Not Dead Yet by Peter James

Not Dead Yet (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Peter James

Member:steg.org.uk
Title:Not Dead Yet
Authors:Peter James
Info:Pan (2012), Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:***1/2

Not Dead Yet by Peter James (2012)

English (10)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
My second reading of this book, having read the others prior to the second reading. Whilst it was still a very good book, I think I enjoyed it more the first time. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
DS Roy Grace is concerned with identifying a corpse found buried in an industrial chicken shed. The team is struggling to identify the body since it was found without a head, arms or legs. Meanwhile, his boss asks him to ensure the safety of visiting star, Gaia Lafayette, who is filming a movie about King George IV and his lover, Maria Fitzherbert. Roy is also being pulled into some personal issues. After ten years he's having his missing wife declared dead so he can marry his current partner, Cleo Morey, who is just about to give birth to his child. He's also preparing for a major trial and trying to make a good impression on his new boss.

The reader is not sure who is threatening the safety of Gaia, but we meet at least two possible suspects. American, Drayton Wheeler, is convinced they've stolen his screenplay and is determined to ruin the movie, and Anna Galicia, an obsessive fan, has created a Gaia shrine and is convinced that Gaia makes secret signs only for her during performances. The book is written in short chapters jumping between various characters and this adds some tension to the mix.

I thought it was fast paced and filled with well crafted characters. The recurring story line of what's happened to his wife, Sandy, is filled in a little more. I do wish this would conclude at some point. The character of Roy Grace is well rounded and he's changed so much from the first book where he was so introspective. We can feel his joy escalating as the birth of his child draws near and his marriage to Cleo approaches. I thought the story was over the top in many instances but maybe that's what I liked about it. I was certainly entertained and can't wait to read the next book in the series, Dead Man's Time. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 15, 2016 |
This a book of two halves; the good half is the police procedural thriller, which is is engrossing and tautly written . The characters are well drawn and even the ongoing soap opera elements are not too distracting and add to the characterisation.
But unfortunately there is a bad half, the non police story elements and characters, especially those concerning the Americans, who are heavily caricatured and irritating. This lessened my enjoyment significantly and lost the book a star in my rating. I hope the next one will be more strongly.home based in terms of its characters.
One more moan, there are too many forced short chapters, flitting from one character or plot line to another, without waiting for a natural break in the flow of events ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
A good Roy Grace crime story. The characters are well bedded in now, with theback story of Grace's missing wife gradually being revealed. A good plot, with several twists and turns keeps the reader interested until the end ( )
  PIER50 | Jul 18, 2013 |
I am starting to feel rather bored with Peter James and his protagonist Roy Grace. Of course, Grace himself is a fairly engaging character (though perhaps just a little too good to be true) but the plots in this series of nvels are becoming increasingly implausible, and the continuing back story about the disappearance ten years ago of Grace's wife is descending into sheer farce.

This this latest episode in the Grace saga see Gaia, a megastar (clearly modelled on Madonna) returning to her home town on Brighton to star in a film based around the love affair between King George IV and Mrs Fitzherbert. She is stalked by crazed fans and by a failed screenwriter sworn to revenge because he is convinced that his masterful script has been stolen.

As always with Peter James, the police procedural aspects of the story are very well researched and convincing, but the unnecessarily convoluted plot and the fallible characterisation leave the reader incapable of summoning much interest.

Underwhelming! ( )
  Eyejaybee | Apr 15, 2013 |
Een dodelijke obsessie is nog maar het begin...
For GEOFF DUFFIELD
You believed in me and you made it happen
I am warning you, and I won't repeat this warning.

Roy Grace investigates threats against Gaia Lafayette, a Hollywood star who is filming in Brighton, but when a body is found on a farm miles away, Grace and his men must race against time to stop an obssessive killer.

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,824,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible