The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led…

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Catherynne M. Valente, Ana Juan (Illustrator)

Member:floating_lush
Title:The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There
Authors:Catherynne M. Valente
Other authors:Ana Juan (Illustrator)
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:read 2012, children's fiction

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente (2012)

English (46)  German (1)  All languages (47)
Well I like this book..... a lot...... but I can't commit to loving it. It was quite enjoyable and weird and fun and sad and mysterious and triumphant and a billion other adjectives. Ms Valente has a wonderfully strange mind/imagination and I'm glad she has taken the time to share parts of it with us. I wonder if there will be any other adventures in Fairyland? I guess only time will tell. 3.5 Stars

http://bookjunkie57.tumblr.com/post/30386331892/read-with-me-the-gril-who-fell-b... ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Description: September has longed to return to Fairyland after her first adventure there. And when she finally does, she learns that its inhabitants have been losing their shadows—and their magic—to the world of Fairyland Below. This underworld has a new ruler: Halloween, the Hollow Queen, who is September’s shadow. And Halloween does not want to give Fairyland’s shadows back.

Fans of Valente’s bestselling, first Fairyland book will revel in the lush setting, characters, and language of September’s journey, all brought to life by fine artist Ana Juan. Readers will also welcome back good friends Ell, the Wyverary, and the boy Saturday. But in Fairyland Below, even the best of friends aren’t always what they seem....

Thoughts: I really, REALLY loved The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. In fact, it was my favorite book last year. The balance of a great adventure with wonderfully interesting characters and the old feel of a dangerous, violent fairy story was just overwhelmingly enticing.

As I said a few posts above, this story finds our heroine September a year older and quote a bit wiser after her adventures. Her longing for Fairyland and the quiet way she clutches her secret amongst all the ordinary girls who shun her at home pulled me right back into the world Valente created.

But nothing is quite the same this second time around, certainly not for September and not for the reader either. This book isn't quite as lush or compelling as the first. The friends we hope to meet again are not exactly what we expect and the world has gone topsy-turvy.

I think, when it's all said and done, that I liked the overall storyline but felt that the pacing and details were a smidge off. Not so much that I would say I didn't still love this book, because the missteps of Valente are better than the heights of many writers in this genre, but I finished this one feeling a little... rushed? a tiny bit deflated?

I will say, however, that this book has the most lovely ending passage, one that brought the BIGGEST smile to my face and leaves lots of promise that Fairyland isn't done with us.

Rating: 3.8

Liked: 3.5
Plot: 4
Characterization: 4
Writing: 4

https://www.librarything.com/topic/142777#3671805 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 15, 2015 |
Let's be honest, I probably could have given this 5 stars before even cracking the spine. I loved the first Fairyland book, it was dark and whimsical and lyrical in exactly the right proportions.

I liked this one just as much. This is the underbelly of Fairyland, it's the shadow-self of the first book literally and figuratively, but it still has everything to love about the first - the quest, the gorgeous prose, the courageous pluckiness of September and her friends.

I really loved the metaphor of September having to deal with her shadow self as the villain in this book. Having her friends as shadows, but still their own individual selves was beautiful as well. The overarching quest/underworld theme was really well done, too.

The ending was strange, but I think I liked it? It's really the only question mark I've got about the book, it warped the fantasy/reality boundary for me in ways I didn't quite follow and therefore couldn't appreciate as much as I'd like. I suspect the ending here is one of the driving forces behind the next one, though, so I'll pick that up and have a look.

Final words: I wish I had access to children old enough to read stories to, these books are made for it! ( )
1 vote heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |

heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |
Funny with lots of adventure and heart (and wisdom) in this book. A very good audiobook. Lots of descriptions and my favorite word.Brobdingnagian. ( )
  siquebella | Jul 29, 2014 |

Catherynne M. Valenteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, S. J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For everyone who has taken a chance on a girl with a funny name and her flying Library.  Let the Revel begin.
Once upon a time, a girl named September had a secret.

After returning to Fairyland, September discovers that her stolen shadow has become the Hollow Queen, the new ruler of Fairyland Below, who is stealing the magic and shadows from Fairyland folk and refusing to give them back.

68 wanted2 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,173,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible