The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led…

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Catherynne M. Valente, Ana Juan (Illustrator)

Member:floating_lush
Title:The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There
Authors:Catherynne M. Valente
Other authors:Ana Juan (Illustrator)
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:read 2012, children's fiction

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente (2012)

2012 (8) 2013 (9) adventure (13) ARC (11) children (9) children's (18) children's fiction (6) children's literature (7) ebook (10) faerie (10) fairies (9) fairy tale (9) fairy tales (18) fairyland (16) fantasy (118) fiction (44) goodreads (6) illustrated (9) Kindle (7) magic (17) novel (9) quest (5) read in 2013 (7) series (13) sff (5) shadows (9) signed (7) to-read (38) YA (26) young adult (29)

English (40)  German (1)  All languages (41)
An Adventure, with a capital A! This Fairyland installment shines as much as the tale before it! The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There continues to chronicle September’s exploits in Fairyland with whimsy, flair and a healthy helping of balderdash!

If you are of a mind to pick up these books you will find a world full of wonder and nonsensical wisdom that of course makes the most perfect sense you will ever read! What makes these books so marvelous is that Valente takes the simplest thoughts, pleasures and actions you might ever have an impulse of doing – and brings them to life in such a way that is not only true – but FUN!

There’s something to be said for breaking things. They make a satisfying sound when they crunch. ~location 2884

September’s return journey into Fairyland brings her back a year older, a touch wiser and no less determined to do what needs doing. She is still without a shadow and discovers so are many of the residents of Fairyland. With the shadows gone from Fairyland-Above the magic is seeping away into Fairyland-Below. Magic is in such short supply that it needs to be rationed. September knows this must have started with her shadow and sets out to confront herself.

At each turn of the page I was delighted and amazed at how much more in love with September and this world I could become.

“A book is a door, you know. Always and forever. A book is a door into another place and another heart and another world. ~location 2027

There are no truer words that could be written and captures the exact reason why I read: To see those other worlds and know those others hearts.

Then would come a line that would make me crack an evil smile like no other, squeeze the book and let out a forceful, “YES, precisely!” These are the things I could picture myself doing…whether I was a child or the 30-something I am now. I know such lines will resonate with the child within us all.

September could just barely see the ornate handle in the dark. It made her think of the one that, when flipped, animated Frankenstein’s monster in the film her mother quite regretted taking her to. For a week afterward, September had run about the house, turning on the lights in every room and booming out what she considered a very scientific and professional cackle. ~location 717

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There would be a perfect book to read together with your child or one that a middle grade reader could devour on their own, but is most definitely a guilty pleasure that I highly recommend to every adult who has ever imagined Fairyland. ( )
  Pabkins | May 2, 2014 |
It feels like the "Wow, I want to quote this" moments are not quite as densely packed as it was in the first book. Still, it was a lovely trip to Fairyland and I can't wait for the next one. ( )
  bishopza | Feb 7, 2014 |
Not since the Harry Potter series have we seen different facets of our favourite characters through the lens of the hero. One of my favourite aspects of Harry Potter was how the characters remained true to themselves but we got to see how they changed through Harry. Professor McGonagall seemed less strict through the eyes of a grown-up.
September is growing up. [I do hope she never grows up too much.]
The charm of these books is the aspect of trying to get home the entire time from classic fantasy genres are gone. The Fairyland books have a healthy balance between wanting your own life but also the wildness of fairyland. Adventure, Quests and magical lovely friends.
The lovely Sundays reading in companiable silence sounded nice and relatable to my own life of wanting to be away from work or in my youth, school. The nice quite times get their special spot in September's life.

She returns to Fairyland a year after the events of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. This time she chases a silver figure back into fairyland. This time it's her cut-off shadow Halloween whose made things topsy turvy by stealing shadows.
Without their shadows the citizens of fairyland have lost their magic thus have to use ration cards.
The ration cards are similar to September's own life back home during the war.
Everyone's shadow selves are a darker version of who they once were. Ell and Saturday are not quite like the friends she left behind from the first book.
Now that September is growing up and is not quite so heartless she feels like must put things right since it is her shadow causing all of the trouble.

While my favourite characters from The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making aren't exactly the same they are still just as loveable. We're just viewing them from a different angle.
Abguirine, the night Dodo, is my new favourite friend she makes.

This book reminded me more of the Alice books than it's predecessor [which reminded me more of Oz & Labryinth] because of the Dodo bird, tea and chess references. ( )
  peptastic | Dec 10, 2013 |
September is growing up. [I do hope she never grows up too much.]

The ration cards are similar to September's own life back home during the war.

Abguirine, the night Dodo, is my new favourite friend she makes.

peptastic | Dec 3, 2013 |
Catherynne M. Valente’s Fairyland trilogy recalls classic tales very clearly, but, rather than coming across as redundant, Valente weaves them together into something wholly new. The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (TGWFBF for short) dives back into the vibrant world of Fairyland, adding further depth and wonder to an already glorious world.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Oct 10, 2013 |

Catherynne M. Valenteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, S. J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For everyone who has taken a chance on a girl with a funny name and her flying Library.  Let the Revel begin.
Once upon a time, a girl named September had a secret.

After returning to Fairyland, September discovers that her stolen shadow has become the Hollow Queen, the new ruler of Fairyland Below, who is stealing the magic and shadows from Fairyland folk and refusing to give them back.

68 wanted2 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible