Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Falling Kingdoms (edition 2012)

by Morgan Rhodes

Tags:to-read, 2012-release, series

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Did not enjoy this.
  mkbird | Apr 24, 2015 |
This book is about four sons and daughters of 3 different kingdoms. There is Cleo, Jonas, Lucia and Magnus. Each kingdom has it own kings: the Auranos, Limeros and Paelsia. Jonas' older brother Tomas was killed and he wanted revenge. Jonas is a rebel and he doesn't like the Auranos kingdom or Cleo. He wanted Cleo to die because he said that she killed his brother. Cleo is the youngest daughter of the Auranian king. She is beautiful, spoil and rich. She witness the murder of Jonas' brother. Magnus and Lucia are brother and sister of the Limeros kingdom. But Lucia found out that she was adopted at birth. Then the rebels started a war with Cleo's kingdom. What I like about this book is the setting and how everyone came from a different background. It was fun, full of suspense, and at times emotional. I like how everyone was fighting for power, people were dying; witches were put to death; it contained magic and It showed the good and evil of people. ( )
  shakirh.b3 | Mar 24, 2015 |
Falling Kingdoms is about 3 kingdoms. The kingdoms are Auranos, Limeros, and Paelsia. The 4 main characters are Princess Cleo, Prince Magnus, Princess Lucia, and Jonas Agallon. All 4 are trying to find and possess the magical crystals called the Kindred. The Kindred are 4 crystals that possess the power of the elements. Princess Cleo is the Princess of Aurnos. Princess Lucia is the Princess of Limeros, and Prince Magnus is the Prince of Limeros. Jonas is a rebel that got his brother killed by a lord from Auranos.

I really liked this book, because it is exciting on every page. I don't think this is a children's book though by the content. I can't wait to read the second book in the series. The ending was exciting, and from the ending I knew that there would be a second book, because of the ending. I think that Jonas's obsession to kill Princess Cleo though is to extreme. I mean she didn't even do anything, Lord Aron did everything. The thing I love most is that there is magic in the book. ( )
  RyanT.B3 | Mar 15, 2015 |
My, oh my, this was absolutely fantastic! Without any doubt or hesitation I’m giving this one 5 full stars, even a month after I have finished it. I loved this book! It kept me reading late into the night, homework was disregarded, my social life (ha!) fell to the wayside as I locked myself in my room to JUST. KEEP. READING. It may have been because I haven’t read anything new or particularly good recently, but this book was definitely a winner.

Falling Kingdoms follows the lives of people from the three countries of Auranos, Palesia, and Limeros in the land of Mytica. This land is fraught with tension after the murder of a wine seller’s son and it seems that a war is on the rise. In this book we get to see through the eyes of many different characters from all the countries, and this perspective change is done so efficiently that we are able to empathize with all the characters. Because of this connection you feel with everyone, you can’t really pinpoint a villain right away, however it becomes clear near the end and definitely in the sequel, Rebel Spring who is evil and who is not.

This fabulous fantasy just blew me away. I feel like I love this book way more than most people, but this story just grabbed my attention from the very beginning and didn’t let me go. I literally stayed up all night to read the majority of the book. Some characters in the book include Princess Cleo, Jonas Agallon, Prince Magnus and Princess Lucia. It was so nice to watch as each character was developed, how their stories intertwined together and how feelings or connections changed between them all.

This was a story that kept me on edge. There were so many characters and events and it was just such a smooth and enjoyable read. There was no lull at all in the narrative for me and the plot is also full of sudden and shocking moments. I literally gasped, laughed, cried and shouted at the book all while reading. Luckily I read this when there were no other people around… for the most part…

Aaahh… anyway… I can’t say enough about how wonderful I thought this book was, so to save you from pages and pages of what would be a big ol’ gush fest, I guess I’ll wrap it up. I actually went to Chapters before I was done Falling Kingdoms to buy the sequel, Rebel Spring, which I read immediately after I was done. I’m happy to say I LOVED that book as well and hope to review it soon.

I guess it’s obvious, but I absolutely recommend this book to anyone and everyone looking to be completely thrilled and enthralled by a book. This book sucks you in and really doesn’t let you go. Honestly I was absorbed and lost in the world this book weaved and I loved every minute of it! Go and grab your copy and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! ( )
  ceecee83 | Feb 28, 2015 |
Uhg... Basically this was dumbed down high fantasy with boring characters (who are incredibly stupid) and gaping plot holes. Plus it's super predictable and most events are pushed forward by illogical plot devices.

If you can't tell, I didn't like it. I went into it thinking I'd be getting another great YA fantasy novel along the lines of [b:Graceling|3236307|Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)|Kristin Cashore|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1331548394s/3236307.jpg|3270810], [b:Grave Mercy|9565548|Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)|Robin LaFevers|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320269319s/9565548.jpg|14452295], [b:The Thief|448873|The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)|Megan Whalen Turner|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1388265525s/448873.jpg|1069505] or Tamora Pierce classics. But, no, not at all.

I ranted so hard to my husband about inconsistencies Like hey, even though Jonas was basically a random peasant and occasional small game hunter, once he's in the big final battle suddenly he knows how to use any weapon he comes across and easily murders trained soldiers, because that makes sense

Even the heads of all the kingdoms are so obtuse it's not even funny. The King of Aurenos literally lets invading armies stroll right into his country to his front gates. Instead of, I dunno, stopping them at the border where there is (according the beginning of the book) a super dense forest filled with awesome camouflaged guards and then the invading army would be stuck on the other side in the very inhospitable land of Paelsia with no crops or game. The invading army would then be forced to go around by sea, which of course would takes months to build enough ships to move an army.... but no this is all conveniently not mentioned. Armies magically appear because it's for the PLOT. /END RANT There are no complicated politics and intrigue. The author tries to be edgy and daring The almost incest with Magnus and killing off Theon after insta-love confessions but fails because I don't care about any of the characters.

Seriously, if your a fan of high fantasy, then just skip this. Save yourself the inevitable rants. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |

In a land where magic has been forgotten but peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest is simmering. Three kingdoms grapple for power—brutally transforming their subjects’ lives in the process. Amidst betrayals, bargains, and battles, four young people find their fates forever intertwined:

Cleo: A princess raised in luxury must embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of a magic long thought extinct.

Jonas: Enraged at injustice, a rebel lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country impoverished—and finds himself the leader of a people’s revolution centuries in the making.

Lucia: A girl adopted at birth into a royal family discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Magnus: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, a firstborn son begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword...

The only outcome that’s certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

"A fantasy about three kingdoms on the brink of war and the destiny of one princess"--Provided by publisher.

Michelle Rowan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,181,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible