A Question of Identity by Susan Hill

A Question of Identity (edition 2012)

by Susan Hill

Member:vancouverdeb
Title:A Question of Identity
Authors:Susan Hill
Info:Overlook Press (2012), Hardcover, 354 pages
Tags:British, fiction, Simon Serailler, mystery

A Question of Identity by Susan Hill

A thoroughly enjoyable series: intelligent and engaging. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
This starts with a flashback to a trial: a man is found not guilty of three murders. Elderly, vulnerable women. Such is the public outcry that he is given a new identity.
Lafferton, ten years later. A woman is killed. Elderly, vulnerable, murdered the same way as those three women in 2002. But how can Simon Serrailler track down a villain who doesn’t exist: the man was given a new name, a new face, a new identity and was relocated. But we’re talking about murder, so surely one police department will help another?
This is an intriguing premise, all too believable. As ever with Hill’s novels, this is efficient and chilling. She introduces us to prospective villains, each seems a little questionable: but are we being unfair, reading something into signs that don’t exist, generalising, making assumptions? In parallel with the introduction of prospective villains, we are also shown prospective victims.
Whilst Simon Serrailler deals with this emotional case, his own heart is being pulled between love and guilt, and his sister Cat must manage two warring children.
An excellent tale which keeps the pages turning, an examination of the jury system. When ‘not guilty’ can be the wrong verdict, when ‘with reasonable doubt’ can condemn more vulnerable women. A disturbing take on the efficiency of our justice system.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Oct 22, 2015 |
Where I got the book: audiobook on Audible. ***SPOILERS, READ BOOK FIRST***

In this installment of the Simon Serailler murder mystery series, Simon is confronted with a killer of old ladies. Little old ladies. Nice old ladies. Because nobody is safe in Susan Hill’s world.

I’m giving this one three and a half stars because I like Susan Hill’s writing and this time around she shoved a lot of the extraneous subplotting into the background and got on with investigating the murder. The family soap opera was still there, centered mostly on Sam and Hannah who are now at an age where they can start getting into trouble and/or being trouble in general, but I don’t have that feeling of the subplots drowning out the mystery. Hill seems to have dropped the socio-political commentary level a bit, and there’s no talk this time about police cutbacks—at the same time there’s not nearly as much whining about how Simon’s paperwork stops him from getting out on the street. He acts just like any other fictional detective by unrealistically combining seniority and action, and he’s all the better for it. And I felt engaged by the mystery plot and wanted to know more, plus I find I rather enjoy it when Hill gets into the killer’s head—especially when I realized who he was (that “he” isn’t a spoiler as it’s obvious from the beginning who he is, we just don’t know who he is now.)

BUT.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TOENAILS?

I find it very hard to forgive Hill for setting up this juicy murder method and then not explaining WHY the killer window-dressed his victims the way he did. The mirror. The toenails. I thought for sure I knew what the mirror was about—there’s a theme of dual identity that runs through the killer, one victim AND the detective and is just screaming to be exploited—but seriously, what was up with the toenails? I NEED TO KNOW. I’m used to Hill leaving loose threads, but this one really bugs me as what we end up with is a killer without a motive, or perhaps no motive except the pleasure he gets from the crime. And even then, if pleasure is a motive I need to know why that particular setup is necessary for X to get his jollies. We get one clue right at the end, and I thought the moment had come when all would be revealed—and then the moment passed and was lost forever.

My other major gripe with the murder plot was the fact that they only catch the guy due to a key piece of information given to them by the sinister and mysterious department that arranges for the killer’s new identity. This is a department that’s so deeply hidden that they have to go through arcane layers of security to get anything done at all, but at one point they suddenly start acting with buffoonish incompetence and blow their cover, THEN they decide to give out one little teaser of information instead of just saying “OK, his name is ___” and THEN at the end one of them calls Serailler to have a bit of a gloat (narrator Steven Pacey uses a lovely nasal villain-voice for him because, yes, he IS a caricature and deserves a cartoon voice). If this is really the kind of deep, deep operation that can wipe out a man’s identity and retrain him into a completely new life, it would not act like this. It would probably never even acknowledge its own existence even to itself, let alone to the CID, and it certainly wouldn’t give out information on its subjects no matter what they did. Logically, it would kill them itself, by arranging for a nasty freak accident.

And let’s not even start on the fact that once again, the sleepy little cathedral town of Lafferton has a serial killer—although, to be fair, that’s just the way life is in a murder mystery series. You have to suspend your sense of the absurd and go with the flow at some point.

Hill makes a half-hearted attempt to wrap the horrendous Simon/Rachel romance into the theme with Rachel’s “I don’t know who I am” at the end, but that’s as far as it goes. There’s some Twoo Luv stuff between the two of them near the beginning, but most of the time they’re too busy to see each other, and serve them right. When they are together their relationship seems to be based on sex and eating. We know absolutely nothing about Rachel—what does she do when she’s not glued to her poor dear cuckolded husband’s side? What is she interested in? Does she have family? Who are her friends? What are her faults? What’s she like when she’s ticked off about something?

I’m trying to figure out why it is I can see all these flaws in the Serailler books and still keep reading. Is it simply for the chills? Because Hill is extremely good at evoking that OH SHIT feeling when the stair tread creaks and you know, you know . . . . And she has this way of pinpointing all the nasty things in my own head, all the little worries and disappointments and feelings of anger and frustration, and putting them into fictional characters to whom nasty things tend to happen. You could, perhaps, theorize that there are two purposes for murder mysteries—the first being to satisfy the reader’s craving for justice by ensuring that the bad guys always get caught and punished, the second being to satisfy our need to feel scared when we’re safe in our own homes, our animal instincts that SOMETHING’S GOING TO POUNCE warring with the logic based on actual crime figures. In my opinion Hill does badly on the first count, well on the second. And it’s the women and children who are picked off, one by one, as the darkness prowls around us, because we’re the weak ones and are never safe, even when we think we are.

Hang on. What was that? I think I heard a noise. I’ll be right back ( )
  JaneSteen | Jan 9, 2015 |
Bought while traveling overseas, an interesting introduction to this writer and her series. Intricate plot with some false leads. Kept me guessing...now to go back and start at the beginning to know the characters in the series. ( )
1 vote VictoriaJZ | Nov 10, 2013 |
From Susan Hill, another solid entry in the Simon Serrailler Crime novel series, which now numbers seven. Set in Lafferton, A Question of Identity describes the grisly murders of three elderly women in their homes. The genesis of these crimes goes back ten years, to a botched trial from which, despite overwhelming evidence, the accused was acquitted. Hill has structured the action so that for most of the book the reader knows more than the police, and Serrailler gropes along in the dark trying to piece together the bits and pieces of evidence that come his way. The murders and the path to their resolution are intriguing, but just as engaging are the lives of the characters that populate Hill's story. Serrailler, his sister Cat, their father and step-mother, and Cat's three children are characters in a larger drama that plays out over the course of this book, and which leaves enough loose ends dangling that readers will be eagerly anticipating the next novel in the series. ( )
  icolford | Jun 26, 2013 |

Susan Hill- the Man Booker Prize nominee and winner of the Whitbread, Somerset Maugham, and John Llewellyn Rhys awards- returns with a gripping mystery "eagerly awaited by all aficionados" (P.D. James).

Initial investigations discover that the mysterious "sign" left on the body was the calling card of a suspect who was charged with several murders in the northwest of the country, tried but acquitted on the grounds of insufficient evidence. All indications suggest that this person has simply vanished. Or is he right under their noses? Simon Serrailler is obliged to make delve deeper and scratch out answers, in this addictive mystery of surpassing darkness by the bestselling Susan Hill.

A particularly unpleasant murder, that of a very old woman in a housing project, rocks the town of Lafferton. The murderer has left a distinctive "sign" on the body and at the scene of crime. A couple of weeks later, a similar murder occurs, and a month or so later, so does another. Initial investigations discover that the mysterious "sign" left on the body was the calling card of a suspect who was charged with several murders in the northwest of the country, tried but acquitted on the grounds of insufficient evidence. All indications suggest that this person has simply vanished. Or is he right under their noses? Simon Serrailler is obliged to make delve deeper and scratch out answers.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,582,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible