Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Falling Kingdoms (edition 2012)

by Morgan Rhodes

Title:Falling Kingdoms
Authors:Morgan Rhodes
Info:Razorbill (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:to-read, 2012-release, series

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

This book is about three kingdoms that are on the verge of war due to an accident in Palesia (one of the kingdoms). A guard is assigned to watch the Princess that was in Palesia during the accident and Aron (the boy who caused this accident) is getting engaged to The princess. Two witches steal a child from palesia who is a Sorceress. One of the sisters betrays the other and takes the child to Limeros. In Limeros a Prince is training to be like his father "The Blood King". Magnus the Prince, has a "sister" that has magical powers. The Princess of Limeros is the Child from Palesia stolen by the sisters. A month later a war starts in Auranos and Auranos is conquered by Palesia and Limeros. ( the two kingdoms unite to destroy Auranos and take its resources.)

I loved this book so much because it hooked me from the start and I love Fantasy stories based in the "Dark Ages" . I gave it this rating because there were so many details that I left some out for the sake of time, and I want to read the rest of the series. ( )
  JoseR.B1 | Oct 30, 2015 |
Game of Thrones for teens (because teens don't read Game of Thrones!! I'm being facetious, forgive me). Well, when I started this I was excited because YA High Fantasy is always my thing, and you in the beginning I was digging it. The prologue is great.
... and, you know, that was about all I thought was great. It's frustrating when you read a book that is one step away from being good but it's just not. And I always feel so sad when the High Fantasy books are the ones that aren't good.
The issue with this was that everyone was a stereotype of some overused fantasy trope. Cleo is a spoiled princess, Lucia is the one with the ~magic~, Magnus is the dark amoral one (yes, he was the only one I liked), and Jonas was the "barbarian" rebel. They never became more than their stereotypes. They were never anything more than their first impressions as characters. There was really no growth. They were beaten around by the plot (especially Cleo, good grief nearly every death happened to someone around her), but they never grew from it.
The political schema was a mess. The idea was there but the execution was not. I'm expected to believe an entire kingdom was totally cool with the idea of growing nothing but grapes? Like, no one in the whole kingdom thought that was a shady idea? They were all good with it? Like, the steps were all there to make it reasonable as to how that kingdom became impoverished and desperate, but the steps were also wildly implausible.
I thought it was odd that every single one of the adults is shown in a terrible light. Even Cleo's father who—I think—you're supposed to like is shown as being pretty harsh and callous. Like, if you're expecting me to only root for the teenagers maybe they should be a tad less annoying. I liked Magnus, the attempt at the amoral character was a good one. The whole plot with him being in love with his sister was all very Game of Thrones, but that was all he was? He was just that dude in love with his sister. There was nothing more to him than that. Jonas and Cleo drove me crazy. All Jonas was was his need for vengeance to a point where I just kept saying 'Ok, calm down, dude, people think about other things sometimes...' I'm not sure what my issue with Cleo was, I just didn't mesh with her well (which happens).
The magic was all... just I'd seen it all before and I wasn't interested in any of it. I'm trying to not complain about elemental magic system bases when I see them, but good grief people can't we do something else? I wouldn't even mind a return to the Tamora Pierce barely explained magic system because it gives a better range of magic. Elemental magic just sets you up to be compared to Avatar: The Last Airbender and, let's be real here, no one is going to beat Avatar.
I'm trying to look at this book from the point of view of someone who doesn't read a lot of high fantasy and I can see where it would be interesting with the multiple characters. Rhodes likes to use blood super gratuitously (like... in places it doesn't even make sense) and you know I kind of liked that.
However, the characters are flat, the dialogue is stilted (it was so uncomfortable, I was rewriting it in my head as I was reading and that's always a bad sign), and it's all relatively generic. It's all a lot of things I've seen done better than this.
I probably won't pick up the next book in the series because it just wasn't bad enough to warrant it. I was just bored. An unfortunate thing, alas.
Ultimately, there are better YA High Fantasy novels out there. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
.zZ So this book came up in a "Books like Red Queen" shelf. So I decided to see if any were as bad or better than Red Queen.
Compared to Red Queen this book is WAY BETTER. Doesn't have the misogyny of Red Queen and certainly the world characters are better written.
Now about the book itself. Considering everything is LimerOS, AuranOS, WesterO-- wait that last one isn't in this book. Yeah, basically this is trying to be Game of Thrones Lite or something. Without all the rape rape rape. I'm not certain if it does or not because Game of Thrones should disappear forever so I'll never read it.
Lest to say the map is dull, 3 kingdoms stacked on top of each other. One king is EVIL, one is... a drunkard? We Really don't get to learn too much about him other than his daughter is an exotic snake dancer because EXOTIC. Only what she's doing isn't so exotic. And she (I think) is dark skinned, but so is Jonas and probably most of the other Paelsians. aaand TRAGIC GOOD? KING.
Really this book tries to set itself up for greatness only it feels like the entire book is buildup with no real resolution.
The female characters are kinda flat and weak of course. The men are.. evil. The other characters are too enigmatic to really care about so you forget they exist until they have their one page exposition.
Overall this is not a book I like. I don't like all the killing and the death... there's a lot of dying in here for named characters. I wanted to get into the fantasy magical side of the book, but this is more about how the kings are going to kill each other off. It was just boring and didn't seem to spend enough time on the character that matter than the characters that were just an engine to move the characters we really wanted to care about. ( )
  Maverynthia | Sep 4, 2015 |
Despite what you'd think from the cover, there is very little wearing of white cloaks and swooshing of magic blades and things. There is a lot of whining by spoiled royal children though. The narration of the audiobook was fine though he gave everyone accents but then narrated without an accent which seemed odd. What little of the magic we see is your typical elemental stuff so I was bored there. There are a lot of characters and switching views, which isn't easy to follow on audio so I recommend against listening if you are debating on it. Over all just a bit disappointed. ( )
1 vote anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
Richly imaginative and totally epic, Falling Kingdoms has earned itself a coveted place on my favorites shelf. I cannot recommend this book enough!! ( )
  dkgarner95 | Jul 29, 2015 |

In a land where magic has been forgotten but peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest is simmering. Three kingdoms grapple for power—brutally transforming their subjects’ lives in the process. Amidst betrayals, bargains, and battles, four young people find their fates forever intertwined:

Cleo: A princess raised in luxury must embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of a magic long thought extinct.

Jonas: Enraged at injustice, a rebel lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country impoverished—and finds himself the leader of a people’s revolution centuries in the making.

Lucia: A girl adopted at birth into a royal family discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Magnus: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, a firstborn son begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword...

The only outcome that’s certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

"A fantasy about three kingdoms on the brink of war and the destiny of one princess"--Provided by publisher.

Michelle Rowan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

28 wanted5 pay1 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,915,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible