The Narrows by Ronald Malfi

The Narrows

by Ronald Malfi

512339,206 (4)None

"The Narrows" or "How Horror Became Scary Again" by Ronald Malfi

My first Malfi novel and it won’t be my last.

In the last few years I shied away from the horror genre. I always got the feeling of déjà vu. Malfi made me want to read Horror again.

I’ve always felt that Horror works better as a short story than in long form (novel). Of course exceptions abound, but they just confirm this rule. “The Narrows” is one of those novels (like “The Stand” by King was as well).

You can read the rest of this review on my blog. ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
From Fantastic Fiction:

The town of Stillwater has been dying - the long and painful death of a town ravaged by floods and haunted by the ghosts of all who had lived there. Yet this most recent flood has brought something with it - a creature that nests among the good folks of Stillwater...and feeds off them. The children who haven't disappeared whisper the same word - "vampire." But they're wrong. What has come to Stillwater is something much more horrific.

My Thoughts:

I have yet to read anything by this author was was less than a 4 star rating. One thing you come to expect with Ron Malfi is, well, not to be cliché: but the unexpected. Malfi has shown great skill in turning and twisting and adapting horror conventions and turning them into new, fresh stories. His characterization is excellent, and, at the bottom of it all, his stories are just as much about human nature as anything else.

The human drama does as much to create a wonderful spin on a horror classic...small country town stalked by night-dwelling predator, a parasite that feeds on our hopes and dreams and fears. I would have to say that this is definitely in my top three novels by this author. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

The town of Stillwater has been dying—the long and painful death of a town ravaged by floods and haunted by the ghosts of all who had lived there. Yet this most recent flood has brought something with it—a creature that nests among the good folks of Stillwater...and feeds off them. The children who haven't disappeared whisper the same word—“vampire.” But they’re wrong. What has come to Stillwater is something much more horrific.

The town of Stillwater has a very unwelcome resident. The town of Stillwater has been dying--the long and painful death of a town ravaged by floods and haunted by the ghosts of all who had lived there. Yet this most recent flood has brought something with it--a creature that nests among the good folks of Stillwater...and feeds off them. The children who haven't disappeared whisper the same word--"vampire." But they're wrong. What has come to Stillwater is something much more horrific.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,749,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible