The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led…

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Catherynne M. Valente, Ana Juan (Illustrator)

Member:floating_lush
Title:The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There
Authors:Catherynne M. Valente
Other authors:Ana Juan (Illustrator)
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:read 2012, children's fiction

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente (2012)

English (58)  German (1)  All languages (59)
As I remember, I gave the first one in the series 5 stars. Considering that, this one should get 6. This book is so much more alive than the first one, so much more breathing and wonderful. I absolutely loved it. The best books to read to your kids too, I think, especially if they are girls. A lot of symbolics too for those who are adults reading this. Valente writes some mean fantasy, one of the best authors of today, in my opinion. ( )
1 vote avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
If you like any fairy tales at all, you should read this and the first book. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
For all that the story here is wonderful and powerful and happy and sad altogether, the best part of this book was the 2 chapters at the end. You have succeeded, Ms. Valente. This is not a retread of September's first adventure in Fairyland. It is, in fact, the best kind of sequel - one that tells a story all its own, without needing what went before or what may come after. Thank you! ( )
  gmkieran | May 14, 2016 |
I loved Catherynne M. Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making and I (very much) enjoyed the sequel, The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There. Catherynne Valente paints beyond spectacular pictures with her words . . a (literally) mind-boggling gift that was so apparent in her first book.

That having been said - for me, the sequel didn't offer the same sense of delight, surprise and anticipation as the first. Character development seemed somewhat "rushed" and sparse - especially since a number of new characters were introduced. I felt that the all-important sense of "character connection" was a bit lacking.

Nevertheless, I would definitely recommend this book . . Catherynne Valente is a masterful teller of (fairy)tales .. she skillfully draws the reader in with the richness of her prose and the anticipation that an excellent adventure awaits! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Did not pass the 80-page test. Just got tired of the language and style of speaking of the characters. Too cute and oh so clever. Not my cup of tea I guess. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |

Catherynne M. Valenteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, S. J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For everyone who has taken a chance on a girl with a funny name and her flying Library.  Let the Revel begin.
Once upon a time, a girl named September had a secret.

After returning to Fairyland, September discovers that her stolen shadow has become the Hollow Queen, the new ruler of Fairyland Below, who is stealing the magic and shadows from Fairyland folk and refusing to give them back.

150 wanted3 pay9 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,104,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible