Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

Hoot (2002)

by Carl Hiaasen

5,202206859 (3.79)117

English (202)  Spanish (1)  All languages (203)
My 11 y.o. daughter recommended this book to me. It was a great book for her age group. Nicely paced, some irreverent humour to lighten the slightly preachy tones. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
Roy makes two oddball friends and a bad enemy ( )
  lindy_brooke | Apr 12, 2016 |
This book along with other Hiaasen's titles get checked out a lot in my 4/5 grade library. It was a quick read with quirky characters. I liked the underlying message in the story too and can see the appeal to the middle grades in reading it. This book could be used as a read aloud or novel study in middle school or for lessons focusing on voice, suspense, imagery, point of view, and other literary devices such as irony and symbolism.
  KatBarbie | Apr 9, 2016 |
I have enjoyed Carl Hiassen books before, and this one is now my favorite of his books for young people. The young people are fighting for justice and pranks are played on the "bad guys" so that they end up looking like goofballs. Of course, the kids are at first afraid to involve their parents or any adults, and act on their own. One is even living in the "wild" as a runaway. Eventually, the adults and young people come together for the cause of protecting an endangered owl species that is in the way of commercial enterprise.
  abtrav | Apr 5, 2016 |
Hoot
This chapter book is about protecting owls and their homes. The book focuses on three kids in school looking over a group of owls. These kids are very sensitive to nature and gave large hearts that lead them to try and help the owls. Other people want to build buildings where the owls live and therefore try to push them out. The kids and the business people fight over the land and in the end the community rises up to protect the owls. I liked this book for two main reasons. One reason is that it is a good unique story about the topic of animal protection. This topic should be very important to me because I love animals and I don’t want to see them get hurt like when they fought to protect the owls. Therefore I empathized with the characters wanting to protect the animals. Because of this I enjoyed the book and thought it was a good story. Another reason I liked the book was because it had a good message. That message was to fight to protect the things around you so we can live in a better world. This message is important and should be how people live their lives. That message made me feel a lot more attached to the book and made me like the book even more. IN conclusion I liked the book because it was a good story and had a good message. ( )
  arifki3 | Mar 22, 2016 |
Pat Tate (Carousel 23 (Spring 2003))
Roy Eberhardt is being bullied by Dana Matherson, mainly because he is the new boy who has just moved to the school in Florida from Montana. A refreshingly different tale because Roy resolutely refuses to give in to the bully, and as a result of this positive stand he sees something mysterious which develops into an intriguing story. There is a connection with the tantalising title and cover and the delightful humour, together with the lovably quirky characters in this special novel, is most satisfying. My heart warmed to the policeman who fell asleep in his patrol car, and woke to find someone had painted all the windows black. The book feels very American but young readers will cope with the slight cultural differences, which may well enhance their enjoyment of the tale.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel 23, Pat Tate

Nicholas Tucker (Books for Keeps No. 140, May 2003)
Hiaasen must be the most entertaining environmental author there has yet been. Now addressing a younger audience for the first time, his latest passionate but also very funny novel jogs along paths already familiar to fans of his previous adult eco-thrillers. Set in his beloved but continuously over-developed state of Florida, this story features a wild boy out to defeat a Pancake company from building on land dwelt in by rare burrowing owls. Up against him are Curly, the grumpy, bald site foreman, Officer Delinko, an unfortunate policeman, and Chuck E Muckle, company chairman and ruthless entrepreneur. All this is witnessed by Roy, a new boy in the area who is also the target of his school's chief bully. How everything finally works out is a joy to behold, with enough one-liners to keep any reader happy long after the event. Category: 10-14 Middle/Secondary. Rating: ***** (Unmissable). ...., Macmillan, 288pp, D9.99 pbk. Ages 10 to 14.
added by kthomp25 | editBooks for Keeps, Nicholas Tucker

Hoot (2006IMDb)
For Carly, Ben, Samantha, Hannah, and, of course, Ryan
Roy would not have noticed the strange boy if it weren't for Dana Matherson, because Roy ordinarily didn't look out the window of the school bus.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440419395, Paperback)

Roy Eberhardt is the new kid--again. This time around it's Trace Middle School in humid Coconut Grove, Florida. But it's still the same old routine: table by himself at lunch, no real friends, and thick-headed bullies like Dana Matherson pushing him around. But if it wasn't for Dana Matherson mashing his face against the school bus window that one day, he might never have seen the tow-headed running boy. And if he had never seen the running boy, he might never have met tall, tough, bully-beating Beatrice. And if he had never met Beatrice, he might never have discovered the burrowing owls living in the lot on the corner of East Oriole Avenue. And if he had never discovered the owls, he probably would have missed out on the adventure of a lifetime. Apparently, bullies do serve a greater purpose in the scope of the universe. Because if it wasn't for Dana Matherson...

In his first novel for a younger audience, Carl Hiaasen (Basket Case, etc.) plunges readers right into the middle of an ecological mystery, made up of endangered miniature owls, the Mother Paula's All-American Pancake House scheduled to be built over their burrows, and the owls' unlikely allies--three middle school kids determined to beat the screwed-up adult system. Hiaasen's tongue is firmly in cheek as he successfully cuts his slapstick sense of humor down to kid-size. Sure to be a hoot, er, hit with middle school mystery fans. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:02 -0400)

Roy, who is new to his small Florida community, becomes involved in another boy's attempt to save a colony of burrowing owls from a proposed construction site.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible