Yer 'arbourCrewsChinwaggin'Crow's nest

Click on yer miniature to sail to Google Books.

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led…
Hauling away...

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (original 2012; edition 2012)

by the dread pirate Catherynne M. Valente, Ana Juan (Drew th' pictyoors)

More o't' same stuff: The Girl Who (2)

CrewmatesArr! ReviewsPopulARRrityCrew sysMentions
Matey:thefirstalicat
Tome:The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There
Them scribblers:Catherynne M. Valente
Other scoundrels:Ana Juan (Drew th' pictyoors)
Pearls o' Wisdom:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 272 pages
Piles o' Booty:Yer cargo
How ye liked it:****
Pennons:children's, fantasy

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by the scurvy dog Catherynne M. Valente (2012)

Nought
Hauling away...

Funny with lots of adventure and heart (and wisdom) in this book. A very good audiobook. Lots of descriptions and my favorite word.Brobdingnagian. ( )
  siquebella | Jul 29, 2014 |
The sequel to The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making is every bit as fantastic as the original - different and unique, a slantwise, backwards, underground, unexpected spin on Fairyland. September returns to find that Fairyland is losing its shadows, and her own shadow (severed from her in the first book) is to blame. So she must make a chthonic journey to the underworld, where the shadows are wild and strange revellers, where coffee and tea are royalty and even the flowers are duchesses. This time, September must journey deeper and deeper down, to the bottom of the bottom of the world.

I LOVED it so very much. It is in the vein of Frank Baum and Lewis Carroll, and fans of those will be delighted in this, as well. But it is also its own book, fresh and new and unique. It is filled with lush, beautifully sparkling amazing descriptions and inventive, unique characters. Mythology is at hand here, twisted deep inside the story though not always how you expect - always surprising and fresh and delightful when Valente writes it. I can not express enough how much I adore this book and its predecessor. Valente is one of my new favourite authors. ( )
  catfantastic | Jul 28, 2014 |
Septembers zweiter Ausflug ins Feenreich - aber diesmal nach ganz unten, ins Reich der Schatten. Sie selbst verschenkte ja ihren Schatten im ersten Band - und der hat sich selbsständig gemacht. Nun bleibt es Septembers Aufgabe, Schatten und Feenreichbewohner wieder miteinander zu vereinen.
Der Schreibstil bleibt sperrig, die Geschichte wartet aber mit immer neuen Überraschungen und bislang ungelesenen Einfällen auf. ( )
  ahzim | Jul 17, 2014 |
An Adventure, with a capital A! This Fairyland installment shines as much as the tale before it! The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There continues to chronicle September’s exploits in Fairyland with whimsy, flair and a healthy helping of balderdash!

If you are of a mind to pick up these books you will find a world full of wonder and nonsensical wisdom that of course makes the most perfect sense you will ever read! What makes these books so marvelous is that Valente takes the simplest thoughts, pleasures and actions you might ever have an impulse of doing – and brings them to life in such a way that is not only true – but FUN!

There’s something to be said for breaking things. They make a satisfying sound when they crunch. ~location 2884

September’s return journey into Fairyland brings her back a year older, a touch wiser and no less determined to do what needs doing. She is still without a shadow and discovers so are many of the residents of Fairyland. With the shadows gone from Fairyland-Above the magic is seeping away into Fairyland-Below. Magic is in such short supply that it needs to be rationed. September knows this must have started with her shadow and sets out to confront herself.

At each turn of the page I was delighted and amazed at how much more in love with September and this world I could become.

“A book is a door, you know. Always and forever. A book is a door into another place and another heart and another world. ~location 2027

There are no truer words that could be written and captures the exact reason why I read: To see those other worlds and know those others hearts.

Then would come a line that would make me crack an evil smile like no other, squeeze the book and let out a forceful, “YES, precisely!” These are the things I could picture myself doing…whether I was a child or the 30-something I am now. I know such lines will resonate with the child within us all.

September could just barely see the ornate handle in the dark. It made her think of the one that, when flipped, animated Frankenstein’s monster in the film her mother quite regretted taking her to. For a week afterward, September had run about the house, turning on the lights in every room and booming out what she considered a very scientific and professional cackle. ~location 717

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There would be a perfect book to read together with your child or one that a middle grade reader could devour on their own, but is most definitely a guilty pleasure that I highly recommend to every adult who has ever imagined Fairyland. ( )
  Pabkins | May 2, 2014 |
It feels like the "Wow, I want to quote this" moments are not quite as densely packed as it was in the first book. Still, it was a lovely trip to Fairyland and I can't wait for the next one. ( )
  bishopza | Feb 7, 2014 |
no reviews | add yer opinyon

Scribbler's nameRoleType 'o authorWork?How farrr the crew's sailed
Catherynne M. Valenteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaDrew th' pictyoorssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, S. J.teller o tha talesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to change the stuff we be knowin'.
For more help see the stuff we be knowin' help page.
Series (with ordARR)
Information from th' English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
Wha most mateys call it
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
F'rst scribbled
Scallywags
Important ports
What's hap'n'in'
There be prizes!
For everyone who has taken a chance on a girl with a funny name and her flying Library.  Let the Revel begin.
Startin' out
Once upon a time, a girl named September had a secret.
What the sprogs be sayin'
Final flappin'
(Click if'n ya wish to see. Warning: May let the cat out o' the bag.)
How these be diff'rent
Land lubbers
Original lingo

Nought

Tome description

No notes found; 'tis a mystery of the deep..

After returning to Fairyland, September discovers that her stolen shadow has become the Hollow Queen, the new ruler of Fairyland Below, who is stealing the magic and shadows from Fairyland folk and refusing to give them back.

Pillage Etomes Audio
68 wanted2 pay8 pay

PopulARR covers

How ye liked it

AvARRage: (4.13)

Yarr, is this ye?

Advice from old salts | The lowdown | Secluded cove / Rules o' engagement | Ship's log | Hoist us a signal | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Aye, 'tis the stuff we be knowin'! | Dead Men's Chests (Dead Wenches too) | Night watch | 92,794,250 tomes! | Top barrrrr: Always visible