The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Collections:Your library, In the blog
Rating:***
Tags:S&SAust

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (The Mara Dyer Trilogy) by Michelle Hodkin

Some stories have a way of crawling under your skin, taking up residence in your mind, twisting themselves around your heart. As you read them they fill you with a sensation better than any drug-induced high can give. There are few books who tell these kinds of stories to me, but this series has joined those ranks. I only hope I can survive until Book 3 is released. ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
Exactly what I wanted and more! The unbecoming of Mara Dyer is one of my favorite books I’ve read in the past year. So naturally I had very high expectations of the second book and I’m glad to say that Michelle Hodkins met every single one. She delivered a more than worthy sequel to the exquisite read that was the first book.

If you haven’t read the first book you must. We were all left with questions and mind boggling doubts by the end of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. And of course a crazy shocking cliffhanger that blew our minds out of proportions. Well this book picks right after the end of the first one and while we get a few treats and hints, they aren’t full answers. If anything this book leaves us with bigger questions and more doubts than before. I’m not going to delve too much into the plot because I might spoil the story. This book is very mysterious, it leaves you wondering and trying to put the pieces together of what seems to be a very illogical puzzle. So anything I might say may ruin the eerily elements that make this book so captivating. That said I’m going to go ahead and praise it for being one of the best YA books I’ve read so far this year. And still continues to be one of my favorite series.
There is an almost perfect balance between the romance and dark gripping elements that are occurring all through out the book. The chemistry between Mara and Noah is almost palpable. It was just WOW! It was so intense and sexy. Of course Noah Shaw is the sexiest, earning him a spot in my top 5 book boyfriend’s list. Noah gushing aside, I was very satisfied with the role he played in this book. There is a little bit more mystery to him in this one. We know he is hiding something and there are some secrets and a sort of darkness and bitterness to him that make him a more alluring character. Then there is Mara who everybody thinks is crazy and even though she knows she isn’t, there is still doubt inside her. I felt so sorry for her during the course of this story. I felt like everybody was out to get her. I was anxious hoping that nothing bad would happen to her. The struggle inside her was definitely hard and a big conflict. I found that it was hard to see what was real sometimes and what wasn’t. There are some minor characters that I didn't think much of them but turned out to have bigger roles than what I thought of at first.
I had no idea what direction this book would take and let’s just say it was definitely not what I expected. Michelle Hodkin managed to once again fool me and blow my mind. I loved every twist and angle the story took. And the ending was perfect. It left me begging for more. I’m going to go crazy thinking about it for the remaining months I have till the next book comes out.
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
Wow! What an emotional roller coaster ride... To say this one was a mind f* is an understatement. My heart just broke for Mara. Her family still thinks she is crazy. They don't believe anything she says. She spends time in a mental ward and has to act like everything is fine to be released. Once released she finds herself tangled in more danger and eventually a seat at a daily therapy retreat. Noah is once again by her side and refusing to do anything, but protect her *swoon*. Together they try to piece together the nightmares, freaky dolls, charms, hallucinations, and the past to present relation.

This book is everything a sequel should be. You get answers to questions and there is true development in the storyline. It's like reading a book for the first time all over again. Nothing felt repeated or lacking in importance. Each and every word came together to form a hauntingly, emotional, beautiful read.

This is YA read, but edged on the adult side. The sexual tension has progressed to actions and the romance is actually quite yummy. Noah will always be one of my favorites and this paranormal series will always be on my top reads list! ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
I'm getting totally irritated by Noah's co-dependence on Mara and his insistence that Mara is a damsel in distress who needs saving. Too Twilightish for my taste. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
This book was much darker than the first one but I was completely sucked in to Mara's character even more so because of this. She didn't give up but she was so fragile inside, always second guessing herself and so close to breaking. Without Noah to reassure her and encourage her to keep going, I don't think she would have kept fighting. He was definitely her rock.
I also want to say that one thing I really liked about the book was that it completely surprised me at the end. I was not expecting things to turn out the way they did. Many times, I can predict how the story will turn out once I get to a certain point. Not this one. Very few questions were answered and the story left me with a huge cliffhanger even more frustrating than the end of the first book. I was also extremely happy that the author didn't mess too much with Noah and Mara's relationship. I didn't have to deal with any triangles or have them constantly pulled apart just when they are on the brink of happiness. So many books follow this pattern and it can get tiring so I was glad for the consistency of the relationship in this book. I could completely focus on the story.
I don't want to give any story elements away to those who haven't read the book but I have one possible prediction for the story. I could be totally wrong but what a huge shocker would it be if Daniel was somehow involved in what was happening. I don't know what makes me feel this way. Maybe it started when she found her journal in his room. I just feel like he isn't as perfect as he seems. However, I could be wrong and it could also be the complete opposite and somehow he will find out the truth and be one of the heroes of the story. I just don't know yet what role he will play in the third book. These are just some of the ramblings that go through my head...
I Can't wait for the third book, The Retribution of Mara Dyer. I NEED to know what happens since this story ended with such an explosion of events!
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |

"Mara Dyer continues to unravel the mystery of her powers and her relationship with Noah"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible