Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Falling Kingdoms (edition 2012)

by Morgan Rhodes

239None47,977 (3.62)7
Member:GLMW
Title:Falling Kingdoms
Authors:Morgan Rhodes
Info:Razorbill (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:YA, High Fantansy

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

2012-release (2) adventure (3) ARC (6) ebook (2) falling kingdoms (3) fantasy (45) fiction (8) first in series (2) high fantasy (7) Kindle (2) kingdoms (3) magic (10) murder (3) netgalley (3) novel (2) own (3) paranormal (2) princess (3) read (2) read in 2013 (2) romance (5) series (2) teen (6) to-read (43) unread (2) war (2) wishlist (4) witches (2) YA (21) young adult (17)

Too many characters.
Many people will enjoy this book but I need to like a character to enjoy their journey.
This is book one of a series and I understand the need to build the world and introduce the characters but i will not finish the series because i don't care what happens. ( )
  TeamDewey | Apr 9, 2014 |
I'll admit, I had some serious doubts when I first heard about this young adult novel styled as an epic fantasy. I'm more of an adult fiction reader, so when I think about epic fantasy I can't help but picture vast sweeping sagas in big fat tomes, and I have no doubt it was this bias making me skeptical as I eyed this relatively thin volume.

So you can imagine my surprise when it turned out I quite enjoyed this book. Still, I did don my YA hat as I was thinking about how to rate and review it. And furthermore, you should know that any time anyone anywhere compares anything to George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, I take it with a grain of salt. On several levels, I suppose I can understand the reasons for some of the comparisons, or why a story like this would appeal to fans of Game of Thrones. And yet, to date I've never actually encountered anything else quite like Martin's epic series and I didn't anticipate it would happen now.

As such, you could say I went into Falling Kingdoms with a realistic outlook, along with an expectation for some of the usual YA trappings and perhaps a more delicate, dialed-down version of my beloved epic fantasy tropes. But putting it like that would also be doing this book a great injustice, because it also turned out to be a deeper and more intricate reading experience than thought. Despite having a central cast of mostly teenagers, some of the more mature and darker themes also took me by surprise.

The scope of the story was certainly extensive and far-reaching enough for my tastes; here we have a land where the rulers of three separate kingdoms are locked in a bitter struggle for power, thus creating a hotbed for intrigue, conspiracy, scandal and all that good stuff. I wasn't expecting to see too much complexity, and indeed, the plot felt strained in certain places, I found myself questioning character motivations a lot, and some of the world building and story elements were lighter than what I'm accustomed to. And yet, when I look at the overall big picture, I was quite impressed with what I saw. It's a lot more than I'd hoped to find in a YA novel, that's for sure.

In a sense, this book reads exactly as it is described: an epic fantasy for teens. Since that was how I approached it, I thought it delivered everything that was promised and much more besides. If anything, the plot's overall simplicity and straightforward nature of the narrative actually work in the novel's favor. It's very accessible, easy to get into even if you aren't an epic fantasy reader, and the story is just layered enough to be interesting but not confusing or overwhelming.

Falling Kingdoms proved to be a highly enjoyable read for me. Keeping in mind it is a YA novel, it's probably not ideal if you're looking for a more powerful, substantial epic fantasy, but I had a lot of fun nonetheless. I'm actually really looking forward to starting the new book soon. ( )
  stefferoo | Feb 17, 2014 |
Lots going on here, maybe more adult than a 13 yar old might like but definitely would recommend to older teens. I am looking forward to reading the next book anxious to see how the charachters develope and where they wind up. ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Feb 8, 2014 |
I had read the synopsis of this and it said "Game of Thrones for teenagers." I was skeptical at first, knowing how much everyone loves GOT, but then I read this book and was really impressed. Falling Kingdoms has alternating chapters describing what's happening in each kingdom. There's Auranos, Limeros and Paelsia. Cleo lives in Auranos, and she is forced to go to Paelsia into enemy territory to search for "magic seeds" in order to cure her sister, who is gravely ill. She also is fighting feelings for her guard, Theos, whom she knows is not royalty. Jonas is enraged and wants revenge against Cleo and Aron for killing his brother. However, this turn of events starts a revolution he never thought possible. Lucia is a sorceress and she was stolen at birth to help King Gauis later with his plans. She possesses the magic of "Elementia". Magnus is her brother, though obviously not by blood. He has strong feelings for Lucia, those that aren't of brotherly "love." Each kingdom, and character soon comes full circle, however, because Limeros and Paelsia decide to team up against Auranos. Thus, war begins.

This book was amazing. I could not put it down. My favorite chapters were those that contained Magnus and Lucia. He was such an interesting character and I enjoyed seeing him progress throughout the book. I also was interested in Cleo's journey and all the hardships she faced and how much she changed. The whole story was original and kept me hooked. Definitely a lot of surprises, heartache, and death. So don't get too attached to someone, is all I can say. This book is a favorite of mine and I was so fascinated by this world of politics, romance and magic. Can I please have the sequel now? ( )
  alexis909 | Jan 8, 2014 |
Not going to read this one because it utilises one of the only plot points that I can't tolerate: pseudo-incest, as in Luke having the hots and kissing Leia before finding out, "Hey, we're twins separated at birth. And we made out. Sick!" Or like with the Mortal Instruments series, which I refuse to read on the grounds that there's a are we siblings? No. Wait, yes we are. But no, really we're not, so it's totally okay to get our freak on now. It's a personal decision, but I'm glad I read a review that pointed it out because I would have been so freaking mad if I found it while reading.
1 vote shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |

In a land where magic has been forgotten but peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest is simmering. Three kingdoms grapple for power—brutally transforming their subjects’ lives in the process. Amidst betrayals, bargains, and battles, four young people find their fates forever intertwined:

Cleo: A princess raised in luxury must embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of a magic long thought extinct.

Jonas: Enraged at injustice, a rebel lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country impoverished—and finds himself the leader of a people’s revolution centuries in the making.

Lucia: A girl adopted at birth into a royal family discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Magnus: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, a firstborn son begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword...

The only outcome that’s certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

"A fantasy about three kingdoms on the brink of war and the destiny of one princess"--Provided by publisher.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible