Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

Hoot (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Carl Hiaasen

5,131197870 (3.79)117
Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Hoot
Authors:Carl Hiaasen
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2004), Edition: Second Printing, Paperback, 304 pages

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen (2002)

English (196)  Spanish (1)  All languages (197)
Newbery Honor Book. RGG: Middle-school bullying, abandoned children, and ecological warfare. Fun and entertaining.
  rgruberexcel | Feb 8, 2016 |
Audiobook narrated by Chad Lowe. Funny, realistic, like a regular kid could really get caught up in such circumstances. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I read this aloud to my kids ostensibly as part of our cities One City, One Book initiative this fall, but we finished it a full month after the closing event so I'm not sure we can really claim participation.

It was difficult for me to feel motivated to read this one. My kids got into it, but it didn't really capture my imagination. I found the idea that lots of people would pull together to save owls unlikely, and as a frequent mover and someone perpetually pining for the Wasatch Front, I think Roy gave up on his homesickness for Montana too quickly.

Since this book was written in the early aughts, I had to explain a couple of old-timey things to my kids, like what a video store was. They still don't quite get it. My six-year-old keeps asking me, "What was that place again? Block---something?" They can't figure out why, if it's like a library, you have to pay to borrow the videos. And if it's like Netflix, why did you have to go somewhere to pick up the movies?

What a strange world we all lived in fifteen years ago! ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jan 28, 2016 |
Audio book read by Chad Lowe
3.5***

Hiaasen turns his imaginative talent to writing children’s literature.

Roy Eberhardt has moved with his family from Montana to Florida. His dad’s job makes the family move frequently, so he’s used to the new-kid routine; school bullies are pretty much the same wherever you are. In fact, he owes a debt of gratitude to Dana Matherson, because if Dana hadn’t attacked Roy on the school bus, Roy never would have seen the running boy. And that’s the first interesting thing he’s seen – so far.

As usual Hiaasen peoples his novels with an array of interesting characters – eco-terrorists, sleazy corporate spokesmen, inept police, harried school teachers, wannabe starlet, and oily politicians. Those familiar with Hiaasen’s adult novels, will recognized a young Skink in Mullet Fingers. Of course, he includes a message of protecting the environment and native species, and developers are the bad guys. But he’s toned it down for the younger audience without talking down to them. I gave this to my nephew last Christmas, and he thought it was … well … a hoot.

Lowe does a great job of the audio book. I especially love his voices for the more eccentric characters.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
Summary: This book is about a boy who moves to Florida and comes across some endangered owls and does everything he can to stop the city from building on their holes.

Personal reaction: I loved this book growing up. I liked the meaning behind it. The owls became important to him so he did whatever it took to keep them safe.

Classroom extension: I would have my students talk about something they would do anything to keep safe.
  meaganamadon | Nov 18, 2015 |
Pat Tate (Carousel 23 (Spring 2003))
Roy Eberhardt is being bullied by Dana Matherson, mainly because he is the new boy who has just moved to the school in Florida from Montana. A refreshingly different tale because Roy resolutely refuses to give in to the bully, and as a result of this positive stand he sees something mysterious which develops into an intriguing story. There is a connection with the tantalising title and cover and the delightful humour, together with the lovably quirky characters in this special novel, is most satisfying. My heart warmed to the policeman who fell asleep in his patrol car, and woke to find someone had painted all the windows black. The book feels very American but young readers will cope with the slight cultural differences, which may well enhance their enjoyment of the tale.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel 23, Pat Tate

Nicholas Tucker (Books for Keeps No. 140, May 2003)
Hiaasen must be the most entertaining environmental author there has yet been. Now addressing a younger audience for the first time, his latest passionate but also very funny novel jogs along paths already familiar to fans of his previous adult eco-thrillers. Set in his beloved but continuously over-developed state of Florida, this story features a wild boy out to defeat a Pancake company from building on land dwelt in by rare burrowing owls. Up against him are Curly, the grumpy, bald site foreman, Officer Delinko, an unfortunate policeman, and Chuck E Muckle, company chairman and ruthless entrepreneur. All this is witnessed by Roy, a new boy in the area who is also the target of his school's chief bully. How everything finally works out is a joy to behold, with enough one-liners to keep any reader happy long after the event. Category: 10-14 Middle/Secondary. Rating: ***** (Unmissable). ...., Macmillan, 288pp, D9.99 pbk. Ages 10 to 14.
added by kthomp25 | editBooks for Keeps, Nicholas Tucker

Hoot (2006IMDb)
For Carly, Ben, Samantha, Hannah, and, of course, Ryan
Roy would not have noticed the strange boy if it weren't for Dana Matherson, because Roy ordinarily didn't look out the window of the school bus.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440419395, Paperback)

Roy Eberhardt is the new kid--again. This time around it's Trace Middle School in humid Coconut Grove, Florida. But it's still the same old routine: table by himself at lunch, no real friends, and thick-headed bullies like Dana Matherson pushing him around. But if it wasn't for Dana Matherson mashing his face against the school bus window that one day, he might never have seen the tow-headed running boy. And if he had never seen the running boy, he might never have met tall, tough, bully-beating Beatrice. And if he had never met Beatrice, he might never have discovered the burrowing owls living in the lot on the corner of East Oriole Avenue. And if he had never discovered the owls, he probably would have missed out on the adventure of a lifetime. Apparently, bullies do serve a greater purpose in the scope of the universe. Because if it wasn't for Dana Matherson...

In his first novel for a younger audience, Carl Hiaasen (Basket Case, etc.) plunges readers right into the middle of an ecological mystery, made up of endangered miniature owls, the Mother Paula's All-American Pancake House scheduled to be built over their burrows, and the owls' unlikely allies--three middle school kids determined to beat the screwed-up adult system. Hiaasen's tongue is firmly in cheek as he successfully cuts his slapstick sense of humor down to kid-size. Sure to be a hoot, er, hit with middle school mystery fans. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:02 -0400)

Roy, who is new to his small Florida community, becomes involved in another boy's attempt to save a colony of burrowing owls from a proposed construction site.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,177,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible