Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Falling Kingdoms (edition 2012)

by Morgan Rhodes

Title:Falling Kingdoms
Authors:Morgan Rhodes
Info:Razorbill (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:YA, High Fantansy

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

.zZ So this book came up in a "Books like Red Queen" shelf. So I decided to see if any were as bad or better than Red Queen.
Compared to Red Queen this book is WAY BETTER. Doesn't have the misogyny of Red Queen and certainly the world characters are better written.
Now about the book itself. Considering everything is LimerOS, AuranOS, WesterO-- wait that last one isn't in this book. Yeah, basically this is trying to be Game of Thrones Lite or something. Without all the rape rape rape. I'm not certain if it does or not because Game of Thrones should disappear forever so I'll never read it.
Lest to say the map is dull, 3 kingdoms stacked on top of each other. One king is EVIL, one is... a drunkard? We Really don't get to learn too much about him other than his daughter is an exotic snake dancer because EXOTIC. Only what she's doing isn't so exotic. And she (I think) is dark skinned, but so is Jonas and probably most of the other Paelsians. aaand TRAGIC GOOD? KING.
Really this book tries to set itself up for greatness only it feels like the entire book is buildup with no real resolution.
The female characters are kinda flat and weak of course. The men are.. evil. The other characters are too enigmatic to really care about so you forget they exist until they have their one page exposition.
Overall this is not a book I like. I don't like all the killing and the death... there's a lot of dying in here for named characters. I wanted to get into the fantasy magical side of the book, but this is more about how the kings are going to kill each other off. It was just boring and didn't seem to spend enough time on the character that matter than the characters that were just an engine to move the characters we really wanted to care about. ( )
  Maverynthia | Sep 4, 2015 |
Despite what you'd think from the cover, there is very little wearing of white cloaks and swooshing of magic blades and things. There is a lot of whining by spoiled royal children though. The narration of the audiobook was fine though he gave everyone accents but then narrated without an accent which seemed odd. What little of the magic we see is your typical elemental stuff so I was bored there. There are a lot of characters and switching views, which isn't easy to follow on audio so I recommend against listening if you are debating on it. Over all just a bit disappointed. ( )
1 vote anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
Richly imaginative and totally epic, Falling Kingdoms has earned itself a coveted place on my favorites shelf. I cannot recommend this book enough!! ( )
  dkgarner95 | Jul 29, 2015 |
Did not enjoy this.
  mkbird | Apr 24, 2015 |
This book is about four sons and daughters of 3 different kingdoms. There is Cleo, Jonas, Lucia and Magnus. Each kingdom has it own kings: the Auranos, Limeros and Paelsia. Jonas' older brother Tomas was killed and he wanted revenge. Jonas is a rebel and he doesn't like the Auranos kingdom or Cleo. He wanted Cleo to die because he said that she killed his brother. Cleo is the youngest daughter of the Auranian king. She is beautiful, spoil and rich. She witness the murder of Jonas' brother. Magnus and Lucia are brother and sister of the Limeros kingdom. But Lucia found out that she was adopted at birth. Then the rebels started a war with Cleo's kingdom. What I like about this book is the setting and how everyone came from a different background. It was fun, full of suspense, and at times emotional. I like how everyone was fighting for power, people were dying; witches were put to death; it contained magic and It showed the good and evil of people. ( )
  shakirh.b3 | Mar 24, 2015 |

In a land where magic has been forgotten but peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest is simmering. Three kingdoms grapple for power—brutally transforming their subjects’ lives in the process. Amidst betrayals, bargains, and battles, four young people find their fates forever intertwined:

Cleo: A princess raised in luxury must embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of a magic long thought extinct.

Jonas: Enraged at injustice, a rebel lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country impoverished—and finds himself the leader of a people’s revolution centuries in the making.

Lucia: A girl adopted at birth into a royal family discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Magnus: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, a firstborn son begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword...

The only outcome that’s certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

"A fantasy about three kingdoms on the brink of war and the destiny of one princess"--Provided by publisher.

Michelle Rowan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

112 wanted5 pay1 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,787,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible