Black City (Black City Chronicles) by…

Black City (Black City Chronicles) (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Richards

Member:titania86
Title:Black City (Black City Chronicles)
Authors:Elizabeth Richards
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Wishlist, Read :), Owned, eBooks
Rating:****1/2
Tags:teen, vampire, fantasy, racism

Black City by Elizabeth Richards

A refreshing take on vampires (and associated demons) - in this dystopian world they are segregated members of society living behind a wall and suffering from hunger and disease (possible metaphor for racism?). This makes for a very interesting world and the two main characters - Natalie, the daughter of high-ranking politician, and Ash, a halfbreed (or twin-blood) - struggle to navigate through their world as well as with their own personal demons. A good read for those who enjoy dystopian YA novels or vampire reads. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Nov 1, 2014 |
I was actually first introduced to this book via twitter. The author had posted something about going on a US tour for the book, and I, being a writer myself with aspirations of authordom, tweeted to her that this was an amazing opportunity that many only dream about. So it made me smile a bit when I finally got down to reading the book and remembered that short conversation.

So...this book was not what I expected. I do not remember what I initially thought it was going to be about last year when I first checked it out and read its blurb, but I know I did not expect Darklings and Sentries and second hearts. It was a bit darker than I expected too, which I absolutely loved. I mean, near the end, about page 292, I almost didn't want to finish because I was having a dark moment and I didn't want to lose any of the characters I was beginning to fall in love with.

I also love how this book has quite a bit of foreshadowing in it, but not so much that I felt I knew what was going to happen. It was just enough that I was kind of excited to guess future events, and sometimes I was right, but the events never happened the way I figured. It was unexpected and absolutely wonderful.

Also....I think I know who Purian Rose really is.

The story was very well done and I absolutely cannot wait to buy the second one and pick up where this first left off. I have to know what happens. I have to know if my prediction about Purian Rose is correct, and I have to know where all my favorite characters and least favorites will stand when the war between races finally ends, if it ever does. ( )
  westkayla1221 | Sep 25, 2014 |
This was a really good book. The forbidden romance was a large part of it, but it wasn't all that. And the end, that was crazy. I was really worried about it for a moment before I realized where Richards was going with the story.

I liked the alternating perspectives of Ash and Natalie. It gave the reader more insight into both the world and the story. ( )
  forsakenfates | Sep 21, 2014 |
Another 3.5, rounded up to GR 4 stars.
I like the story, the setting, but somehow the characters just didn't fit well for me. ( )
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |
Another 3.5, rounded up to GR 4 stars.
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |

A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war

In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable--they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash's long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they're caught, they'll be executed--but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:35 -0400)

Ash, a sixteen-year-old twin-blood who sells his addictive venom, "Haze," to support his dying mother, and Natalie, the daughter of a diplomat, discover their mysterious--and forbidden--connection in the Black City, where humans and Darklings struggle to rebuild after a brutal war.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,340,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible