Hoot by Carl Hiaasen

Hoot (original 2002; edition 2005)

by Carl Hiaasen

5,386209810 (3.78)119
Member:mfink1
Title:Hoot
Authors:Carl Hiaasen
Info:Yearling (2005), Paperback, 292 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Novel, Animals, Award Winning, Gr.3-5, Gr.4-7

Hoot by Carl Hiaasen (2002)

English (208)  Spanish (1)  All languages (209)
Hoot is the story of a few children who are trying to stop construction to save burrowing owls.
  mackenziespiering | Sep 12, 2016 |
A hoot of a novel for younger readers. Maybe not so much for anyone older.

The story stars our main character, Roy, who meets a mysterious boy, and embarks on a quest to save some owls. The story also gives readers a point of view from a few of the adults in this world, though they are never as fully fleshed out as the younger characters (who weren't really given that much depth themselves). One of the greatest things I found to be desired was a much more developed character, at least in Roy. Unfortunately, I never got that.

For being in middle school, I found these characters to have quiet intellectual conversations, with some high level vocabulary. Perhaps for a younger reader, this would provide some good examples of how to speak to one another. I just have never heard such well spoken kids before!

I also found the plot to be a little too convenient. Adults who really don't do what they are supposed to do? Some who are even borderline abusive? Not to mention, the lack of any sort of redemption for the school bully. I also couldn't believe the message that is sent by having our character, Roy, set up the bully, Dana, to pretty much go to jail. I mean…do any of these characters learn? Is there any growth?

Perhaps I'm feeling a little let down because the story ended with very little growth amongst the characters. The adults were back to doing what they were doing, what with the past behind them. The children are still stuck with some highly questionable parents, and Mullet Fingers runs away yet again. I think the only argument I can give to get kids to read Hoot is to have a really good book discussion about some of the events that occurred. Do you agree with what happened? Should things have happened a different way? What would you have done differently? There's plenty of room for improvement, but that's to be left to the readers to decide.

A quick fun read, but I know there are plenty of better options out there. ( )
1 vote jms001 | Sep 10, 2016 |
This book is pretty realistic and complex for a children's book. The "bad guys" aren't unambiguously evil and get real opportunities for growth and evolution post-climax. The main character are also not unambiguously good (far more common in children's books). The subject matter is timely and important. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 10, 2016 |
Great read for your fourth and fifth grade students. Enjoyable story that shows young people fighting for something that they believe to be a good cause! Very interesting story line that will keep readers hooked!
  jennialdridge | Sep 8, 2016 |
Delightful, well-written, with a propulsive plot. My son appreciated the fact that Beatrice and Mullet weren't "cut-out characters," and I appreciated the fact that Hiaasen's depiction of family life was not from a June Cleaver wonderland. Some not-so-good family life was depicted here, as well as a gentle introduction to the sad fact that corporate bad behavior exists. My son devoured this, as did I. We'll be checking out Hiaasen's other YA books. ( )
  bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |
Pat Tate (Carousel 23 (Spring 2003))
Roy Eberhardt is being bullied by Dana Matherson, mainly because he is the new boy who has just moved to the school in Florida from Montana. A refreshingly different tale because Roy resolutely refuses to give in to the bully, and as a result of this positive stand he sees something mysterious which develops into an intriguing story. There is a connection with the tantalising title and cover and the delightful humour, together with the lovably quirky characters in this special novel, is most satisfying. My heart warmed to the policeman who fell asleep in his patrol car, and woke to find someone had painted all the windows black. The book feels very American but young readers will cope with the slight cultural differences, which may well enhance their enjoyment of the tale.
added by kthomp25 | editCarousel 23, Pat Tate

Nicholas Tucker (Books for Keeps No. 140, May 2003)
Hiaasen must be the most entertaining environmental author there has yet been. Now addressing a younger audience for the first time, his latest passionate but also very funny novel jogs along paths already familiar to fans of his previous adult eco-thrillers. Set in his beloved but continuously over-developed state of Florida, this story features a wild boy out to defeat a Pancake company from building on land dwelt in by rare burrowing owls. Up against him are Curly, the grumpy, bald site foreman, Officer Delinko, an unfortunate policeman, and Chuck E Muckle, company chairman and ruthless entrepreneur. All this is witnessed by Roy, a new boy in the area who is also the target of his school's chief bully. How everything finally works out is a joy to behold, with enough one-liners to keep any reader happy long after the event. Category: 10-14 Middle/Secondary. Rating: ***** (Unmissable). ...., Macmillan, 288pp, D9.99 pbk. Ages 10 to 14.
added by kthomp25 | editBooks for Keeps, Nicholas Tucker

Hoot (2006IMDb)
For Carly, Ben, Samantha, Hannah, and, of course, Ryan
Roy would not have noticed the strange boy if it weren't for Dana Matherson, because Roy ordinarily didn't look out the window of the school bus.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440419395, Paperback)

Roy Eberhardt is the new kid--again. This time around it's Trace Middle School in humid Coconut Grove, Florida. But it's still the same old routine: table by himself at lunch, no real friends, and thick-headed bullies like Dana Matherson pushing him around. But if it wasn't for Dana Matherson mashing his face against the school bus window that one day, he might never have seen the tow-headed running boy. And if he had never seen the running boy, he might never have met tall, tough, bully-beating Beatrice. And if he had never met Beatrice, he might never have discovered the burrowing owls living in the lot on the corner of East Oriole Avenue. And if he had never discovered the owls, he probably would have missed out on the adventure of a lifetime. Apparently, bullies do serve a greater purpose in the scope of the universe. Because if it wasn't for Dana Matherson...

In his first novel for a younger audience, Carl Hiaasen (Basket Case, etc.) plunges readers right into the middle of an ecological mystery, made up of endangered miniature owls, the Mother Paula's All-American Pancake House scheduled to be built over their burrows, and the owls' unlikely allies--three middle school kids determined to beat the screwed-up adult system. Hiaasen's tongue is firmly in cheek as he successfully cuts his slapstick sense of humor down to kid-size. Sure to be a hoot, er, hit with middle school mystery fans. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:02 -0400)

Roy, who is new to his small Florida community, becomes involved in another boy's attempt to save a colony of burrowing owls from a proposed construction site.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible