Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

Hoot (2002)

by Carl Hiaasen

English (175)  Spanish (1)  All languages (176)
This book is about Mullet Fingers who is Beatrice's stepbrother and Roy who is the curios person who wants to know who Mullet Fingers is. This book is set in present day and takes place at a construction site, near coconut cove in Florida. the story is about saving some burrowing owls from being bulldozed down on the new pancake place called Mother Paula's All American Pancake House. The kids have to try to stop a guy named Curly from killing the owls and there joined by Mother Paula. Mullet Fingers runs away from military school and teams up with his sister sister Beatrice. they don't tell any one about it because they don't want him to go back to military school. Stopping the kids from the owls is the vice President of the Pancake House company, called Chuck Muckle.
I like this book because there is a lot of enthusiasm throughout the book. The author wanted people to care about the environment and the animals in nature. The book taught me about creatures that I didn't even know about. The book had a bully who picked on kids on the school bus. I learned new words that I didn't understand until I kept reading. This book was so interesting that I want to keep reading his books. ( )
  ChloeB.G1 | Sep 13, 2014 |
I very much enjoyed reading this book. In my opinion, it is the type of book that could be enjoyed by, and relatable to, any audience because it’s just an interesting, well written story. For example, the author’s style of writing incorporates a lot of dialogue which is interesting to read, but the dialogue includes a lot of relaxed language, or colloquial speech, that makes reading more personal, more relevant, and more engaging. In the very beginning of the story, on the third page of the story, Carl Hiaasen writes, “’Whassamatter, cowgirl? Had enough?’” I also like the plot of this story because I feel that it was multidimensional. The overall idea of the plot is rather simple (experiencing the development and growth in maturity of a middle school boy), but the details of the plot are complex due to the fact that there are many round characters that grow in their own unique way. I was very drawn in while I was reading this book, and I noticed myself feeling severe frustration for Roy, the main character. The book does have some advanced themes addressed within it, for example, some of the characters, such as Lonna, Mullet Fingers’ stepmother, and corrupt adults who value business and money over preventing the extinction of an endangered species. There are so many big ideas prevalent in this story such as those revolving around growing up, family, corruption and greed, etc., but I feel that the most valuable big idea I gained from this text was the importance of developing personal integrity. Life is about balancing the mind and the heart to make decisions, and that it is important to accept the consequences of your actions. ( )
  kbrash1 | Apr 10, 2014 |
3.5 stars

Roy is in middle school and has moved to Florida from Montana recently. He often is bullied by Dana. On the bus one day, Roy noticed a boy running alongside with no shoes and wants to find out who he is and what he's all about. Meanwhile, there is some vandalism going on at a nearby construction site.

It sounds a bit disjointed, but it comes together. I enjoyed it, especially toward the end. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 2, 2014 |
A wonderful lighthearted easy read.... enjoyed turning every page ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 25, 2014 |
Kids book from Hiaasen. very good ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Pat Tate (Carousel 23 (Spring 2003))
Roy Eberhardt is being bullied by Dana Matherson, mainly because he is the new boy who has just moved to the school in Florida from Montana. A refreshingly different tale because Roy resolutely refuses to give in to the bully, and as a result of this positive stand he sees something mysterious which develops into an intriguing story. There is a connection with the tantalising title and cover and the delightful humour, together with the lovably quirky characters in this special novel, is most satisfying. My heart warmed to the policeman who fell asleep in his patrol car, and woke to find someone had painted all the windows black. The book feels very American but young readers will cope with the slight cultural differences, which may well enhance their enjoyment of the tale.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel 23, Pat Tate

Nicholas Tucker (Books for Keeps No. 140, May 2003)
Hiaasen must be the most entertaining environmental author there has yet been. Now addressing a younger audience for the first time, his latest passionate but also very funny novel jogs along paths already familiar to fans of his previous adult eco-thrillers. Set in his beloved but continuously over-developed state of Florida, this story features a wild boy out to defeat a Pancake company from building on land dwelt in by rare burrowing owls. Up against him are Curly, the grumpy, bald site foreman, Officer Delinko, an unfortunate policeman, and Chuck E Muckle, company chairman and ruthless entrepreneur. All this is witnessed by Roy, a new boy in the area who is also the target of his school's chief bully. How everything finally works out is a joy to behold, with enough one-liners to keep any reader happy long after the event. Category: 10-14 Middle/Secondary. Rating: ***** (Unmissable). ...., Macmillan, 288pp, D9.99 pbk. Ages 10 to 14.
added by kthomp25 | editBooks for Keeps, Nicholas Tucker

Hoot (2006IMDb)
For Carly, Ben, Samantha, Hannah, and, of course, Ryan
Roy would not have noticed the strange boy if it weren't for Dana Matherson, because Roy ordinarily didn't look out the window of the school bus.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440419395, Paperback)

Roy Eberhardt is the new kid--again. This time around it's Trace Middle School in humid Coconut Grove, Florida. But it's still the same old routine: table by himself at lunch, no real friends, and thick-headed bullies like Dana Matherson pushing him around. But if it wasn't for Dana Matherson mashing his face against the school bus window that one day, he might never have seen the tow-headed running boy. And if he had never seen the running boy, he might never have met tall, tough, bully-beating Beatrice. And if he had never met Beatrice, he might never have discovered the burrowing owls living in the lot on the corner of East Oriole Avenue. And if he had never discovered the owls, he probably would have missed out on the adventure of a lifetime. Apparently, bullies do serve a greater purpose in the scope of the universe. Because if it wasn't for Dana Matherson...

In his first novel for a younger audience, Carl Hiaasen (Basket Case, etc.) plunges readers right into the middle of an ecological mystery, made up of endangered miniature owls, the Mother Paula's All-American Pancake House scheduled to be built over their burrows, and the owls' unlikely allies--three middle school kids determined to beat the screwed-up adult system. Hiaasen's tongue is firmly in cheek as he successfully cuts his slapstick sense of humor down to kid-size. Sure to be a hoot, er, hit with middle school mystery fans. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:18 -0400)

Roy, who is new to his small Florida community, becomes involved in another boy's attempt to save a colony of burrowing owls from a proposed construction site.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible