The Bible of Clay by Julia Navarro

The Bible of Clay (2005)

by Julia Navarro

366None29,466 (2.95)1

In the beginning of this book I had a hard time telling apart the characters and, consequently, seperating the story lines.
When the story continued however and the characters appeared more AND more of their back ground was revealed, the story grabbed me and did not let go.

It was a good story, in which war, archeology, greed, hatred, revenge unconditional love, betrayal and trust all had their roles.

At first I could not imagine why a bunch of very old people would hire a hitman to kill another very old man and his (innocent) granddaughter. When I read on, the reasons got clearer and clearer. I must admit, that those parts of the book were very disturbing to read. Not that I close my eyes for the things that happened in WWII, but to read it like this (and have my own private in-head movie add images and sounds to it) was a different thing.

What struck me was, that the author was not (as far as I could tell) condemning or judging the characters she used. They all had very good reasons for doing the things they did, be it unlawfull reasons.
For me that made the book even more pleasant to read. Recommended for people who like historical novels. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
The Bible of Clay is a riveting novel about the search for clay tablets in Iraq just 2 months before the U. S. invasion. The tablets are expected to prove that the Genesis story of creation was dictated by Abraham to a scribe 1,000 years before the papyrus version that scientists know today.

Archeologist Clara Tannenberg announced at an archeology seminar that her grandfather, Alfred Tannenberg, had found two cuneiform clay tablets that suggest that the biblical Abraham's story of the creation of the earth was dictated to a scribe named Shamas while he was living in Ur. She asks for funds to do an excavation in Iraq where she suspects that the tablets will be found. She is ridiculed by the other attendees but is still able to find financing. Her husband, Ahmed Husseini, is the head of the Bureau for Archeological Excavation in Iraq and is highly respected. Both he and his father-in-law, a former SS officer in Nazi Germany, are friends of Saddam Hussein and can easily obtain approval from Saddam for just about anything. However, 3 of Alfred's childhood friends and fellow Nazis, try to stop him from finding the tablets and claiming them for himself and his grand-daughter. There are also Holocaust survivors who have never forgotten his face or his name who have been trying to locate him for decades in order to bring him to justice.

The story flows back and forth between biblical times, Germany in WWII and the present time. There is plenty of action so the pace is fast. I think that the story could have been told with 100 fewer pages. It got bogged down in the latter part of the middle but I was still riveted from page 1. ( )
  Violette62 | Jun 5, 2011 |
Enough! I give up! 8+ hours into this audiobook I’ve finally decided I can’t take any more! Awful awful dreck!

Premise: Abraham had a local boy transcribe his thoughts on God into clay tablets before he left the land of Ur for Canaan and founded the Jewish religion. Nazis find some of the tablets during World War II and keep their find secret. Sixty years later, one of them decides his legacy should be that his good daughter and her Iraqi husband should be the discoverers of the Bible of clay. They begin an archeological dig for the rest of the tablets. A do-gooder priest, four revenge-minded Jews, jilted ex-partners, disbelieving archeologists, and the U.S. government hell bent on invading Iraq complicate matters.

So far, I really can’t find anything right about this. I knew it would be bad fairly quickly in, but I soldiered on for the train wreck value. I suspected it would be so bad it would be hilarious. But really, it’s so bad it’s tedious.

Full review at my blog: http://reading.kingrat.biz/reviews/bible-of-clay-julia-navarro ( )
  KingRat | Aug 18, 2009 |
This thriller plods along with no end in sight. Attempts to create urgency only slow the story, characters are added for a twists that are obvious from page one. ( )
  mantooth | Jun 28, 2009 |
Pathetically boring. ( )
  xavierroy | Oct 9, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440243033, Mass Market Paperback)

Internationally bestselling author Julia Navarro riveted readers around the world with her provocative novel The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud. Now she goes even further, in this electrifying thriller about a biblical discovery in the Iraqi desert—and a deadly struggle on the eve of war to unearth a truth that’s waited 3,000 years to be told….

In St. Peter’s Basilica, a man sits in a confessional asking forgiveness for a murder he’s about to commit. And a young priest begins a desperate journey to stop him.

It’s the beginning of a ruthless race to find a rumored cache of sacred texts that could be one of the most explosive discoveries of all time. For as Clara Tannenberg and a team of renegade archaeologists journey deep into an Iraq on the brink of war, another far more sinister group is determined to get there first. Sweeping from the time of the biblical patriarchs to the front lines of the Iraqi conflict, from the horrors of Nazi Germany to the back rooms of Washington, D.C., The Bible of Clay is a novel of unrelenting, thought-provoking, and all-too-plausible suspense.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:56 -0400)

Among rumors of Iraq's imminent invasion, time is running out for Clara and her husband Ahmed who have put together a ragtag team of renegade archaeologists and inexperienced students to excavate the Bible of Clay from deep within the heart of Iraq. These clay tablets predate the Bible by a thousand years and could be one of the most important discoveries of all time, only another far more sinister team is determined to get there first--a team that has roots that reach deeply into the horrors of Nazi Germany.--From publisher's description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,508,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible