Totally Joe by James Howe

Totally Joe (edition 2007)

by James Howe

Member:Wombat
Title:Totally Joe
Authors:James Howe
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2007), Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:fiction, middle grade, gay, M

Totally Joe by James Howe

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen (amysisson)
    amysisson: "Flipped" tells the same events from two different perspectives, with earnest and real teen POV. "Totally Joe" has only one perspective but with a creative format -- and with the other books in this series, you do get that multiple POV. Both highly recommended.… (more)

This book opens your eyes to a little boy with a very personality, and who also isn't afraid to himself. Although it may seem obvious to everyone else, it takes him most of the book to "come out" to his family, all of whom already knew. This book really spoke to me in many ways, one being when I finally came out about 8 years ago, after 20 years in the closet, my family said nothing more than "we already knew, who cares" (besides my extremely religious grandmother who insisted it was a "phase", which is also something his grandmother says to him). When I first starting reading the book I assumed that the book would be about him coming out as transgender, and although it may happen later in life (or even not at all)(which made me feel silly as a LGBT member myself), this is not what this book brings to light. This book can be a game changer for any child, not just ones struggling with their sexuality, it can help gay and straight children alike see into the eyes of a gay child who is very "out" and one (Colin) who struggles with his because of being a "guy-guy" and how the struggle affects them. It also shows them that many kids go through these feelings and they are okay and even "normal" (at least for nearly twenty percent of the world). Books like this can change bullying, homophobia, and even suicide rates amongst young gay children. Not to mention, the funny is damn adorable and really family, I laughed out loud multiple times at Joe and his sassy remarks. Well worth the read for the gay, straight and ally alike. ( )
  MeganSchneider | Mar 3, 2017 |
A great side by side covering some of the same time period as the Misfits. Joe comes across as a 12/13 year old learning about himself and life, rather than being too old. ( )
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 5, 2016 |
A lively voice for young GLBTs and those who are GLBT-friendly. Joe Bunch is almost 13 and confident in his gayness even as he is teased by the "guy-guys" at school. He has a close-knit group of friends who accept him for who he is and a supportive family (to which he hasn't yet outed himself but they're aware anyway). And his first boyfriend is Colin, a jock and closeted gay not at all comfortable in his skin as Joe is. Joe Bunch's story is good for teen lit and affirmative for readers like Joe, notwithstanding some awfully convenient plot points in Joe's favor. Oddly the book appears packaged for younger readers but the material is definitely YA. I guess one could argue it's suitable for young teens; still, it may come as an unexpected or unwelcome surprise for a reader not yet ready for this topic. Nothing graphic here; Joe still thinks kissing and "swapping saliva" is gross. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

Meet Joe Bunch, lovable misfit and celebrity wannabe from Paintbrush Falles, New York. like his longtime best friends Addie, Skeezie, and Bobby, Joe's been called names all his life. So when he's given the assignment to write his alphabiography-the story of his life from A to Z- Joe has his doubts. The whole thing could be serious ammunition for bullying if it falls into the wrong hands. But Joe discovers there's more to the assignment-and his life-than meets the eye. Especially when he gets to the letter C, which stands for Colin Briggs, the coolest guy in the seventh grade (seriously)-and Joe's secret boyfriend. By the time Joe gets to the letter Z, he's pretty much bared his soul about everything. And Joe's okay with that because he likes who he is. He's Totally Joe, and that's the best thing for him to be. here is an exuberant, funny, totally original story of one boy's coming out-and coming-of-age.

"Everybody says you and Colin were kissing."

"What? That's ridiculous!"

"For heaven's sake, Joe, if you and Colin want to kiss, you have every right to."

"We did not kiss," I told her.

Addie shrugged. "Whatever."

What was it with my friends?

From the creator of The Misfits, the book that inspired NATIONAL NO NAME-CALLING WEEK, comes the story of Joe Bunch....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:48 -0400)

As a school assignment, a thirteen-year-old boy writes an alphabiography--life from A to Z--and explores issues of friendship, family, school, and the challenges of being a gay teenager.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,774,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible