Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

Hoot (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Carl Hiaasen

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Hoot
Authors:Carl Hiaasen
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2004), Edition: Second Printing, Paperback, 304 pages

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen (2002)

English (214)  Spanish (1)  All (215)
Summary:
This book is about a boy name Roy Eberhardt who moves to a town in Florida. He gets picked on when he first moves there but makes a friend with Beatrice. While on the bus he notices a boy running. He tracks him down and meets Mullet Fingers. Beatrice and Mullet Fingers are actually brother and sister and Mullet Fingers is hiding in town without their parents knowing. The siblings show Roy a place where there are endangered owls burrowing. At this place a famous Pancake place plans to build its newest restaurant. The three teenagers plot to stop this from happening but doing all types of pranks and illegal activities. They eventually find proof and stop the construction from happening.

Personal Reaction:
I love this book so much. I have read it several times and was excited to read it again. There is something so special about learning teenagers making a change. I first read it in middle school and I remember the sense of power it gave me. It made me realize that I could accomplish anything I set my mind to. Reading it again gave me this same feeling.
Classroom Extension Activities:
1. Create a mock petition to save an endangered species. Give the class reasons why we should take a stand for their animal
2. Use this to explain they are capable of a lot if they put their minds to it ( )
  ShaLee.Hale | Nov 28, 2016 |
Summary- The story starts with Roy Eberhardt moving to the small town of Coconut Cove, Florida. Roy begins a new school and rides the bus to school. This is where Dana Mathewson begins to bully him. While Dana is bullying him Roy notices a barefoot boy running. Roy tries to follow him, but Dana starts to choke him, Roy escapes by punching him in the face. Roy gets off the bus and begins to run after the barefooted boy, but Roy can't catch him because he is hit in the head by a golf ball. Roy is suspended from riding the bus for two weeks. Roy calls for a truce with Dana, but Dana refuses.

Later Roy finds out that a restaurant chain called Mother Paula's All American Pancake House decides to build a restaurant in Coconut cove. But Vandalism is delaying the work. Roy finds out that the barefoot boy is the vandal and he is known as "mullet fingers", Roy and Mullet Fingers become quick friends. Mullet fingers is vandalizing the construction work because he wants to save the burrowing owls that live on the site. These owl are endangered species. The construction foreman denies the owls' existence. Roy helps Mullet Fingers prove that the owls are there. Roy gets his class to help join them in protests. They ultimately stop the construction and the property becomes an owl sanctuary.
While they were protesting Mullet finger's mother saw him. Roy and his classmates take mullet fingers home to his mother.Two days later Mullet fingers climbs out of his home's bathroom window and the police think he's a burglar. His Mother lies and says he stole a ring, Mullet Fingers is taken to a juvenile detention center, but he winds up escaping.

Personal reaction- This is another book that I can remember reading in middle school. I really liked the book, and thought it had a really good theme to it.

extension ideas-

Writing- Have students write a letter to Coconut Cove Gazette trying to persuade the reader to join the protesting of the Mother Paula's All-American Pancake House.

Geography- Print out a blank map of the united states for each students. Have students get on computer and look up which states are likely to have burrowing owls. Have students color in these states.

Writing- Have students come up with a program that could improve wild life preservation in their community. ( )
  SamanthaPeel | Nov 28, 2016 |
It was prettty cute. I liked everything mullet fingers did to save the owls even though he could have gotten in trouble for doing what he did. I also like that Roy helped him when he was hurt. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
This book took a few chapters to get going and was not as funny as I expected after hearing Hiaasen speak in person (needless to say, he was hilarious). Perhaps that's just because I don't appreciate middle school humour. I could figure out where the story was going from the blurbs on the back, but the author still managed to keep the journey from beginning to end unexpected and moving. I'm glad I stuck with the book long enough to get involved with the characters, and there are many layers of messages and social commentary within the story so that parents and children or teachers and students can draw out lots to talk about after reading together. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Nov 20, 2016 |
Hoot is a great book to read when teaching children about the environment. The main characters in the book work together to save an owl habitiat from getting destroyed by construction workers. If I were to use this in my classroom it would be great to help show the importance of teamwork and animal protection. Majority of schools focus on helping the environment so I think this book would be great to add to the topic by having students explore other areas where they can help save the planet. I would say this book is good for readers in 4-8th grade. ( )
  kaitlyn_king | Nov 8, 2016 |
Pat Tate (Carousel 23 (Spring 2003))
Roy Eberhardt is being bullied by Dana Matherson, mainly because he is the new boy who has just moved to the school in Florida from Montana. A refreshingly different tale because Roy resolutely refuses to give in to the bully, and as a result of this positive stand he sees something mysterious which develops into an intriguing story. There is a connection with the tantalising title and cover and the delightful humour, together with the lovably quirky characters in this special novel, is most satisfying. My heart warmed to the policeman who fell asleep in his patrol car, and woke to find someone had painted all the windows black. The book feels very American but young readers will cope with the slight cultural differences, which may well enhance their enjoyment of the tale.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel 23, Pat Tate

Nicholas Tucker (Books for Keeps No. 140, May 2003)
Hiaasen must be the most entertaining environmental author there has yet been. Now addressing a younger audience for the first time, his latest passionate but also very funny novel jogs along paths already familiar to fans of his previous adult eco-thrillers. Set in his beloved but continuously over-developed state of Florida, this story features a wild boy out to defeat a Pancake company from building on land dwelt in by rare burrowing owls. Up against him are Curly, the grumpy, bald site foreman, Officer Delinko, an unfortunate policeman, and Chuck E Muckle, company chairman and ruthless entrepreneur. All this is witnessed by Roy, a new boy in the area who is also the target of his school's chief bully. How everything finally works out is a joy to behold, with enough one-liners to keep any reader happy long after the event. Category: 10-14 Middle/Secondary. Rating: ***** (Unmissable). ...., Macmillan, 288pp, D9.99 pbk. Ages 10 to 14.
added by kthomp25 | editBooks for Keeps, Nicholas Tucker

Hoot (2006IMDb)
For Carly, Ben, Samantha, Hannah, and, of course, Ryan
Roy would not have noticed the strange boy if it weren't for Dana Matherson, because Roy ordinarily didn't look out the window of the school bus.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440419395, Paperback)

Roy Eberhardt is the new kid--again. This time around it's Trace Middle School in humid Coconut Grove, Florida. But it's still the same old routine: table by himself at lunch, no real friends, and thick-headed bullies like Dana Matherson pushing him around. But if it wasn't for Dana Matherson mashing his face against the school bus window that one day, he might never have seen the tow-headed running boy. And if he had never seen the running boy, he might never have met tall, tough, bully-beating Beatrice. And if he had never met Beatrice, he might never have discovered the burrowing owls living in the lot on the corner of East Oriole Avenue. And if he had never discovered the owls, he probably would have missed out on the adventure of a lifetime. Apparently, bullies do serve a greater purpose in the scope of the universe. Because if it wasn't for Dana Matherson...

In his first novel for a younger audience, Carl Hiaasen (Basket Case, etc.) plunges readers right into the middle of an ecological mystery, made up of endangered miniature owls, the Mother Paula's All-American Pancake House scheduled to be built over their burrows, and the owls' unlikely allies--three middle school kids determined to beat the screwed-up adult system. Hiaasen's tongue is firmly in cheek as he successfully cuts his slapstick sense of humor down to kid-size. Sure to be a hoot, er, hit with middle school mystery fans. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:02 -0400)

Roy, who is new to his small Florida community, becomes involved in another boy's attempt to save a colony of burrowing owls from a proposed construction site.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,784,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible