No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Falling Kingdoms, by Morgan Rhodes, is overall good book, but there are some things that bothered me. The switching of perspectives got a little confusing. I usually like when books do that, but this book switched between so many characters it got confusing and annoying. I would have to wait a few chapters before I got back to the same character I had read about before. It made the book choppy and slightly irritating. I liked the idea behind the book, but I felt like a lot of the same things kept happening. Nothing was really surprising. I also felt like there was a lot of unnecessary deaths. It was only the first book, and about four people had died already. I do like the fantasy in the book, and the idea of watchers in the form of hawks. There could have been some more romance in the book, but overall I liked the book. Cleo matures throughout the book, and we see Magnus struggle with what's right and wrong. Even though the switching of the characters gets confusing, it's cool to see all of the character's perspectives. I thought this was an interesting book, and there were only a few things that I disliked about it. ( )
  codiec321 | Jan 21, 2016 |
A teenage Game of Thrones. Rhodes built a dark and vivid world, filled with complex stories and characters. ( )
  LaPhenix | Dec 19, 2015 |
I saw that FALLING KINGDOMS was being hailed as the YA version of The Game of Thrones. The overall reviews looked promising. I decided to give Morgan Rhodes a chance. This was a book I kept at work. I started reading it on December 6th, and finished on the morning of the 11th. Five days. Only reason it took my 5 Whole Days to read was because I didn't bring it home with me each morning!

The book is fast paced. Action-packed. A real page-turner . . . and whatever other cliches about awesome books you want to add!

Three different territories. Two Kings, and one chief. One of the three is over all prosperous on all fronts. The other two are very jealous and greedy! Princes and princesses. Warriors and common folk. Magic and evil plots. FALLING KINGDOMS is ripe with tension!

I loved the book. I've ordered the other three in the series. Look forward to their arrival in the mail!

Phillip Tomasso
Author of Damn the Dead and Blood River ( )
  ptom3 | Dec 11, 2015 |
This book is about three kingdoms that are on the verge of war due to an accident in Palesia (one of the kingdoms). A guard is assigned to watch the Princess that was in Palesia during the accident and Aron (the boy who caused this accident) is getting engaged to The princess. Two witches steal a child from palesia who is a Sorceress. One of the sisters betrays the other and takes the child to Limeros. In Limeros a Prince is training to be like his father "The Blood King". Magnus the Prince, has a "sister" that has magical powers. The Princess of Limeros is the Child from Palesia stolen by the sisters. A month later a war starts in Auranos and Auranos is conquered by Palesia and Limeros. ( the two kingdoms unite to destroy Auranos and take its resources.)

I loved this book so much because it hooked me from the start and I love Fantasy stories based in the "Dark Ages" . I gave it this rating because there were so many details that I left some out for the sake of time, and I want to read the rest of the series. ( )
  JoseR.B1 | Oct 30, 2015 |
Game of Thrones for teens (because teens don't read Game of Thrones!! I'm being facetious, forgive me). Well, when I started this I was excited because YA High Fantasy is always my thing, and you in the beginning I was digging it. The prologue is great.
... and, you know, that was about all I thought was great. It's frustrating when you read a book that is one step away from being good but it's just not. And I always feel so sad when the High Fantasy books are the ones that aren't good.
The issue with this was that everyone was a stereotype of some overused fantasy trope. Cleo is a spoiled princess, Lucia is the one with the ~magic~, Magnus is the dark amoral one (yes, he was the only one I liked), and Jonas was the "barbarian" rebel. They never became more than their stereotypes. They were never anything more than their first impressions as characters. There was really no growth. They were beaten around by the plot (especially Cleo, good grief nearly every death happened to someone around her), but they never grew from it.
The political schema was a mess. The idea was there but the execution was not. I'm expected to believe an entire kingdom was totally cool with the idea of growing nothing but grapes? Like, no one in the whole kingdom thought that was a shady idea? They were all good with it? Like, the steps were all there to make it reasonable as to how that kingdom became impoverished and desperate, but the steps were also wildly implausible.
I thought it was odd that every single one of the adults is shown in a terrible light. Even Cleo's father who—I think—you're supposed to like is shown as being pretty harsh and callous. Like, if you're expecting me to only root for the teenagers maybe they should be a tad less annoying. I liked Magnus, the attempt at the amoral character was a good one. The whole plot with him being in love with his sister was all very Game of Thrones, but that was all he was? He was just that dude in love with his sister. There was nothing more to him than that. Jonas and Cleo drove me crazy. All Jonas was was his need for vengeance to a point where I just kept saying 'Ok, calm down, dude, people think about other things sometimes...' I'm not sure what my issue with Cleo was, I just didn't mesh with her well (which happens).
The magic was all... just I'd seen it all before and I wasn't interested in any of it. I'm trying to not complain about elemental magic system bases when I see them, but good grief people can't we do something else? I wouldn't even mind a return to the Tamora Pierce barely explained magic system because it gives a better range of magic. Elemental magic just sets you up to be compared to Avatar: The Last Airbender and, let's be real here, no one is going to beat Avatar.
I'm trying to look at this book from the point of view of someone who doesn't read a lot of high fantasy and I can see where it would be interesting with the multiple characters. Rhodes likes to use blood super gratuitously (like... in places it doesn't even make sense) and you know I kind of liked that.
However, the characters are flat, the dialogue is stilted (it was so uncomfortable, I was rewriting it in my head as I was reading and that's always a bad sign), and it's all relatively generic. It's all a lot of things I've seen done better than this.
I probably won't pick up the next book in the series because it just wasn't bad enough to warrant it. I was just bored. An unfortunate thing, alas.
Ultimately, there are better YA High Fantasy novels out there. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |

In a land where magic has been forgotten but peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest is simmering. Three kingdoms grapple for power—brutally transforming their subjects’ lives in the process. Amidst betrayals, bargains, and battles, four young people find their fates forever intertwined:

Cleo: A princess raised in luxury must embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of a magic long thought extinct.

Jonas: Enraged at injustice, a rebel lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country impoverished—and finds himself the leader of a people’s revolution centuries in the making.

Lucia: A girl adopted at birth into a royal family discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Magnus: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, a firstborn son begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword...

The only outcome that’s certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

"A fantasy about three kingdoms on the brink of war and the destiny of one princess"--Provided by publisher.

Michelle Rowan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

147 wanted5 pay1 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,048,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible