Year Zero: A Novel by Rob Reid

Year Zero: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Rob Reid

Collections:Your library, Audiobooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read, fiction, audio, 2013review, 3.75/5

Year Zero by Rob Reid

English (31)  Italian (1)  All languages (32)
Laugh-out-loud funny. It's been a while since a book elicited tears of laughter from me.
Reid skewers almost everybody from lawyers to unions; hipsters to politicians.
Gets a bit preachy about intellectual property rights through the middle, without much regard to the artist.
It has all the simple anti big-label arguments that say, "They brought it on themselves," and "It's only stealing if you get caught."

Still, I enjoyed the book so much that I bought it twice.
I started on Audible for a long drive and then picked up the Kindle version to finish up at home.
(I would feel silly listening to an audiobook at home. For some reason, it seems to make perfect sense in the car.)

We're clearly set up for a sequel. I look forward to it. ( )
  mpawloski | Dec 13, 2014 |
This is one of those books that I look back on and go "what did I just read?!?!"
It was a very fun book with the items that I have come to expect from sci-fi with humor that comes from looking back on the 70s & 80s!
If you love music, sci-fi or are just looking for an easy read that will entertain you it is all here. ( )
  gopfolk | Oct 22, 2014 |
At first this book seemed like a knock-off of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I am not at all a fan of, but as I got into it I realized that it is actually quite a bit more. Underneath the "quirky" "random" humor it is a pointed social satire about intellectual property issues in the digital age. Filled with pop culture references, it will probably feel incredibly dated in just a few years, but right now it is clever indeed. ( )
  juliehath | Oct 7, 2014 |
This book was cute and charming with a big hook. The hook was awesome and worth reading on its own. The cute and the charming held the whole thing together, but didn't really improve on the first impression.

The hook though, what a hook. The hook is the premise that alien cultures love earth music, but are legally obligated to respect our copyright laws. Thus, the insanity that is the copyright damage protection act and the Digital Millenium Copyright act threaten to be the end of humanity.

This central premise is the reason to read this book. If copyright aliens and the end of the Earth don't make you giggle, don't bother. The rest of the book is cute and charming, but hardly remarkable. There is a lot that feels influenced by Scalzi's Agent to the Stars. Scalzi does it better.

I'm very glad I took a chance on this one, but it is a one-joke book. If you like the joke, you'll enjoy the book. If it doesn't work for you, neither will the book. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Enjoyable, but not great. Reads a bit like Scalzi's more comedic stories. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
..a lot like if Carl Hiaasen wrote American Psycho, but about the music copyright business instead of a bloodthirsty psychopath—if there is any difference. At least one dust jacket review wants to draw comparisons with Douglas Adams. But this isn't the dry British humor of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it's the full-bore American smartass variety (though it does tend to meander like an Adams book).
added by WeeklyAlibi | editWeekly Alibi, John Bear (Aug 9, 2012)

For Morgan
Aliens suck at music.

An alien advance party was suddenly nosing around my planet.
Worse, they were lawyering up. . . .

In the hilarious tradition of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Rob Reid takes you on a headlong journey through the outer reaches of the universe—and the inner workings of our absurdly dysfunctional music industry.

Low-level entertainment lawyer Nick Carter thinks it’s a prank, not an alien encounter, when a redheaded mullah and a curvaceous nun show up at his office. But Frampton and Carly are highly advanced (if bumbling) extraterrestrials. And boy, do they have news.

The entire cosmos, they tell him, has been hopelessly hooked on humanity’s music ever since “Year Zero” (1977 to us), when American pop songs first reached alien ears. This addiction has driven a vast intergalactic society to commit the biggest copyright violation since the Big Bang. The resulting fines and penalties have bankrupted the whole universe. We humans suddenly own everything—and the aliens are not amused.

Nick Carter has just been tapped to clean up this mess before things get ugly, and he’s an unlikely galaxy-hopping hero: He’s scared of heights. He’s also about to be fired. And he happens to have the same name as a Backstreet Boy. But he does know a thing or two about copyright law. And he’s packing a couple of other pencil-pushing superpowers that could come in handy.

Soon he’s on the run from a sinister parrot and a highly combustible vacuum cleaner. With Carly and Frampton as his guides, Nick now has forty-eight hours to save humanity, while hopefully wowing the hot girl who lives down the hall from him.

“Hilarious, provocative, and supersmart, Year Zero is a brilliant novel to be enjoyed in perpetuity in the known universe and in all unknown universes yet to be discovered.”—John Hodgman, resident expert, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:51 -0400)

After two aliens reveal that the whole universe is addicted to humanity's music, has committed gross copyright violations, and is murderously unhappy with the resulting fines and penalties, entertainment lawyer Nick Carter has forty-eight hours to save the planet.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible