Totally Joe by James Howe

Totally Joe (edition 2007)

by James Howe

Member:Wombat
Title:Totally Joe
Authors:James Howe
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2007), Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:fiction, middle grade, gay, M

Totally Joe by James Howe

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen (amysisson)
    amysisson: "Flipped" tells the same events from two different perspectives, with earnest and real teen POV. "Totally Joe" has only one perspective but with a creative format -- and with the other books in this series, you do get that multiple POV. Both highly recommended.… (more)

Totally Joe by James Howe was probably one of my favorite books because of the humor and lightheartedness. Obviously I did not want to read the book at first because I hate to be forced to read, but after I started it (albeit late) I loved it! I love how they talk about such a real issue and make it so comfortable to talk about. I think that is how it is supposed to be. I would recommend this book to grades fifth through eight, but I think it would be a good read for anyone. Students could learn about acceptance. People are different, people will always be different and we just have to accept it and move on. ( )
  Nijania | Dec 4, 2014 |
I loved Totally Joe! Once I started to read it, I could not put it down. This book brings up a hard topic, and shows it on a lighter note for teenagers. Joe shows readers that being yourself is the best way to go. ( )
  kwolinski | Dec 3, 2014 |
Totally Joe was my favorite book I read in my Children's Literature class. The book took a very serious subject and made it feel lighter. Totally Joe showed the happiness of letting everyone know and see who you truly are. The book is about a boy,Joe, who knows he is gay and different. In the book he has a relationship with another boy is not open yet about being gay, Joe and his friends try to make their school a more accepting place. They try to end name calling as a group. The book shows the benefits of being open about who you are. As a reader I enjoyed seeing the positive side. I wish we could have discussed the book more. ( )
  marabie | Dec 3, 2014 |
Joe just wants to be himself. But boys at school constantly tease him about his demeanor and attitude. However, his friends support his every move. He learns that he must be true to himself, and that he can lean on his loved ones for support. He loves who he loves, and will not apologize for who he is. His strength and resilience will prove to be inspirational to more people than he could have even imagined. ( )
  slbenne1 | Dec 1, 2014 |
I loved how this book discussed both the positive and negative sides of coming out. I feel as if many books only talk about struggle and negativity when it comes to homosexuality, and I think that there are many positives to coming out. Joe is 12 years old and his family is supportive of his coming out. He writes about his trials, tribulations, and life events and feelings in his alpha biography. His love interest's family is not as supportive. As Joe writes his alpha biography, he realizes that it is ok and freeing to just be himself. I think that children would love this book, because it is real while being so funny. This book is more about just accepting gays, lesbians, etc.. It is about accepting everyone for who they are. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Nov 30, 2014 |

Meet Joe Bunch, lovable misfit and celebrity wannabe from Paintbrush Falles, New York. like his longtime best friends Addie, Skeezie, and Bobby, Joe's been called names all his life. So when he's given the assignment to write his alphabiography-the story of his life from A to Z- Joe has his doubts. The whole thing could be serious ammunition for bullying if it falls into the wrong hands. But Joe discovers there's more to the assignment-and his life-than meets the eye. Especially when he gets to the letter C, which stands for Colin Briggs, the coolest guy in the seventh grade (seriously)-and Joe's secret boyfriend. By the time Joe gets to the letter Z, he's pretty much bared his soul about everything. And Joe's okay with that because he likes who he is. He's Totally Joe, and that's the best thing for him to be. here is an exuberant, funny, totally original story of one boy's coming out-and coming-of-age.

"Everybody says you and Colin were kissing."

"What? That's ridiculous!"

"For heaven's sake, Joe, if you and Colin want to kiss, you have every right to."

"We did not kiss," I told her.

Addie shrugged. "Whatever."

What was it with my friends?

From the creator of The Misfits, the book that inspired NATIONAL NO NAME-CALLING WEEK, comes the story of Joe Bunch....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:38 -0400)

As a school assignment, a thirteen-year-old boy writes an alphabiography--life from A to Z--and explores issues of friendship, family, school, and the challenges of being a gay teenager.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible