Black City (Black City Chronicles) by…

Black City (Black City Chronicles) (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Richards

Member:titania86
Title:Black City (Black City Chronicles)
Authors:Elizabeth Richards
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Wishlist, Read :), Owned, eBooks
Rating:****1/2
Tags:teen, vampire, fantasy, racism

Black City by Elizabeth Richards

Another 3.5, rounded up to GR 4 stars.
I like the story, the setting, but somehow the characters just didn't fit well for me. ( )
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |
Another 3.5, rounded up to GR 4 stars.
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |
Interested to see the sequel. I loved the world and the beasties. Didn't care for the love story or the conclusion of the romance arc. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
Can't wait for this one! :)

11.13.12 - IT's OUT!!! Wooohooo! I'll be stopping my Currently reading for this one. :) Gonna read it now. Yay! You just have to wait Fifty Shades Freed. :P

I can't gather my thoughts for this book... Black City is a Dystopian AND Paranormal book rolled into one. I don't know why but the love story reminds me of Romeo and Juliet. They have something in common. Maybe because Natalie Buchanan is the Emissary's daughter... And well, Ash Fisher is a Twin-blood. A half-Darkling and half-human. You know, forbidden love and all that shenanigans.

I must say that the world building is great. Although I first became confused but as you read on, the questions that pops into your head while reading were answered one by one.

BUT it's a bit sad cause I don't really feel the connection between the main characters. I mean, they are great, uh, I feel the connection but not that strong like what I feel in the past for the other books I have read. Eh, maybe I'm still in Fifty Shades so that's why. Characters in there were too strong. :O

Anyway, I almost drop my tablet earlier when I read the part about that heart thingy. I had my theory about that and damn, I am so right. I really don't like it when suddenly there's another person thrown into the love story. >:( Love Triangle sucks sometimes.

Ah, Darklings are vampires, essentially. But there's different types. There's the cat type too. And the one with the wings. :O Like an Angel. Well, I did enjoy reading this book. So yeah, 3.5 stars. ( )
  lexiechan | Sep 10, 2013 |
Black City has been on my radar since early 2012, well before its release. The folks who were lucky enough to get early ARCs were all raving about it, and at that point I was still interested in reading books about vampires. Admittedly, my interest in vampires has waned a bit since then, but nonetheless I was pretty excited to finally have a reason to read this book, since it had been sitting on my shelves (or rather, in a giant pile in my bedroom) since its November release. The cover definitely played a factor in my interest - I mean, just look at it! - but I found the story itself to not quite live up to the gorgeous packaging.

At its heart, Black City is a book involving a forbidden romance. Yes, there is a dystopian world, and the city the characters live in is falling down around them. But at its heart, this is a romance between Natalie, whose mother is the Emissary in charge of the city, and Ash, a twin-blood Darkling, or vampire. Mixing the two races is expressly forbidden, and in fact, Ash is considered property, not a person. In Black City is a ghetto that houses all the other Darklings, but because Ash's father is human, Ash is allowed to remain outside of the ghetto walls.

As someone who is a sucker for forbidden romances - even if I'm oftentimes disappointed - I was hard-pressed NOT to pick this book up. And there were so many aspects of this book that I really and truly enjoyed. The world-building is phenomenal; the depictions of Black City are amazingly bleak, with the ash raining down around everyone from the burned out buildings, the laborers who are struggling to survive in this less than hospitable landscape, and the giant walls of the ghetto rising up over the landscape in the distance. There's also a lot of political intrigue, in the form of plots that Natalie's mother has put into play, and the very scary leader, Purian Rose, who seems to have an eye on everything and has turned into a cult leader who preaches purity of blood. I got a very large Holocaust-vibe from this book, particularly when it's mentioned that Darklings were rounded up and sent to concentration camps in the Barrenlands. While this world is dark and bleak and horrifying, I found it to be extremely compelling.

The biggest problem with Black City for me personally was, unfortunately, the romance. I wasn't completely sold on Ash and Natalie's connection, and considering that their romance plays such a huge role in the overall story, this caused some issues for me. I was more interested in Ash and Natalie's personal growth, as opposed to their feelings. I did like watching Natalie become stronger and more determined to do what she felt was right, and likewise enjoyed watching Ash's growth into someone who was tired of being pushed around. But the romance itself seemed very typical YA paranormal to me, adding nothing new to what I've already read in other stories. Considering all the things that were done so wonderfully in this book, I just found the romance to really fall flat.

Nonetheless, the events at the end of Black City have guaranteed that I'll pick up the sequel, Phoenix. The political aspects of the world have really ratcheted up, including an appearance by Purian Rose that doesn't bode well for anyone. I look forward to more development of the romance - make me feel something, please! - and more personal growth for both Ash and Natalie. I think they can become quite the powerhouse couple if things are done the way I'm wishing! ( )
  ahandfulofconfetti | Jul 16, 2013 |

A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war

In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable--they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash's long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they're caught, they'll be executed--but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:35 -0400)

Ash, a sixteen-year-old twin-blood who sells his addictive venom, "Haze," to support his dying mother, and Natalie, the daughter of a diplomat, discover their mysterious--and forbidden--connection in the Black City, where humans and Darklings struggle to rebuild after a brutal war.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible