This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously,…

This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It

by David Wong

English (34)  German (1)  All (35)
I. Hate. This. Book.

Okay, not really, but the ending, which I won't spoil, was upsetting.

So let me tell you, this book was well and truly full of spiders. Gross. It made me shudder just reading about them!!!! This sequel was all together creepier, and more serious than it's predecessor. John Dies At The End, while creepy, and it had it's sad parts, was a lot lighter and more humorous. Things in this book escalated quickly. Stuff got serious within the first chapter or two.

It doesn't take away from the book at all. This was equally good, and it was evident that things clearly had to get worse this time around. John and Dave are thrown into save-the-world situations, again, only this time they get separated and have to work toward the same goals while apart. It definitely made for some anxious moments and the reader routing for them to make their way back together.

There was still humor, and John and Dave's shenanigans will probably always be epic. I am very much looking forward to the next installment! ( )
  Virago77 | Sep 25, 2017 |
This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It
Written by: David Wong
Narrated by: Nick Podehl
This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It (John Dies at the End #2) by David Wong is soooo good! I got the audible because I watched the movie for book one and thought listening to the book would be close to 'watching' book two. If you haven't read book one, read it first or watch the movie first. I watched it on Netflix. It is important to know certain details in that book for book two. They must of changed the end of the story a bit but it doesn't matter for this book. The key things are in the movie.
This book is so silly and fun. I laughed, giggled, and snorted my way through this. I didn't hurry my way through because I wanted it to last. These two books are a must read! So fun! A stress relief, a get away from reality, a total no-brainer. Give it a try! I will say, "You're Welcome" now.
The narrator is spot on! He makes the book even funnier! Too perfect! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Sep 19, 2017 |
Great book and a fine sequel to John Dies at the end. ( )
  MikePearce | Jun 19, 2017 |
First of all, rest assured that this sequel to John Dies at the End is as good as, and in my opinion even better, than the first. Like JDatE, This Book is Full of Spiders (TBiFoS?) is a perfect blend of laughs and scares. To appropriate a quote from my brief JDatE review, this second book is genuinely both scary and hilarious, eminently quotable and surprisingly thought-provoking. My mind was blown as early as page 25, when Tennet finished his monologue about the bees (the running theme in Wong's books about our skewed perceptions is particularly appealing to me). By that time, I had already reached the conclusion - first manifested when I read JDatE - that David Wong is a genius. Indeed, TBiFoS as a whole is an improvement on its predecessor.

Valid criticisms which were laid at JDatE's door included how it was in fact three shorter stories weaved into one - a criticism which noted how it had originally been published in separate segments online. Such a criticism could not be made of this second book, as Wong tells a single story of a zombie outbreak in the town of [Undisclosed] from beginning to end. I am now convinced that JDatE was not a fluke, and with TBiFoS Wong has proven to be a hilarious comedy writer, and also a master of pacing. The story flows effortlessly, and not a single word is wasted. For example, early on in the book Wong notes how John always buckles his seat belt in his car, 'because he never knew when he would need to ramp something.' For any ordinary comedy writer, this would be a throwaway line intended to make the reader laugh, but Wong is much more than that. Much later in the book, a short chapter ends with 'He [John] flicked his cigarette out of the window. He buckled his seat belt.' (pg. 369). Readers know what is coming, and it brings a smile, to the author's credit. There are many more examples I could give, but one is sufficient to explain how TBiFoS is perfectly written.

Another way in which TBiFoS improves on its predecessor is that some chapters are told from the perspectives of John, Amy and, in one case, Molly(!) These make the book much richer than JDatE, as John and Amy offer different amusing perspectives to the events which unfold. Molly's chapter (pages 251-5) in particular had me grinning from ear to ear and convinced me even further that Wong is a genius. I know I've used the word 'genius' twice now, but I can't think of any other word. Unsurprisingly, Wong himself explains it better than I could:

"I'm going to tell the most ridiculous possible version of it [the story of the zombie outbreak] I can think of. People are going to close it and be like, 'What the fuck did I just read?'" (pg. 488).

Actually, page 488 as a whole may be the single funniest collection of sentences ever committed to paper, as another character comes to Dave to argue about who should sell their story of the zombie outbreak to the media. It is a genuinely fantastic sequence, proving that Wong is the master of meta-comedy. Indeed, any writer who can include a sentence like 'Velvet Jesus bit his head off' (pg. 473) without it seeming out of place (or even unusual, given the other goings-on in [Undisclosed]) is clearly a writer to get excited about. It's more than just a funny book, though; Wong is excellent in building up a rapport between the characters and the reader, leading to the emotional 'sacrifice' ending.

Having said all this, it seems inappropriate to criticise the book, but I do wish more time had been devoted to the mysterious Shadow Men. The character Marconi describes the time-bending powers of these creatures on pages 466 through 468 - this section explains perfectly why I find them fascinating, and I wish they had formed the bulk of the story, rather than the spiders and 'zombies' (although, refreshingly, Wong's zombies are nothing like your same old Romero-esque zombies). The Shadow Men appear only intermittently, unlike in JDatE. When they do appear, the implications of their power are terrifying (note the creepy incident with Amy's hand on page 471) and I wish they were explored further. Maybe in book three? ( )
  MikeFutcher | Mar 18, 2017 |
First of all, look at that cover. On second thought, if you’re afraid of spiders, cover your eyes and scroll on by. I really like it, and I don’t normally take much notice of book covers. Pictures don’t usually do much for me; I’d rather have 1000 words. But apparently I like pictures of books with holes that have book-page-spiders crawling out of them. Who knew?

This book is the sequel to John Dies at the End. Each book tells a complete story that stands on its own, although there are some fun references to the first book that would go over somebody’s head if they hadn’t read it. This second book has the same crazy humor combined with goriness, crudeness, and silliness, but I did think it was toned down a little bit as compared to the first book. On the other hand, I’ve now read almost 900 pages of this author’s writing, so I may have just built up an immunity. Or brain damage.

I didn’t think this plot was as unique and strange as the first one, but it still had its own unique flare and it was told well. In fact, I may have been more absorbed by this story simply because it wasn’t quite so bizarre. It definitely wasn’t devoid of craziness and fun, though. With this book I don’t see much harm in a brief synopsis, as long as I leave out all the juicy details: The story is basically about the zombie apocalypse coming to a small town in the Midwestern U.S., but with the not-really-zombies caused by not-exactly-spiders. Normally I hear the word “zombie” and reflexively reply with the word “ugh”, but this isn’t one of those tedious types of zombie/monster stories. I get bored if a story primarily consists of characters running from scary monsters, finding a temporary refuge, getting found by scary monsters, and running from scary monsters again. This book has an actual story, and it never once felt tedious.

The first book had been told primarily from the first-person perspective of the narrator. In this book, our main characters aren’t together for large portions of the story so the reader gets to spend some time in the heads of the other main characters. I enjoyed that because I felt like I got to know those characters better, and I enjoyed not being confined to a single viewpoint and a single chain of events. On the other hand, I wished the characters were together more often because I think they’re more fun that way.

One semi-spoilerish comment: It seems pretty pointless to persist in calling the town “Undisclosed” to discourage tourists, considering the entire world has been watching news about it for days. The town is likely to be a household name for years. But then, the narrator does make references to potential readers 200 years from now, so maybe he’s trying to prevent tourism in 200 years. :)

In summary, there were some things I liked better about this book as compared to the first book, and some things I liked less. On average, though, I think I enjoyed them about equally. I may have to check out some of the author’s other work someday. ( )
2 vote YouKneeK | Dec 22, 2016 |
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING ACCOUNT CONTAINS FRANK DESCRIPTIONS OF MONSTERS AND MALE NUDITY.
For Carley, who was a better person than I am even though she was a dog.
You know how sometimes when you're drifting off to sleep you feel that jolt, like you were falling and caught yourself at the last second? It's nothing to be concerned about, it's usually just the parasite adjusting its grip.

"Fan favorite David Wong takes readers to a whole new level with this blistering sequel to the cult sensation John Dies at the End, soon to be a movie starring Paul Giamatti Originally released as an online serial where it received more than 70,000 downloads, John Dies at the End has been described as a "Horrortacular", an epic of "spectacular" horror that combines the laugh out loud humor of the best R-rated comedy, with the darkest terror of H.P. Lovecraft. The book went on to sell an additional 60,000 copies in all formats.As the sequel opens, we find our heroes, David and John, again embroiled in a series of horrifying yet mind-bogglingly ridiculous events caused primarily by their own gross incompetence. The guys find that books and movies about zombies may have triggered a zombie apocalypse, despite a complete lack of zombies in the world. As they race against the clock to protect humanity from its own paranoia, they must ask themselves, who are the real monsters? Actually, that would be the shape-shifting horrors secretly taking over the world behind the scenes that, in the end, make John and Dave kind of wish it had been zombies after all. Hilarious, terrifying, engaging and wrenching, This Book Is Full of Spiders, the next thrilling installment, takes us for a wild ride with two slackers from the midwest who really have better things to do with their time than prevent the apocalypse. "--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,534,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible