A Human Element by Donna Galanti

A Human Element (edition 2012)

by Donna Galanti

207515,329 (4.14)None
Title:A Human Element
Authors:Donna Galanti
Info:Echelon Press Publishing (2012), Paperback, 310 pages

A Human Element by Donna Galanti

I don't know how to describe this book. It was horror, love, loneliness, connectivity; it will toy with your emotions. It kept me in its grip from beginning to end. I wanted more; I felt this book; I wanted everything to be alright yet not; I wanted to know what would become of humanity and inhumanity. Lucky for me, this was book one of a trilogy. Strangely, for whatever odd reason, as I read the wind began to whip around our house, the trees bent half over, thunder rolled and lightning flashed. I am not blaming the book (nor the weather), but it almost made me wonder about these odd elements at this particular time. Of course it wasn't the book, it couldn't be, but what an additional background to what I was reading.

I was held in a death-grip wondering what would come next every step of the way. Just when the worst would be happening, good would appear from what would appear to be nowhere. I was in awe of how Donna Galanti could maneuver my mind in so many ways with her words. She has an amazing array of feelings that she works to a frenzy then calms. I have never read a book that was so alive, so twisted and yet so vulnerable. It is the ultimate in a personal war of good and evil. It is a possibility of whatever, whoever may reside on a dying planet. This is a book I will clearly not forget, because I will have to read the next and the next.

There is strength in all of us, we don't always use it, but it is there when we need it. Laura Armstrong has strength and compassion of a very special kind, in fact she is a very special girl. Horrific things have happened in her life, but she is a survivor. Ben Fieldstone has also lived through horrific events, but has come out in need of help, he doesn't feel strength or love. They are connected but neither knows how. Bereaved as children, they've never met. But they are connected, perhaps by the man in black that always seems to be there to calm a crisis. If you want to be thrilled, terrified, enthralled, I know you will enjoy this book. ( )
  readerbynight | Aug 22, 2015 |
With A Human Element by Donna Galanti being her first novel, I can only imagine what is to come!!!! I am very excited to find out. I will definitely be following this author.

I have heard so much about A Human Element from my sister, Laura, so when Donna Galanti offered me the book to review, I jumped all over it.

I mean, check out that ominous cover. It oozes mystery and danger to me.

A Human Element is about man’s inhumanity to man, man’s callous disregard of other’s lives, but also, the lengths some people will go to do the right thing.

Evil, yes.

Aliens, yes.

I LOVE this book. The further into A Human Element I read, the more engrossed I become. My heart beats faster as my eyes race across the words…faster and faster. I just have to know what is going to happen. I read on and it gets creepier and creepier.

Ben – he was only nine when his parents were killed by the meteorite that crashed in town and changed his life forever.

Sarah - swore she had never been with a man as she struggles to deliver the child. The nurse stands over Sarah, saying it is her own fault for sinning. She has no empathy for her, even as she lay dying. I found the nurse’s behavior real enough that I became pissed off and would have liked to smack her up side the head and ask her who died and made her God. I mean, how low can you get, especially being in her line of work. Have you even seen or felt the mean hand of righteous indignation and hypocrisy?

The doctor and the nurse will lie to everyone about what happened that day. Crappy people have to find a way to justify their crappy actions. The doctor’s guilt over what he has done, does not outweigh his greed. Karma is a bitch and she demands justice be served. I don’t feel sorry for what happens to him.

Laura – as she grows up, she knows she is different from everyone else. She keeps her abilities a secret. At times she wonders, do miracles happen or is something else going on. Laura can read minds, among other things. Would you want to have that ability?

“Hmph…of course it makes sense you would have polite powers, doesn’t it?’

When her parents are killed and she is left alone, she is committed to finding the killer.

Jim and Scooter – what can I say. I love them both! I believe you will too. They are all that is good in this world. I worry about them. Please let them be okay.

Jim and Laura’s thesaurus game, with their lively and fun banter, lends the book some humor. It is writing like this that gives Donna Galanti’s work that something extra, that something special that takes her work to the highest levels.

Charlie – HE knows hate, luxuriates in it, thrives on it, is driven by it. Hate oozes from his pores like sweat. He hates everything, but mostly he hates Laura. He vows to take her life with his own two hands, to feel the life flow out of her.

Felix - the green eyed man – is he good or bad?

Donna pulled more than one surprise out of her hat and she does an excellent job of showing humanities weaknesses. All the darkness and evil is shared with light and goodness. Human emotions run the gamut – pain and torture, hate and greed, love and generosity, sorrow and bliss.

Each character is forced to assess what is important to them as their moment of destiny approaches.

I love the part about sunrises. Laura explains to Jim how they are like snowflakes, no two alike. I have many sunset photographs of Cape Cod over the years I vacationed there. Friends and family would ask me why I am shooting more. I would tell them that each is unique.

I felt such tension, suspense, fear and dread for the characters, that I was talking to them. Shouting at them. Telling them to watch out. He’s coming.

I had thought A Human Element was paranormal, but it is not, even though powers are involved. They come from another place. A place out of this world.

I never saw the ending coming. Fantastic. I kept trying to figure it out and felt tortured and pained as I raced through the pages – I HAVE to know – now!

I am sitting here, finished, looking at nothing, in complete disbelief. Awesome! Donna Galanti’s imagination knows no bounds.

I am so bummed the story is over. I want so much to read more. I am afraid, yet hopeful because of Laura and her innate goodness. Can it overcome what is lurking on the horizon? My sneak peek has me craving more.

But, wait, it goes on - A Hidden Element, Book II, sits on my Kindle. Must ...read...now.

I was given this book in return for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  sherry69 | Jan 12, 2015 |
At first I really enjoyed A HUMAN ELEMENT. It was mysterious, a bit spooky and I thought the concept was unique. All those elements continued throughout the book, but it lost me about halfway through when it didn't pick up speed. I slowly started to lose interest in the story all together and had to force myself to finish it with the slow pace. I did like the characters and the overall storyline was interesting. There is a book 2 coming A HIDDEN ELEMENT, but I'm just not invested enough in the story to want to continue it.

* This book was provided free of charge from the author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Sep 5, 2014 |
I received my copy of A Human Element from Library Thing to read and review. A good mix of sci-fi, mystery and romance, this book grabbed and kept my interest from the get go. Ben is a young boy running away from home when a meteorite crashes in the resort area where he and his family are staying, destroying most everything and killing his parents. Laura, who was born about the same time as this event, also is from this area, though she is raised by adoptive parents in the nearby rural area. We follow these two through their lives, filled with ups and downs as well as some strange events until they meet up and are smitten at once. How this all turns out is fascinating. In the plot, there is a good mix of everything, from their romance to friendship to a mysterious government cover up to a fight between good and evil. Just what the evil and good are presents a fascinating tale. How it all turns out is even better. In many ways this book tells the story of something that could never happen, and in many ways it tells the story of is something that is very possible. The descriptions of the meteorite event as well as of those events that occur in Laura and Ben’s lives, whether together or apart are well presented and entice the reader to keep reading. The characters other than the two main ones lend as much to the story and plot as the two main characters do. I hope there are other books by the author as well done as this one is. As an avid reader, I am always on the lookout for like to find new authors to read and enjoy, and this author is one I will definitely keep in mind. ( )
  KMT01 | Nov 3, 2012 |
In A Human Element, Donna Galanti has created a thriller with a huge, aching heart. Her main characters, Ben and Laura are conjured in delicious detail, as are their personal trials.

Laura longs to know who her birth parents are, who the hulking man with green eyes is, and why he follows her through the years. She's also tortured by the mystery of why people closest to her are dying gruesome deaths. She fears she is jinxed, or worse, next in the line of victims.

Ben, who's had quite a traumatic childhood and teenhood, enlists in the Navy and is stationed in Hawaii. He can't figure out why he finds it impossible to commit to one woman, as his friends do. He also suffers from feeling responsible for the murder of his abusive stepfather.

Laura and Ben's lives begin to merge through the appearance of the strange man with green eyes in Ben's life, at a crucial, terrifying moment. I can't say more about the plot without spouting forth spoilers.
But I will say, that arguably my favorite character is Galanti's villain X-10, almost tenderly portrayed as both a pathetic, lonely misfit, yet also as a bloodthirsty monstrosity who kills with glee, and whose powers of murder are strong enough to kill from a distance.

Galanti's rich and provocative thriller asks big questions. What makes us human, what makes us monstrous? Is there a love that can transcend the physical and emotional, to the supernatural? What activity exists far beyond the confines of earth, and what would we do if confronted with it? I'm happy to report that Galanti's response to this is much deeper than the knee-jerk Hollywood alien takeovers, or even the cutesy ET tropes. Galanti has given us an impressive debut. With her blending of romance, the coming of age quest, and the supernatural, she is a writer to watch, who will surely expand the diameters of the thriller genre. ( )
  CatherineStine | Oct 15, 2012 |
Ben Fieldstone jumped over the rotted log at the edge of Coopersville Lake. A short lifetime of summers told him it was there.
We all have something redeemable in us, no matter how small. - Laura Armstrong
Someday you might not thank me. Someday you may not survive. - The Man in Black
I saved my mother's life once and my friend, Mr. B, but I couldn't save my other friends. They died in horrible ways all because of me. - Laura Armstrong
I never made love, only hate. Hate for myself mostly. - Ben Fieldstone
What if you discover me, the real me. Things I've done, things that have happened to me and decide you don't want me? Will you help me remember love then? - Ben Fieldstone

One by one, Laura Armstrong’s friends and adoptive family members are being murdered, and despite her unique healing powers, she can do nothing to stop it. The savage killer haunts her dreams, tormenting her with the promise that she is next.

Determined to find the killer, she follows her visions to the site of a crashed meteorite–her hometown. There, she meets Ben Fieldstone, who seeks answers about his parents’ death the night the meteorite struck. In a race to stop a mad man, they unravel a frightening secret that binds them together. But the killer’s desire to destroy Laura face-to-face leads to a showdown that puts Laura and Ben’s emotional relationship and Laura’s pure spirit to the test. With the killer closing in, Laura discovers her destiny is linked to his and she has two choices–redeem him or kill him.

Donna Galanti is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible