Year Zero: A Novel by Rob Reid

Year Zero: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Rob Reid

282None39,723 (3.59)13
Member:Rachel31
Title:Year Zero: A Novel
Authors:Rob Reid
Info:Del Rey (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages

Year Zero by Rob Reid

English (24)  Italian (1)  All languages (25)
Science Fiction/Comedy

Do Earth’s copyright violations count in outer space? The visiting extraterrestrials think so and the illegal downloading (since 1977) of every pop song ever by everyone in the entire universe is bound to bankrupt even the most remote galactic bank and ice farmer in the universe. Perhaps copyright lawyer Nick Carter (the other Nick Carter) can figure a way out before the aliens decide it’s just easier to destroy the earth.

Official Rob Reid Website http://readrobreid.com/ ( )
  TheAlternativeOne | Mar 18, 2014 |
I love it when I read the first chapter of a book and just know that I am going to love it. Year Zero was one of those books.
Despite the promises given by so many cover-blurbs, it is rare for a book to make me laugh out loud. Year Zero did. Especially the first half of the book had me involuntary burst out into chuckles and beyond more often than I care to admit. Jokes are delivered in an effortless, Douglas Adams'y, way. Absurdity is taken right up to the line of the ridiculous, but never crosses it. Silliness is well-measured, and never seems misplaced.
The premise is brilliant. It is laid out in the first chapter, which can be read for free on Amazon (Go read it!). In short, aliens have been pirating human music for decades, and just realised that they owe us an unfathomable amount of money in copyright infringement fees.
The plot is more than good enough for a book of this genre, and it does exactly what it needs to do. It explores the premise, the characters, and the ideas this book is full of. These things are done superbly. The plot is somewhat loose, but easy to follow, and its casual and irreverent nature is probably what opens for some really funny, and some genuinely surprising, twists.

Basically, read the first chapter. If you enjoy it, you will enjoy the book. I really can't see why anyone wouldn't. It's just a bunch of really, really good fun. ( )
  clq | Dec 28, 2013 |
A fun sci-fi farce, with aliens and lawyers. The universe has fallen in love with Earth's music, but illegally pirated all of it. Then trouble and misadventures follow. ( )
  dougcornelius | Dec 25, 2013 |
An engaging book about what happens when aliens copy the entirety of the Earth's musical catalog, and the copyright licensing implications of such copying. It's more fun than it sounds, honest, although I do speak as an intellectual property lawyer, and my tastes may be a trifle skewed in this regard. A light, fun read. ( )
  Meggo | Oct 20, 2013 |
Aliens have been spying on humanity since the 1970s. And while they don't have a terribly high opinion of our culture in general, they really like our music. They really, really like our music. Turns out we're the only species in the universe that's any good at all at that particular art form, to the extent that even our schlockiest TV theme songs can make the average alien swoon with ecstasy. So, needless to say, they've spent a lot of time listening to our songs. And making copies. Lots of copies. And now, they've suddenly discovered the human concept of copyright law, which they feel morally bound to obey... meaning humanity is now owed literally all of the money in the universe. But there are some people who think it would be nice if humanity were to quietly wipe itself out, so that no one will have to pay up.

Based on the premise, and the buzz I heard about this novel when it first came out, I was expecting a really smart, sharp satire. On that score, I must say, I was a little disappointed. There is some satire here, but it's rather uneven in its effectiveness, and mostly the humor is more on the "silly romp" end of things. Sometimes a little too silly, really. Still, it was fairly amusing, and I did chuckle out loud a number of times. So, not bad, but not quite what I was expecting or entirely in the mood for. ( )
  bragan | Oct 20, 2013 |
..a lot like if Carl Hiaasen wrote American Psycho, but about the music copyright business instead of a bloodthirsty psychopath—if there is any difference. At least one dust jacket review wants to draw comparisons with Douglas Adams. But this isn't the dry British humor of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it's the full-bore American smartass variety (though it does tend to meander like an Adams book).
added by WeeklyAlibi | editWeekly Alibi, John Bear (Aug 9, 2012)

For Morgan
Aliens suck at music.

An alien advance party was suddenly nosing around my planet.
Worse, they were lawyering up. . . .

In the hilarious tradition of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Rob Reid takes you on a headlong journey through the outer reaches of the universe—and the inner workings of our absurdly dysfunctional music industry.

Low-level entertainment lawyer Nick Carter thinks it’s a prank, not an alien encounter, when a redheaded mullah and a curvaceous nun show up at his office. But Frampton and Carly are highly advanced (if bumbling) extraterrestrials. And boy, do they have news.

The entire cosmos, they tell him, has been hopelessly hooked on humanity’s music ever since “Year Zero” (1977 to us), when American pop songs first reached alien ears. This addiction has driven a vast intergalactic society to commit the biggest copyright violation since the Big Bang. The resulting fines and penalties have bankrupted the whole universe. We humans suddenly own everything—and the aliens are not amused.

Nick Carter has just been tapped to clean up this mess before things get ugly, and he’s an unlikely galaxy-hopping hero: He’s scared of heights. He’s also about to be fired. And he happens to have the same name as a Backstreet Boy. But he does know a thing or two about copyright law. And he’s packing a couple of other pencil-pushing superpowers that could come in handy.

Soon he’s on the run from a sinister parrot and a highly combustible vacuum cleaner. With Carly and Frampton as his guides, Nick now has forty-eight hours to save humanity, while hopefully wowing the hot girl who lives down the hall from him.

“Hilarious, provocative, and supersmart, Year Zero is a brilliant novel to be enjoyed in perpetuity in the known universe and in all unknown universes yet to be discovered.”—John Hodgman, resident expert, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:51 -0400)

In the hilarious tradition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Rob Reid takes you on a headlong journey through the outer reaches of the universe -- and the inner workings of our absurdly dysfunctional music industry.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible