The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led…

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Catherynne M. Valente, Ana Juan (Illustrator)

Member:MsNick
Title:The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There
Authors:Catherynne M. Valente
Other authors:Ana Juan (Illustrator)
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:**1/2

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente (2012)

English (57)  German (1)  All languages (58)
A year has passed and September has grown but now it's time for her to go back through to fairyland where she finds that actions have consequences and not everything is as she's hoped it would be.

I really enjoyed how September progressed and grew between the books - so we come back to a character who is recognisably September but just that it more grown up than she was. I like that, instead of launching into a new adventure, this book deals with the reprocussions of what September did last time she was in fairy land. There's a great sense of continuity. And the language is beautifully poetic as always. ( )
  TPauSilver | May 22, 2016 |
For all that the story here is wonderful and powerful and happy and sad altogether, the best part of this book was the 2 chapters at the end. You have succeeded, Ms. Valente. This is not a retread of September's first adventure in Fairyland. It is, in fact, the best kind of sequel - one that tells a story all its own, without needing what went before or what may come after. Thank you! ( )
  gmkieran | May 14, 2016 |
I loved Catherynne M. Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making and I (very much) enjoyed the sequel, The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There. Catherynne Valente paints beyond spectacular pictures with her words . . a (literally) mind-boggling gift that was so apparent in her first book.

That having been said - for me, the sequel didn't offer the same sense of delight, surprise and anticipation as the first. Character development seemed somewhat "rushed" and sparse - especially since a number of new characters were introduced. I felt that the all-important sense of "character connection" was a bit lacking.

Nevertheless, I would definitely recommend this book . . Catherynne Valente is a masterful teller of (fairy)tales .. she skillfully draws the reader in with the richness of her prose and the anticipation that an excellent adventure awaits! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Did not pass the 80-page test. Just got tired of the language and style of speaking of the characters. Too cute and oh so clever. Not my cup of tea I guess. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
September has spent the year since she returned from Fairyland in a fog of desire to return. She misses the friends she made there and if she was different from the kids at school before, it's that much more obvious now. In addition her father still hasn't returned from the war, she feels his absence even more keenly. So when she is reading in the fields near her home and a boat comes sailing through the air, bearing two people who could only be from Fairyland, she immediately sets chase. When she trips across the border between the two, she quickly discovers, that she made a horrible mistake when last she visited and if she doesn't fix it, all of Fairyland may cease to exist.

I know these books are written for children, but I can't help but love them. The story is so creative, the characters so likable and well written, the setting both unique and familiar at the same time. And the fact that I wish I was September and could visit Fairyland and have the adventures she is having, well that is just the icing on the cake. There is so much to like about this series of books and this author. Maybe now is a good time to start reading some of her fare that is actually written for an adult. She's a very talented author and I'm so thankful to whomever it was that first brought her to my attention (Cora, I think that was you). ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |

Catherynne M. Valenteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, S. J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For everyone who has taken a chance on a girl with a funny name and her flying Library.  Let the Revel begin.
Once upon a time, a girl named September had a secret.

After returning to Fairyland, September discovers that her stolen shadow has become the Hollow Queen, the new ruler of Fairyland Below, who is stealing the magic and shadows from Fairyland folk and refusing to give them back.

154 wanted3 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,890,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible