The Moffat Museum by Eleanor Estes

The Moffat Museum

by Eleanor Estes

Other authors: Louis Slobodkin (Illustrator)

Series: The Moffats (4)

Either I never read this as a child, or I put it out of my head. I loved the first three Moffat books and didn't want the children to grow up!! Maybe I could handle it now.
-------------------
Turns out this wasn't written (or published, at least) until I was grown, so it's not surprising I didn't read it. ?Glad I did now. ?áSo glad, I wrote an effusive blurb for the HBJ edition (the one I read from my library). ?áIn case some other librarian or staff decides it's not appr., I copy it here:

One summer, just before Joey turns 16, we see Mr. Pennypepper add the new Moffat Museum to his tour of the town's landmarks, Sylvie get married in a rose-petal shower and move away, Rufus become inspired by Madame Tussaud, Jane ride a railroad hand-car and save an old lady, a home found for a little trolley-car, Straw Hat day, and several other adventures that celebrate this last season of innocence.

A bittersweet finale to the series that has delighted generations of readers.

Ok, newcomers to the series should not start here, just because there are so many unavoidable references to previous books. ?áBut I have to confess, that bit about 'bittersweet' will probably only apply to those of us who read the first three when we were children and are only reading this after we've grown. ?áFor young readers, this is just a fun story that will read as historical fiction to them. ?á(All the fuss about knickers vs long pants, etc.)
" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
"Mama, don't sell our bike! It's valuable. Every one of us has learned to ride on it! It's like a pet!"

In ten gently humorous episodes, the Moffats learn what they can and cannot keep from their childhood. The Moffat Museum is established, and Bikey is safe. Catherine-the-cat is as crafty as ever. But Sylvie is trying on her wedding dress. . . .

Friends of the Moffat family will enjoy this reflective final book.
  hearthlit | Nov 6, 2015 |

Estes, Eleanorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Slobodkin, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tusa, TriciaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152025537, Paperback)

There has never been a museum in Cranbury...until now.
Among its treasures are the first bike each of the Moffat kids rode, stardust from a meteor that fell to earth, a beautiful painting made by Sylvie, and-most spectacularly-Rufus, the Waxworks Boy, who is as funny as he is waxy. The museum is so interesting that Mr. Pennypepper even brings tourists to visit.
But the museum is really for Jane, Joey, and Rufus themselves, so they can remember all the good times they've had. Because life is changing for the Moffats.
Yet even if Sylvie gets married, or Joey goes off to work, or Rufus grows up, one thing will never change: The Moffats are still the sort to hilariously fill even the most ordinary day with extraordinary fun.
Eleanor Estes's beloved Moffats stories are being published in new editions as Odyssey/Harcourt Young Classics. The original interior illustrations have been retained, but handsome new cover art by Tricia Tusa gives the books a fresh, timeless appeal for today's readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:24 -0400)

The adventures of the Moffat children living in Cranbury, Connecticut in the early twentieth century as they create a museum, participate in their sister's wedding, and try to buy a trolley car.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,640,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible