Black City (Black City Chronicles) by…

Black City (Black City Chronicles) (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Richards

1992859,063 (3.82)1
Member:titania86
Title:Black City (Black City Chronicles)
Authors:Elizabeth Richards
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Wishlist, Read :), Owned, eBooks
Rating:****1/2
Tags:teen, vampire, fantasy, racism

Black City by Elizabeth Richards

2.5 stars.

This book started out as something I thought I would love. ...................... That was my brain flat lining. ~.~

The shifts in POV's was done okay, not the best I've seen, I say about a 4.5 out of 10. The whole infatuation thing about the two mains, was a piss off. I'm not going to read the next book, it's going to be a carbon copy of this one. The insta-love gets worst.

The book is a slow read, at 50% nothing major happens, beside a classmates death and the love plot gets underway. That's what blew the book for me; all of a sudden it was all about the forbidden romance. another piss off.

I didn't like the instance love, actually I hated it and it's pretty much why I'm kiboshing YA books.

I normally read YA books after binging on Crime series or true crime novels. You know, like looking at kittens after watching Criminal Minds. They're are easy reads, and full of fluff.

This book was full of crap and made me want to have a shower, a hot scalding one.

It's just not believable.

The love, oh the love, stupid love, it just took up the whole book. Everything was about the sicking cheesy love. Of course you know after they admitted their undying love for one another, after a week, and she chooses Ash over her only, I stress only, real friend, (WTF!) because that's enough time to know someone inside and out. Right.

The main plot was trashed and placed on the, get to it late shelf.

I've place this book on my, going to burin it shelf.

I’ve had a few boyfriends throughout my life and I’ve only really loved one, and it wasn’t my “High school sweet heart.” Because come on, that's what all YA love stories are, no matter what time, future, past, or present.

To me love isn’t something just hits you out of the blue because you ran into a hot guy (that’s lust), It's a mixture of everything. Form the first date, to becoming friends, to finding out everything you hate about that person, to meeting their or your crazy family. Love at first sight is a myth, now lust at first sight, that’s very real. I don’t know about you but if some guy after the first kiss, tells me I’m his blood mate, and we’re fated to be together, and all that jazz, I would run and keep running.

Natalie also has this; -I’m not pretty- thing going on, when she’s actually a hottie. YA novels are starting to sound like the CW network.

And there's just something about making up new swear swords that's just, fucking utterly annoying. If your going to make one up swears, actually make it sound bad, dirty, and cringe worthy. Not something like fragg, what the hell is fragg? Like really, why the hell did the author think that fragg would be the perfect futuristic swear sword? Sounds like something I would tell a child (3-10) to say in place of the "Bad Words". Fuck has been around for centuries, and I believe it's going to stay that way for many more.

If you want new swears, go talk to a sailor, or anyone in the military, we tend to make up some pretty wicket ones, especially when we get hurt ()

Pulse, the not so bad boy, that's actually an amazing guy, who's is actually a cheating bastard, what the hell. Really what the hell. I got nothing for that one, but pure anger. Ash needs to be stacked in both hearts.

P.S I think teens need to stop saving the world.

P.S.S. In the book the vampires are call “nippers” I’m from Newfoundland and that’s what we call mosquitoes, I just couldn’t take that seriously.

Edit: I just thought of something (I was at work when I wrote the above review)I had some time on the bus to ponder my dislike for Black City. Okay you start out with these so called strong defined characters and all is good, until they fall in love and everything goes to shit. They go from kick ass to throw up on kittens. Cute and sickening. People don't change like that, not that fast.

With Disapoitment and saddness for this thing call a book, I leave you.

Happy Reading

-Emily ( )
  E.A.Walsh | Jun 11, 2015 |
Welcome to this book review !

It was a nice quick read, I liked seeing the point of view of both characters and being able to see everything unphold on both sides. Unfortunatly it was a little bit predicteble at some point, you could easily guess where the book was going by thinking about it a little ! Overall it was really interesting and if you want a Darkling/Vampire kind of book that is easy and fun to read go for it !

-Bookarina :) ( )
  Karina-Valerie | May 20, 2015 |
Following a terrible war, the United Sentry States is divided. There are humans and there are Darklings - in many ways it is as black and white as that, but in many others it is not.

It's in Black City, one of the government's regional headquarters, where Natalie Buchanan, the human daughter of the Emissary and Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling meet one night. It's a chance encounter that could mean trouble for either of them. It does cause trouble that neither of them saw coming, though.

After her father was killed by a Darkling how can she possibly be falling for one? And how, when he's spent so long on the other side of the wall separating Darklings and humans can Ash be feeling as he does for a human? A Sentry no less?

While things between Ash and Natalie could certainly mean trouble for the both of them, they're not the only one's in danger. With the war between Darklings and humans just ended and things still almost at a boiling point, any decision could be a crucial one.

You know how vampire books are supposed to be over? How Stephenie Meyer put a stake in that genre? Yeah. If you really believe that, please read The Immortal Rules (by Julie Kagawa), The Hunt (by Andrew Fukuda) and Black City and let me know if you still think so.

I'll admit that I never really did think vampire books, as a whole, had bitten the dust. Sure Twilight seemed to bring everybody and their second cousin's vampire book out of the woodwork over the last six-ish years. The good, the bad, the really bad.

But we seem to be moving toward a reinvented vampire world. Vampires don't have to be your Anne Rice vampire or even your Buffy vampire -- and they don't sparkle, either. Authors are creating a whole world around creatures who are still vampires, even if they tend to have different names and some different attributes.

Which is what Elizabeth Richards has done in Black City with the Darklings. The Darklings do drink blood, the don't like sunlight . . . but they attend school, they're governed as a race like humans are. That and so much more that is a part of the story and a part of the world Richards created in her novel.

Black City is a post-apocalyptic, almost steampunk if the background set story where the details really help to create a fully realized world. The government is explained, the war, the segregation, the current discord, the characters lives -- both with the war and currently. It's all worked into the story so that things are learned as you go, not so that it feels like a history lesson.

This, all as you're getting the great story between the characters. Natalie who is the daughter of the Emissary and just moved back to Black City. A girl who's also dealing with recent loss her family suffered, which also plays into how she feels about Darklings. Then there's Ash who is one character to the outside world but seems to be another character when we see his thoughts and as he lets people in more.

I really enjoyed that the novel was told in alternating, first person perspective chapters allowing us to get more insight into both Natalie and Ash. It gives the reader more of a view both into their lives and into their thoughts on the other.

Black City is an incredibly imaginative as well as incredibly readable book that draws you in right away. The world Elizabeth Richards has created seems to be fully realized and I'm excited that this is only the first in a series!

(arc received through publisher; review originally posted on my blog)
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
So a more accurate rating of this book would probably be 3.5 stars. This is definitely a different take on a vampire story. I like that there is some scientific reasoning to their beings and conditions. Also, I think it's cool that there are also different kinds of vampires, each with their own distinctive markings and habitat and such. I think it gives the book more depth when you can string science along with it.
It's a rather interesting story of two people with dueling backgrounds finding love in one another. And revolution and conflict always enhance a budding love story. Especially if both people are rather important to both sides of said conflict. This book seemed to keep war at bay and allow the love story to unfold. So I now expect the next book to transition from creating love to maintaining it while a war begins to unfold. And if the next book is anything like this ending, the next book will be spectacular! ( )
  JosP | Jan 15, 2015 |
A refreshing take on vampires (and associated demons) - in this dystopian world they are segregated members of society living behind a wall and suffering from hunger and disease (possible metaphor for racism?). This makes for a very interesting world and the two main characters - Natalie, the daughter of high-ranking politician, and Ash, a halfbreed (or twin-blood) - struggle to navigate through their world as well as with their own personal demons. A good read for those who enjoy dystopian YA novels or vampire reads. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Nov 1, 2014 |

A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war

In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable--they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash's long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they're caught, they'll be executed--but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:35 -0400)

Ash, a sixteen-year-old twin-blood who sells his addictive venom, "Haze," to support his dying mother, and Natalie, the daughter of a diplomat, discover their mysterious--and forbidden--connection in the Black City, where humans and Darklings struggle to rebuild after a brutal war.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,866,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible