dismiss

This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously,…

This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It

by David Wong

"Fan favorite David Wong takes readers to a whole new level with this blistering sequel to the cult sensation John Dies at the End, soon to be a movie starring Paul Giamatti Originally released as an online serial where it received more than 70,000 downloads, John Dies at the End has been described as a "Horrortacular", an epic of "spectacular" horror that combines the laugh out loud humor of the best R-rated comedy, with the darkest terror of H.P. Lovecraft. The book went on to sell an additional 60,000 copies in all formats.As the sequel opens, we find our heroes, David and John, again embroiled in a series of horrifying yet mind-bogglingly ridiculous events caused primarily by their own gross incompetence. The guys find that books and movies about zombies may have triggered a zombie apocalypse, despite a complete lack of zombies in the world. As they race against the clock to protect humanity from its own paranoia, they must ask themselves, who are the real monsters? Actually, that would be the shape-shifting horrors secretly taking over the world behind the scenes that, in the end, make John and Dave kind of wish it had been zombies after all. Hilarious, terrifying, engaging and wrenching, This Book Is Full of Spiders, the next thrilling installment, takes us for a wild ride with two slackers from the midwest who really have better things to do with their time than prevent the apocalypse. "--"Originally released as an online serial where it received more than 70,000 downloads, John Dies at the End has been described as a "Horrortacular", an epic of "spectacular" horror that combines the laugh out loud humor of the best R-rated comedy, with the darkest terror of H.P. Lovecraft. The book went on to sell an additional 60,000 copies in all formats. As the sequel opens, we find our heroes, David and John, again embroiled in a series of horrifying yet mind-bogglingly ridiculous events caused primarily by their own gross incompetence. The guys find that books and movies about zombies may have triggered a zombie apocalypse, despite a complete lack of zombies in the world. As they race against the clock to protect humanity from its own paranoia, they must ask themselves, who are the real monsters? Actually, that would be the shape-shifting horrors secretly taking over the world behind the scenes that, in the end, make John and Dave kind of wish it had been zombies after all. Hilarious, terrifying, engaging and wrenching, This Book Is Full of Spiders, the next thrilling installment, takes us for a wild ride with two slackers from the midwest who really have better things to do with their time than prevent the apocalypse. "--… (more)

English (43)  German (2)  All languages (45)
BooYah! It's like a game of D&D come to life--the dumb, but hilarious parts of it.
This one held together throughout much better than the first, but was essentially the same, gonzo horror-humour conspiracy-thing. ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |
Another fully weird and comedic horror, this book showed a lot of improvement in David Wong's writing skill since 'John Dies At The End.' It takes place in the same universe and continues their adventures, but while the first book was clearly written as an online serial, this book was clearly meant to be one coherent novel from beginning, and read as such (okay, maybe coherent is an overstatement, but this is about quality, not content)

This book focuses on a new breed of monster, specifically spider-like beings that parasitically infest human's bodies. Infection seemed to have some mixed results, but one of the things that could happen involved the spider controlling your whole body while lying nestled safely in your mouth, which reminded me a lot of the tongue-eating louse that fish get infected with. I appreciated that, because when I first encountered the louse on the internet, I thought the sight of it sitting there, peering out of the fish's mouth, was the creepiest thing, and it translated to horror well.

One of my biggest complaints about the first book was the sheer number of slurs that characters used. While that did continue into this book and remained equally unnecessary, it happened probably less than half as frequently as it did in the first book, and I appreciated the improvement.

Another complaint that I had more specific to this book was an event in the story that was never addressed. There is a scene where one of the characters loses memory of a certain span of time, and I was waiting eagerly for the book to find out what happened to that character during the time they didn't remember, but we're never told. Because of this, I don't quite understand the purpose to having them lose their memory anyway; it allowed them to interact with characters they had met in that time period as though they were strangers, giving the reader introductions and everything, but I wasn't so sure that killing that extra time period was necessary. Couldn't we have just seen those introductions as they originally happened?

That said, this novel was highly entertaining. It was broken up into three smaller books, each one written around a countdown to a specific (negative) event. I was particularly impressed with the ending of Book 2; it told a story from two different perspectives in a great way to elicit an emotional response.

I'd recommend this book for anyone who likes weird horror and crude humor. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
Not nearly as entertaining as the first one, although that seems to be quite intentional. ( )
  shum57 | Jul 22, 2019 |
I was really impressed with the quality of “Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits“. I was underwhelmed by the quality of “John Dies at the End“. This book is closer to the former. It’s a solid story all the way through. In fact, take the content of “John Dies at the End” and put it in the tempered style of “Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits” and this is the result. Of course, this doesn’t help if you haven’t read either.

I’d categorize this as a horror-comedy. If you like movies like The Evil Dead and Killer Klowns from Outer Space, this is for you. Better even, because it touches into the philosophy behind movies like that… as one would drunk with your friends at two in the morning by the fridge… but still fun. David Wong is to horror as Douglas Adams is to space opera.

In summary, it’s a zombie apocalypse novel, but that doesn’t do it justice. Nothing about it is run-of-the-mill. It’s fresh takes on everything. There’s a lot of tension, never knowing what’s going to happen next. It’s almost bizarro, except somehow the characterization keeps it grounded (i.e. everyone acts like you’d expect them to act). It even goes into the POVs of the titular John (and some others). It feels like an epic tome, like Swan Song but with more butt humor. ( )
  theWallflower | Feb 15, 2019 |
The plot in this second novel was a lot more intense in terms of action, never really letting up. I felt that this detracted from the story somewhat. I also didn't find this as humorous as the first book; although there were a few instances of laugh-out-loud sentences or scenarios, I found the first novel funnier and more engaging. Still, it was a good read and worth it. ( )
  Aula | Jun 5, 2018 |
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING ACCOUNT CONTAINS FRANK DESCRIPTIONS OF MONSTERS AND MALE NUDITY.
For Carley, who was a better person than I am even though she was a dog.
You know how sometimes when you're drifting off to sleep you feel that jolt, like you were falling and caught yourself at the last second? It's nothing to be concerned about, it's usually just the parasite adjusting its grip.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,371,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible