Totally Joe by James Howe

Totally Joe (edition 2007)

by James Howe

Member:Wombat
Title:Totally Joe
Authors:James Howe
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2007), Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:fiction, middle grade, gay, M

Totally Joe by James Howe

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen (amysisson)
    amysisson: "Flipped" tells the same events from two different perspectives, with earnest and real teen POV. "Totally Joe" has only one perspective but with a creative format -- and with the other books in this series, you do get that multiple POV. Both highly recommended.… (more)

I love how the book is actually one of Joe's English assignments and how he puts little lessons and notes at the end of each chapter. In this book we are introduced to Joe, who is pretty much comfortable in his skin. Joe's family is accepting of his sexuality. In this book Joe starts dating his first boyfriend, Collin. Collin is not comfortable in his own skin at all and his family would freak if they knew he was attracted to boys. Collin breaks it off with Joe because people start wondering and asking about them dating, he was not ready to come out. This was one of my favorite reads this semester, there is no way to read this book and keep a straight face. The author does a fine job including stereotypes and comical description and language in this story. I would recommend this book to grades 5-8 but like we talked about in class, some parents may not approve of this book. The lesson behind the book is acceptance and I like that the author uses a topic such as sexuality to teach that lesson. ( )
  epoche | Nov 26, 2014 |
James Howe's novel is a great read for young teenagers. It will show them to understand and accept everyone for who they are. I can relate to this book because I have friends that want to come out but they do not know if everyone will accept them for who they are. I will definitely recommend this book to them and I hope it will help them. Joe is a relate able character because a lot of people feel or had feel the same way Joe has. ( )
  thnguyen | Nov 26, 2014 |
Mr. Howe does an amazing job in this story of a boy who tells the story of his life while doing a school assignment. The book is about a homosexual boy who shares details of his life, family and friends through his alpha biography. It is a very innocent book that introduces a difficult topic in an intelligent way. I loved how the story makes the reader feel connected with Joe and at the same time thankful for the supportive family he has. The book can be a bit controversial since homosexuality is not widely accepted in our society. I think it is a great book to read with older students that teaches acceptance, tolerance, and respect for people that have different interests no matter what they are. ( )
  cvarela | Nov 25, 2014 |
This would be a good for you to recommend students to read on their own. I highly suggest trying to read it as a class. But its a 13 year old boy finally being himself and living with it. Hopefully giving others the same courage to do the same. ( )
  jforrest21 | Nov 25, 2014 |
This is a book about a young boy, named Joe, who has been instructed by his teacher, Mr. Daly, to write an alphabiography. Each chapter of the book is part of Joe's alphabiography, and each chapter represents a different letter of the alphabet that relates to Joe's life, for example, F is for family, D is for dating, etc. Throughout the book, the reader learns more and more about Joe's life: his accepting family, his good friend Addie, his brother, the boy he likes, Colin, and much more. Joe is a strong and mature individual, he is truly honest in his alphabiography.
I appreciated so much reading a book about a young gay teen that makes the reader feel good while still being sincere, instead of just reading about a huge struggle. I think this book gives hope to LGBT teens, it shows them that it will be okay, it might not be perfect but you will make it through. It was also refreshing to read about a family of a gay teen that was completely supportive, they did not shame or shut Joe out.
Although there is still such a huge stigma attached to gay relationships, in particular teens, I hope that in a few years when I become a teacher that this will be something I can share with my students. ( )
  SMLawrence | Nov 25, 2014 |

Meet Joe Bunch, lovable misfit and celebrity wannabe from Paintbrush Falles, New York. like his longtime best friends Addie, Skeezie, and Bobby, Joe's been called names all his life. So when he's given the assignment to write his alphabiography-the story of his life from A to Z- Joe has his doubts. The whole thing could be serious ammunition for bullying if it falls into the wrong hands. But Joe discovers there's more to the assignment-and his life-than meets the eye. Especially when he gets to the letter C, which stands for Colin Briggs, the coolest guy in the seventh grade (seriously)-and Joe's secret boyfriend. By the time Joe gets to the letter Z, he's pretty much bared his soul about everything. And Joe's okay with that because he likes who he is. He's Totally Joe, and that's the best thing for him to be. here is an exuberant, funny, totally original story of one boy's coming out-and coming-of-age.

"Everybody says you and Colin were kissing."

"What? That's ridiculous!"

"For heaven's sake, Joe, if you and Colin want to kiss, you have every right to."

"We did not kiss," I told her.

Addie shrugged. "Whatever."

What was it with my friends?

From the creator of The Misfits, the book that inspired NATIONAL NO NAME-CALLING WEEK, comes the story of Joe Bunch....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:38 -0400)

As a school assignment, a thirteen-year-old boy writes an alphabiography--life from A to Z--and explores issues of friendship, family, school, and the challenges of being a gay teenager.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,034,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible