Melt Into You by Lisa Plumley

Melt Into You (edition 2012)

by Lisa Plumley

Member:AVoraciousReader
Title:Melt Into You
Authors:Lisa Plumley
Info:
Rating:**
Tags:contemporary, romance

Melt Into You by Lisa Plumley

Natasha Jennings takes a job as assistant to Damon Torrance, heir to a chocolate company on the verge of meteoric rise. Natasha has done her homework and if she has to give up her dreams to support her husband’s then she wants to help Torrance Chocolates rise to the top, taking her with them.

Damon Torrance lives by the mantra all work and no play makes for a dull person. He considers himself lucky, he plays hard, works little and beds every woman who gives him the come on, which is all of them.

This is a well-written book that has moments of humor and insight. However, the characters of Natasha and Damon are not very likeable. Damon is an ass. His antics have him constantly needing bailed out by Natasha and he’s a man-whore. He beds anything in a skirt in any place he feels like and to hell with what anyone thinks of him because he’s Mr. Perfect who can charm his way out of anything. We rarely see him do a lick of work in this book. I couldn’t stand him. He becomes a bit more likeable and actually seems human at the end.

Natasha has a thing for Damon so she puts up with his crap for 10 years. He never noticed she was pregnant or that she went through a divorce. Really?! He never thinks about how very much she does for him, yet she continues to be his doormat. Until the day she finally leaves. I really began to like her then. But then she had to take him into her home and, here we go again, with Mr. Charm getting exactly what he wants.

They redeem themselves a bit at the end, but it would’ve been nice if Damon hadn’t been so Perfect from the start and Natasha less of a doormat. He was beyond irritating, she a little less so. Since this is my first Lisa Plumley book, I’ll read a few more just to see if this was a one-off for me.

*Many thanks to Kensington for providing me with a review copy. Please see disclaimer page on my blog. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Dec 23, 2012 |
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A book of tasty treats.

Opening Sentence: Damon Torrence believed in a lot of things.

The Review:

Melt Into You is a bittersweet, pun absolutely unavoidable, tale of love, not unlike the traditional storyline of an addict and the woman who has loved him and always will love him, secretly anyway. And by addict I don’t mean the drugaholic type, I mean addicted to the high life – the fast money, faster cars and even faster women. And, as an added bonus, complete obliviousness to those he is supposedly closest to. Come. On. Seriously, how can you spend every working moment, and even non-working ones with the same person and know next to nothing about them. This man’s very-personal-personal-assistant was hired just after her honeymoon, but by the end of the book she had not only gotten a divorce, but she also has an eight-year-old son.

Damon Torrance, or “Demon Damon” as one of the characters in the book likes to call him, is heir to the throne of a chocolate making empire. Though to give credit where credit is due, he did help that itty bitty shop expand into the vast kingdom it is today with smarts and web skills. And of course, his handsome visage didn’t hurt either. But this good ol’ boy’s luck takes a nasty turn for the bad and he is asked to take a break from the job. The events following his worst day ever are truly tragic, and for that you kind of want to feel sad for him. But, I don’t know if that’s truly what finally made me actually like him. I’m not really sure I did through most of it, not until towards the end of the book, where they finally start to find their happily-ever-after. Not that he needs to be liked for the story to be good, just sayin’.

Now, Natasha Jennings is likeable from page 1. Well, actually somewhere around page 5 (I read the ARC copy) when she first runs into Damon as he is preparing to “hump like a bunny” with a reporter…right on his desk…in his office…that he shares with his father. It is then that she feels that initial spark that leads her to fall for the man who will be her boss. This bit of spark lends itself to many a sleepless night, and possibly the eventual end of her marriage. So, when this bad boy asks for one too many favors, one too many times, she calls it quits. And miraculously, she finds herself smack dab in the middle of the best streak of good luck she has ever known. She wins at slots, her car starts running better, and magic lawn fairies have even tidied up her lawn. Truly amazing.

But there is still one thing weighing heavy on her heart, Damon, and her love for him. So when he shows up on her doorstep, homeless and injured, she feels she can do no less than help him. And in the process, maybe help herself…to a large helping of Damon that is. And who wouldn’t after finding out that this bad boy has turned good. Because, from the sounds of things, this guy is H. O. T.

This is my first Lisa Plumley novel, but I have added the rest of her books to my personal TBR list. For me, this was a nice break from the abnormal, or paranormal anyway, and I think that every gal needs a little love story like this one, every once in a while.

Notable Scene:

“If you were me,” he called to Jason cheerfully as he stepped out and grabbed a towel to wrap around himself, “you’d buy yourself a new Porsche, fill every room of your house with gold-plated calculators, then get personal with every pretty girl in sight.”

“Nope.” Jason rounded the corner. Upon seeing that the steam-filled bathroom wasn’t featuring a full-on shower-time peep show, he leaned in the doorway. He crossed his arms. “If I were you,” he argued, “I’d take another look at Natasha. Then I’d beg her to forgive me for being such an ass, and I’d try my damndest to make things right somehow.” He gave Damon a meaningful grin. “Then I’d buy myself a new Porsche.”

“You now, you probably could afford a Porsche right now. It’s not as though we’re skinflints at Torrance Chocolates.”

“I know. But our portfolio took a hit in the economic downturn, and Amy’s concerned about retirement. So—“

“Retirement?” Damon wiped condensation off the colossal, gilded-edged mirror. His reflection stared back, bleary-eyed and bleak. Damn. He really needed some sleep. “You’re thirty-six.”

“It’s never too soon to plan. Compound interest being what it is, the bulk of the dividends won’t be fully realized until—“

Damon groaned. “Cut the financial talk, Egghead.” He made a time-out T with his hands. “You’re making me reconsider my stance on coffee.”

“Good. You should reconsider your stance on a lot of things.”

Hell. “Who are you, Jiminy Cricket?” In the mirror, Damon met his friend’s gaze. “Did I drunk-dial you and ask for a lecture? Is annoying, know-it-all ass-hattery on sale today?”

FTC Advisory: Kensington/Zebra provided me with a copy of Melt Into You. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jun 10, 2012 |
Melt Into You by Lisa Plumley
I am trying to understand what I have missed in this novel since I’m so unhappy with it. I don’t mind allowing the author to make me stretch my disbelief. However, the point that this author forces the issue makes me feel like overly stretched taffy. I am ready to snap.

When Natasha steps into the office of her new boss for the very first time, she finds him in a very compromising picture on top of his desk with a woman who was supposed to be interviewing him. So Natasha puts her foot down and sets up conditions in order for her to feel comfortable with the situation. You see, Damon is charismatic, sexy, bad-boy, egotistical and just plain annoying.
Natasha has finally had enough-enough breaking up with his girlfriends for him , bailing him out of jail and difficult situations and covering his butt. She finally quits while Damon is in the midst of a very difficult situation. And with Natasha gone, Damon’s luck has fallen into a spiral. He can no longer talk or finesses his way out fo bad things, and oh my so many bad things are happening to him.
Strangle very good things are happening to Natasha now.

What bothered me the most is, I am missing a few pages in my download or perhaps I skimmed something important…but how can anypne not notice that their personal assistant is pregnant or had gone through a divorce? This is just one of the flaws I found with this book.
Damon is written like he is slightly learning impaired and I wonder how can someone so shallow, inane and sexually promiscuous have the time to run a multi-million dollar company. .Ms Plumley’s writing style or rather ‘voice’ does not change when she is writing for Damon. He speaks somewhat like a twenty-two year old girl (a bit like Natasha). In addition, occasionally he speaks and has the libido of a 16-year-old boy.

Damon and Natasha both grow towards the end of the novel, but not enough to keep me interested. ( )
  Cats57 | May 26, 2012 |
All the good reviews of this title had me primed to enjoy a light hearted romp but some glaring plot holes torpedoed the whole thing. The premise of this novel is that overly responsible, self sacrificing Natasha has been millionaire playboy Damon's assistant for ten years. He takes her for granted. She has a secret crush on him. A crisis finally motivates her to quit. He loses his mojo and thinks Natasha is the key to getting her back.

The problem is that although Natasha has been his assistant for 10 years, he apparently has no idea that she gave birth to a son and has gotten divorced in that time. A reader could believe this unlikely premise if Natasha worked virtually or something. A reader could believe that an assistant could be taken for granted and that a handsome player would not be interested in the personal lives of his underlings but this reader CANNOT believe that a charmer like Damon could work with a person for 10 years and NOT notice a pregnancy. Wouldn't the other people in the office notice a kid? Family pictures?

Sorry, Ms. Plumley, this is too big of a crater in your plot to overlook. ( )
1 vote montano | May 5, 2012 |

When his administrative assistant, Natasha Jennings, resigns from Torrance Chocolates, playboy Damon Torrance is determined to get her back, and Natasha, who has had a secret crush on him for ten years, has trouble resisting him.

Lisa Plumley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,336,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible