Finale (Hush, Hush) by Becca Fitzpatrick

Finale (Hush, Hush) (edition 2012)

by Becca Fitzpatrick

447None23,229 (3.89)3
Member:ReadingWithMartinis
Title:Finale (Hush, Hush)
Authors:Becca Fitzpatrick
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:***

Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick

In the finale book of the hush,hush serie Nora and Patch think that they can be together but they can't because Nora is left being in charge of the nephilim and they don't like that she is dating Patch because he is a falling angel so they fake break up and she starts to fake date her second in command, Dante, and he and Scott, her friend, train her to be a good leader and to try and stop the war between the nephilim and fallen angels. One day when Nora and Dante are training to show her skills on convent he gives her something to drink and she later finds out that what he has been giving her is devil craft that helps her to be stronger and faster but it is also addicting. One day as Nora is walking she is approached by a man named Pepper and that he wants to talk to Patch because someone is blackmailing him and he thinks it is Patch.Later they find out that Pepper knows who is blackmailing him but he needs Patch to kill the person and Patch tells him that in return he needs to give him the last feathers off every fallen angel so that they can burn them and he says that ok he will do it but that it might take long. When Patch and Nora go to the cemetery to investigate who is blackmailing Pepper but she is stabbed and they see that it is Dante and that he tells them that he has been working for the fallen angels because he knows that the nephilim are doom. After that Noras cut does not heal like it needs to so Patch tells her that she needs to take the antibody or else she is going to be addictive to devil craft and Nora makes Patch believe that she did took it.After that Dante tells Nora that he is going to tell everyone that she killed Hank but Nora challenges him to a due and he agrees. The day before the duel Pepper delivers the feathers but when Scott and Nora pick them out they are not there because Marcie burned them all including Patch's saying that she should be the leader nephilim and not Nora.After that all the fallen angels go to hell including Patch. The day of the duel the fallen angels attack and Dante and Nora fight but Dante has taken Devilcraft so he is winning so Scott gets in the middle of the fight and dies. Nora in regged poses Dantes bodie and makes him kill himself.After that the nephilim win and make the fallen angels swear that they are not going to possess their bodies. After that she finds out that Detective Basso is an archangel and he tells her that when the time is right to go for a nice, clean cut through the middle of the mark in her wrist.After that she finds Patch who possess Rixon long enough to get through the gates of Hell and tell her that every angel that left was injected with devilcraft, and when it died with Dante, it killed all of the fallen angels. In the end they make a blood pack and when Nora cuts herself she does what Detective Basso told her to do and when her blood mixes with Patches he can feel again, and this was a gift from Detective Basso. Three years later they go to Vees weeding. ( )
  GeraldyC.B1 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I may or may not have been emotionally distraught upon finishing this book. Not only does it conclude the time I get to spend with Patch (in my head, mind you), but it also concludes a series I've grown quite attached to.

I think it's important to point out I have an incredibly biased opinion of this book because not only am I a fan of Becca Fitzpatrick, but I'm a fan of the Hush, Hush saga in general. I rated this book a 5/5, but that doesn't mean it was perfect and I see no issues with it. It simply means I'm struggling to find things to point out that I didn't like.

This book picks up less than twenty-four hours after the end of Silence, which is refreshing since we don't miss a beat, and since I picked them up one after the other it was like reading a continuous book. We see the aftermath of Nora killing Hank, and how the Nephilim army is reacting to the sudden disappearance--as they do not know Nora killed Hank--of their leader. No one likes Nora at all in the army, save for Scott and Dante *shudder*, but she swore an oath to Hank that she would lead his army, or die, taking her mom along with her.

I found that this book contained the same tasteful plot twist that Hush, Hush did that we lacked in Silence. Nora is kept in the dark and confused about quite a few things throughout the book, unsure of how she's going to go about dealing with the war looming on the horizon. When the plot twist finally hits, close to 150 pages or so before the end of the book, it's literally a moment where I basically looked like this:

I would like to pat Fitzpatrick on the back for feeding her readers such lovely plot twists. Really. I didn't suspect anything--I could even guess until it was pushed in my face--until the twist was revealed.

I hate to say it but I do not always like Nora. Actually sometimes I want to punch her in the face and shake her shoulders and maybe hit her with a baseball bat. There are many moments where I'm thinking WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING, but I would like to say that she does eventually figure it out. For example: the devilcraft addiction. REALLY NORA?! You KNOW the devilcraft is bad juju, but here you are, drinking it on the side of the road because you can't handle not having it. And then not to mention the obvious lying she does to Patch, which breaks my heart because Patch is trying a lot in this novel to balance both her and the stressful things going on separate from her.

With that said, Nora's jealousy issues piss me off. Granted I hate Dabria just as much as she does because Dabria is a sniveling wench who's just trying to get Patch in bed, but Nora doesn't let Dabria and Dabria's past with Patch go. Ever. Despite the fact that Dabria is a fallen angel who has insides Patch doesn't, and has agreed to help Patch when she doesn't even have to, Nora is downright positive Patch is going to leave her for Dabria. Of course, there's some physical evidence, but Patch doesn't bat an eyelash and is honest with Nora about the situation (while Nora is lying about "drug" abuse).

After reading quite a few reviews on the Hush, Hush saga, I've found more than enough people ranting about Patch having all the symptoms and signs of a rapist. I, however, would like to kick half of you straight in the face. PATCH IS A FICTIONAL CHARACTER WHO IS NOT A REAL HUMAN BEING, NOR IS HE HUMAN IN THE STORY. Patch is a fallen angel, the baddest of the bad boys, and you want him to be as angelic as you want every Prince Charming to be? Jesus Christ, wake the hell up. Fitzpatrick wrote Patch as the kind of bad boy that's seen in media everywhere today. He pokes, he prods, he taunts, he makes fun, he says innuendos. Not to mention it's clear Patch knows a lot about Nora before he has even met her, since he's been keeping an eye on her for some time. Another issue quite a few people seem to have with him: he's a "stalker." No, no he is not. Patch and Nora happen to be at the same library at the same time in the same town that they both live in? Goodness, throw Fitzpatrick in jail for not making Patch go to a library three towns over so he can avoid be slapped with a stalker label. Yes, Patch does show up in places he likely shouldn't, but let's remember the reason why Patch is interested in Nora at all: he wants a human body, and he needs to kill her to do it. IT'S ALL RIGHT THERE. If his behavior triggers you, and makes you feel uncomfortable, DON'T READ THE GOD DAMN BOOK. Fitzpatrick did a fantastic job making Patch both likable to the readers, and uncomfortable to Nora. He isn't supposed to be everything you want him to be. If you want Prince Charming who searches far and wide for the girl who dropped a slipper, this isn't the book for you, and you'll hate Patch. /end rant

Anyway, I quite like Vee and Scott. I hate Dante. Marcie makes me want to start a cat fight. Dabria is a whore. Pepper is cute in an annoying way, but I end up disliking him too.

Fitzpatrick is a great writer. She isn't perfect--is any writer?--but I enjoy reading her work and don't cringe at strange sentence structures, grow bored with excessive descriptions, or want to rip my hair out at plot holes. She ties everything together in a nice, well-wrapped package that I will likely read again.

I will admit that there are things about this book I didn't like, but that happens with all books, really. I can't like every single book without flaw. Nora bothers me a lot sometimes, but I think she's characterized well. You shouldn't like the heroine all the time; you should want to wring her neck when she's doing something stupid.

I will always wish we knew more about Patch's past, but I understand Fitzpatrick when she says that maybe Patch doesn't want us to know. I suppose it allows the readers to be curious, and maybe make up their own stories. That's always fun.

Overall, this was a fantastic read. It took me less than a week to finish, and I was sad to put it down. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote SydneyNicole | Nov 29, 2013 |
Amazing if there is a strong word as this one to describe Silence i would say but i don’t think there is.
I have to admit that at first I wasn’t going to read it but as soon as I started I couldn’t stop and I have to admit that Silence was much better than the first three books, its epical, magical, the relationship between the characters was just intense and captivating. Patch and Nora they really made my day, Scott and Vee even though I wanted to be ended as good as patch and Nora relationship but still Vee had her happy ending even if I felt really sorry for Scott I didn’t expected it but his sacrifice was so “chevalresque” , I really liked his character so deep so honest. ( )
  Noussaiba | Nov 28, 2013 |
Well. Now I wish I hadn't bothered to finish this series. That stupid OCD part of me has GOT to go when it comes to finishing a series. ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
This is the fourth and final volume of the Hush, Hush saga, and even the author seems glad to get it over with. Nora continues to be jealous, naive, and self-centered, but Patch, the fallen angel, has become even more perfect and less fallen-ish, and - rather improbably - loves Nora not only more than ever but unconditionally. There is an epic confrontation between the Nephilim and fallen angels, and all’s well that ends well. And in a sudden and unconvincing epiphany, Nora admits she has been an idiot. An epilogue tacked on to the end adds some improbable events that I would say merits more explanation, except I really wouldn’t want to read another volume! ( )
  nbmars | Sep 3, 2013 |

"Nora and Patch must hide their relationship in order to end the war between the fallen angels and the Nephilim."--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible