Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Falling Kingdoms (edition 2012)

by Morgan Rhodes

Member:GLMW
Title:Falling Kingdoms
Authors:Morgan Rhodes
Info:Razorbill (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:YA, High Fantansy

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

It's not often I give up on a book. But with so many other things to read, I couldn't see the point in investing the time to finish this one. At nearly half way through, I didn't care about any of the characters and found the plot confused and uninteresting. The constantly shifting point of view felt choppy and kept me from being drawn into the story. ( )
  AngelaCinVA | Dec 6, 2014 |
"In a land where magic has been forgotten but peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest is simmering. Three kingdoms grapple for power—brutally transforming their subjects' lives in the process. Amidst betrayals, bargains, and battles, four young people find their fates forever intertwined:
Cleo: A princess raised in luxury must embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of a magic long thought extinct.
Jonas: Enraged at injustice, a rebel lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country impoverished—and finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making.
Lucia: A girl adopted at birth into a royal family discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.
Magnus: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, a firstborn son begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword. . . .
The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?"
I decided to read this book for a read-along that is occurring now until December 5th and must say, I do not regret this decision one bit. I must have been living under a rock to not have heard about this series before now, especially when it is so similar to one of my favorite series, A Song of Ice and Fire.
The first book in the series, Falling Kingdoms, follows three kingdoms on the brink of war and, as shown in the blurb above, four different characters, which did make this read somewhat difficult! I found myself able to empathize easily with any of the four, but the character that stood out the most had to be Prince Magnus, the Limerian prince who struggled between who he is and who his father wants him to be. Having all the characters so easy to relate to made this book seem to fly by with no dull moments and it honestly pained me to have to put the book down to do mundane activities like work, or laundry, or anything that did not involve reading this book!
In terms of world building, I did not find this one particularly unique because it did remind me of George R. R. Martin's enchanted land of Westeros, as stated above, but the element of magic, combined with well developed characters and a fast-moving plot left me salivating for the second book as soon as it ended!
Genre: YA Fantasy
Positives: I was immediately drawn into this spectacular fantasy world and found no slow spots. I was always turning the page, looking for more!
Negatives: The world in the book was not 100% unique in my opinion, but that is something I am more than willing to overlook!
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
  angierose | Nov 25, 2014 |
Honestly, I couldn't decide whether to give this book three or four stars. I loved the setting, the mythology, the ideas behind the plot & characters, but... Falling Kingdoms does lack something, either character development or depth of description or something. It certainly didn't engross me like Cinda William Chima's Seven Realms series did a few months ago. I'll likely read the sequel (I'm interested enough for that), but I'm not eager to delve right in like I typically am. ( )
1 vote wagner.sarah35 | Sep 8, 2014 |
2.5 stars. It was readable, but I didn't really enjoy it. There was a lot going on, but I didn't connect with any of the characters. It's hard to like a book if you don't like any of the people. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This book was relatively compelling, although it suffered from quick connections with seemingly little motivation behind it. (I'm looking at you two, Cleo and Theon). It also gave me the feeling of Game of Thrones with an easier to swallow page length and swifter to read. That being said, the second book sounds like it'll be better. Let's hope. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |

In a land where magic has been forgotten but peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest is simmering. Three kingdoms grapple for power—brutally transforming their subjects’ lives in the process. Amidst betrayals, bargains, and battles, four young people find their fates forever intertwined:

Jonas: Enraged at injustice, a rebel lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country impoverished—and finds himself the leader of a people’s revolution centuries in the making.

The only outcome that’s certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

"A fantasy about three kingdoms on the brink of war and the destiny of one princess"--Provided by publisher.

Michelle Rowan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,461,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible