Going Home (Trophy Picture Books) by Eve…

Going Home (Trophy Picture Books) (edition 1998)

by Eve Bunting, David Diaz (Illustrator), Elle Bunting (Author)

Member:Coeta
Title:Going Home (Trophy Picture Books)
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:David Diaz (Illustrator), Elle Bunting (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (1998), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:hispanic, realistic fiction, Multicultural, Picture Books
Tags:mexico, immigrants, family, travel

Going Home (Trophy Picture Books) by Eve Bunting

I really enjoyed this story because of the cultural perspective it provides for children. The language in this book is clear and simple for English-speaking students to understand, but it also describes the family's Mexican culture very well. The illustrations also look similar to a lot of Spanish art, which is a strong cultural addition to the book. The plot is about a boy and his family driving to Mexico, which was once home for the family before coming to America. Even though he did not remember any of his family from Mexico, it was home to his parents. The family came to America for better opportunities for their children. All of these characters are realistic and believable, since many families make the life choice of leaving Mexico for the same reason Carlos' family did. I like how the story is written in first person by Carlos, because it is more personal and relatable for readers who are the same age as his character. The story is heartwarming from beginning to end, and encourages children to be grateful for the educational opportunities they have. It also emphasizes that home is not a geographic location, but a place where families and memories are made. Most of all, it emphasizes the sacrifices people make for their families to have a better life. There are many positive messages children can take from this story, which is why I would recommend it for any young reader. ( )
  NicoleFrankel | Sep 3, 2016 |
This is a great multicultural book to have in the classroom.
  mackenzie1992 | Feb 29, 2016 |
Its about the kids moving to mexico but they arn't happy because its not home to them. So the kids have to learn to adjust to a new country and home.
  j.mcneil | Nov 30, 2015 |
I like this book for several reasons. One reason I like this book is the language. The language used it easy to read/understand for 3rd and 4th grade students and is very detailed throughout the story. As the family is driving, you can picture everything they are seeing such as the Christmas decorations and the different towns. Another reason I like this book is the illustrations. The illustrations are realistic and fantasy all in one which can keep young children interested in the story. They are very colorful and match the text as well. The message of the story is about family and immigration. It is important for young children to realize that some parents had to leave their homes and come to America to give their family as many opportunities as they could. ( )
  lbrink2 | Apr 6, 2015 |
Overall, I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked it because it was a different perspective of culture that I had not let myself think about. I have not thought about how a child may view their parents happiness after immigration. When Carlos realizes that Mexico is his parents home and aches with the thought of "they left home for us", this shoes me that he had never thought of what his parents had given up for him. The illustrations of this book were very interesting and at times too busy for me. At the beginning of the book, it is very confusing and it takes me awhile to understand where and who the speaker is. This is crucial for a reader to connect with the story, so this confusion made me question my feelings towards the book. Overall, the message was very cute and rewarding. Carlos' parents want the best for their children and Carlos wants the best for his parents. As Carlos' parents repeat many times through out the story, the message of this book is about being "here for the opportunities" and wanting what is best for those who you love.
  achamb15 | Feb 23, 2015 |

Bunting, Eveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diaz, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Ed, who brought me to the place of opportunities. Sincere thanks to Joe Mendoza, Regional Director of Migrant Education, Region #17. -E.B.
For Cecelia, the angel on my chest. -D.D.
"We are going home, Carlos," Mama says, hugging me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064435091, Paperback)

With its remarkable illustrations and its affectionate portrait of a migrant family, Eve Bunting's latest book is a jewel. Carlos, his parents, and his sisters visit the family village in Mexico. Mama and Papa are very excited, but the kids don't know what all the fuss is about. If they really love Mexico, what could be the point of leaving for America just for "opportunities"?

As they watch their parents with the family, and sneak a peek at the two of them dancing in the moonlight to a song only they can hear, Carlos understands. "They love it here because it's home. They have left home for us." With clarity, warmth, and very few words, Bunting has explained those ever-new American dreamers to yet another generation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

Although a Mexican family comes to the United States to work as farm laborers so that their children will have opportunities, the parents still consider Mexico their home.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,668,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible