The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led…

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Catherynne M. Valente, Ana Juan (Illustrator)

Member:thefirstalicat
Title:The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There
Authors:Catherynne M. Valente
Other authors:Ana Juan (Illustrator)
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2012), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:children's, fantasy

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente (2012)

English (54)  German (1)  All languages (55)
September has spent the year since she returned from Fairyland in a fog of desire to return. She misses the friends she made there and if she was different from the kids at school before, it's that much more obvious now. In addition her father still hasn't returned from the war, she feels his absence even more keenly. So when she is reading in the fields near her home and a boat comes sailing through the air, bearing two people who could only be from Fairyland, she immediately sets chase. When she trips across the border between the two, she quickly discovers, that she made a horrible mistake when last she visited and if she doesn't fix it, all of Fairyland may cease to exist.

I know these books are written for children, but I can't help but love them. The story is so creative, the characters so likable and well written, the setting both unique and familiar at the same time. And the fact that I wish I was September and could visit Fairyland and have the adventures she is having, well that is just the icing on the cake. There is so much to like about this series of books and this author. Maybe now is a good time to start reading some of her fare that is actually written for an adult. She's a very talented author and I'm so thankful to whomever it was that first brought her to my attention (Cora, I think that was you). ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
September must go down to fairyland below and set things right as her shadow Halloween the Hollow Queen is bringing all the shadows down to fairyland below and slowly turning fairyland above into the the real world. As usual September meets many unusual characters along the way including some unexpected characters from the previous book.

I was really excited about this book but it was not narrated by the author as the previous one was. I needed the original authors snappy way of speaking to keep me involved. This new narrator had a very fairy tale bed time quality to her voice and I would end up just drifting off and suddenly start paying attention again wondering how we had moved on to where we were.

I loved the books characters, settings and twists and turns when I could keep myself focused but really missed that snappy narration. I'm still going back and forth regarding how to rate it. ( )

Catherynne M. Valenteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, S. J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For everyone who has taken a chance on a girl with a funny name and her flying Library.  Let the Revel begin.
Once upon a time, a girl named September had a secret.

After returning to Fairyland, September discovers that her stolen shadow has become the Hollow Queen, the new ruler of Fairyland Below, who is stealing the magic and shadows from Fairyland folk and refusing to give them back.

154 wanted2 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,015,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible