Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

Hoot (2002)

by Carl Hiaasen

5,036194895 (3.79)115

English (193)  Spanish (1)  All languages (194)
Summary: This book is about a boy who moves to Florida and comes across some endangered owls and does everything he can to stop the city from building on their holes.

Personal reaction: I loved this book growing up. I liked the meaning behind it. The owls became important to him so he did whatever it took to keep them safe.

Classroom extension: I would have my students talk about something they would do anything to keep safe.
  meaganamadon | Nov 18, 2015 |
Summary: In the book, Hoot, a boy Roy moves to Florida from Montana. He meets someone who is trying to save owls that are living on a job site where the city is opening a new pancake place. The other part is a Policeman that is watching the job site in order to catch someone messing around at the job site.

Personal Reflection: I thought this was a good book with an interesting story line. I may be biased because I am from Florida so anything about Florida is good with me!

Classroom Extension: We could talk about welcoming new students or do an introduction game if it is the beginning of the year. Also, it would be great to go to a wildlife reservation or have someone come in and speak about owls. ( )
  Lauryn1025 | Oct 25, 2015 |
Newbery Honor Book. RGG: Middle-school bullying, abandoned children, and ecological warfare. Fun and entertaining.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 1, 2015 |
I saw the movie of this book many years ago, but had never read the book. This is a cute story with a great message.Mother Paula's wants to build a pancake house on the site where burrowing owls live. Roy is a new boy getting bullied and ignored by the adults. The Vice-principal at the school seems to be afraid of the bully's family and Roy gets disciplined for fighting back. As the story progresses, Roy keeps observing a boy who appears to be about his age, running in the neighbourhood, but he has never seen him at school He eventually befriends the boy and finds out he is the step-brother of another student he has had a run in with. They eventually become friends and we find out that it is "Mullethands" the step-brother who is sabotaging the Mother Paula worksite to save the burrowing owls. A happy ending for everyone but Mother Paula's. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Aug 18, 2015 |
This is another book that I loves as much as an adult as the first time I read lit as a kid. I love the balance that this book strikes between being a story about friendship and being yourself with environmental messages about standing up for winged friends that can't stand up for themselves. I love that standing up for a cause that they believe in unites a group of very unlikely friends in a way that shows that anyone can be a hero. I think this book is also a great way to inform kids about legal procedures and the ways that government works on a city level. This book advocates change through legal means; being a vigilante while always being mindful of safety and laws. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Aug 15, 2015 |
Pat Tate (Carousel 23 (Spring 2003))
Roy Eberhardt is being bullied by Dana Matherson, mainly because he is the new boy who has just moved to the school in Florida from Montana. A refreshingly different tale because Roy resolutely refuses to give in to the bully, and as a result of this positive stand he sees something mysterious which develops into an intriguing story. There is a connection with the tantalising title and cover and the delightful humour, together with the lovably quirky characters in this special novel, is most satisfying. My heart warmed to the policeman who fell asleep in his patrol car, and woke to find someone had painted all the windows black. The book feels very American but young readers will cope with the slight cultural differences, which may well enhance their enjoyment of the tale.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel 23, Pat Tate
Nicholas Tucker (Books for Keeps No. 140, May 2003)
Hiaasen must be the most entertaining environmental author there has yet been. Now addressing a younger audience for the first time, his latest passionate but also very funny novel jogs along paths already familiar to fans of his previous adult eco-thrillers. Set in his beloved but continuously over-developed state of Florida, this story features a wild boy out to defeat a Pancake company from building on land dwelt in by rare burrowing owls. Up against him are Curly, the grumpy, bald site foreman, Officer Delinko, an unfortunate policeman, and Chuck E Muckle, company chairman and ruthless entrepreneur. All this is witnessed by Roy, a new boy in the area who is also the target of his school's chief bully. How everything finally works out is a joy to behold, with enough one-liners to keep any reader happy long after the event. Category: 10-14 Middle/Secondary. Rating: ***** (Unmissable). ...., Macmillan, 288pp, D9.99 pbk. Ages 10 to 14.
added by kthomp25 | editBooks for Keeps, Nicholas Tucker
Hoot (2006IMDb)
For Carly, Ben, Samantha, Hannah, and, of course, Ryan
Roy would not have noticed the strange boy if it weren't for Dana Matherson, because Roy ordinarily didn't look out the window of the school bus.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440419395, Paperback)

Roy Eberhardt is the new kid--again. This time around it's Trace Middle School in humid Coconut Grove, Florida. But it's still the same old routine: table by himself at lunch, no real friends, and thick-headed bullies like Dana Matherson pushing him around. But if it wasn't for Dana Matherson mashing his face against the school bus window that one day, he might never have seen the tow-headed running boy. And if he had never seen the running boy, he might never have met tall, tough, bully-beating Beatrice. And if he had never met Beatrice, he might never have discovered the burrowing owls living in the lot on the corner of East Oriole Avenue. And if he had never discovered the owls, he probably would have missed out on the adventure of a lifetime. Apparently, bullies do serve a greater purpose in the scope of the universe. Because if it wasn't for Dana Matherson...

In his first novel for a younger audience, Carl Hiaasen (Basket Case, etc.) plunges readers right into the middle of an ecological mystery, made up of endangered miniature owls, the Mother Paula's All-American Pancake House scheduled to be built over their burrows, and the owls' unlikely allies--three middle school kids determined to beat the screwed-up adult system. Hiaasen's tongue is firmly in cheek as he successfully cuts his slapstick sense of humor down to kid-size. Sure to be a hoot, er, hit with middle school mystery fans. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:02 -0400)

Roy, who is new to his small Florida community, becomes involved in another boy's attempt to save a colony of burrowing owls from a proposed construction site.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible