Going Home (Trophy Picture Books) by Eve…

Going Home (Trophy Picture Books) (edition 1998)

by Eve Bunting, David Diaz (Illustrator), Elle Bunting (Author)

Member:Coeta
Title:Going Home (Trophy Picture Books)
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:David Diaz (Illustrator), Elle Bunting (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (1998), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:hispanic, realistic fiction, Multicultural, Picture Books
Tags:mexico, immigrants, family, travel

Going Home by Eve Bunting

Recently added byprivate library, Merryann, tcsamaripa, eyelevelbooks, Sullywriter, RachelHarrison

This realistic fiction story tells a tale of a family that returned back to their home in Mexico to visit family. The daughters in the story were unsure about leaving America and returning to their birthplace, but once they realized how much their parents loved La Perla, they began to understand that they had made a sacrifice so that the daughters could explore the opportunities of America. The girls realized just how much their parents had done for them and they learned the significance of family.
  Emilywilson23 | Apr 7, 2015 |
I like this book for several reasons. One reason I like this book is the language. The language used it easy to read/understand for 3rd and 4th grade students and is very detailed throughout the story. As the family is driving, you can picture everything they are seeing such as the Christmas decorations and the different towns. Another reason I like this book is the illustrations. The illustrations are realistic and fantasy all in one which can keep young children interested in the story. They are very colorful and match the text as well. The message of the story is about family and immigration. It is important for young children to realize that some parents had to leave their homes and come to America to give their family as many opportunities as they could. ( )
  lbrink2 | Apr 6, 2015 |
Overall, I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked it because it was a different perspective of culture that I had not let myself think about. I have not thought about how a child may view their parents happiness after immigration. When Carlos realizes that Mexico is his parents home and aches with the thought of "they left home for us", this shoes me that he had never thought of what his parents had given up for him. The illustrations of this book were very interesting and at times too busy for me. At the beginning of the book, it is very confusing and it takes me awhile to understand where and who the speaker is. This is crucial for a reader to connect with the story, so this confusion made me question my feelings towards the book. Overall, the message was very cute and rewarding. Carlos' parents want the best for their children and Carlos wants the best for his parents. As Carlos' parents repeat many times through out the story, the message of this book is about being "here for the opportunities" and wanting what is best for those who you love.
  achamb15 | Feb 23, 2015 |
I thought that this story was very inspirational and realiatic. This book gave readers an insight into a family's struggle of wanting the oppurtunities of American, however their home is in Mexico. This family traveled to America for the job oppurtunities that it has, leaving everything behind to their home in Mexico. It was extremely tough for them, but they felt it was worth it for their family. This book was really good because it gave you a look into another way of life and also to see how blessed Americans are to have freedom and so many oppurtunities. Also the pictures in the book included real photographs of traditional items from Mexico. ( )
  evandy1 | Feb 21, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book because it offered a different perspective on the idea of "home" than the one I, and many people, usually think.
This book pushes readers to look at things through a different perspective than their own. The characters live in a culture that is not their own and do not feel at home in their own house. For most young readers, this will force them to think about what it would be like to live this new lifestyle.
For such a short book, the author was able to develop many characters deeply. Although I'm not familiar with the culture, the characters seem to express a believable portrayal of those in their situation. Something that may have helped reinforce this, is if the author used more Spanish words. She mentioned that the parents don't speak English, however whenever there was dialogue, she chose to have them speak in English. Sometimes I had to remind myself that this isn't what their conversations would actually sound like.
The message of this book is that home is where your loved ones are, not necessarily where your house is. ( )
  agaski3 | Feb 19, 2015 |

Bunting, Eveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diaz, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Ed, who brought me to the place of opportunities. Sincere thanks to Joe Mendoza, Regional Director of Migrant Education, Region #17. -E.B.
For Cecelia, the angel on my chest. -D.D.
"We are going home, Carlos," Mama says, hugging me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064435091, Paperback)

With its remarkable illustrations and its affectionate portrait of a migrant family, Eve Bunting's latest book is a jewel. Carlos, his parents, and his sisters visit the family village in Mexico. Mama and Papa are very excited, but the kids don't know what all the fuss is about. If they really love Mexico, what could be the point of leaving for America just for "opportunities"?

As they watch their parents with the family, and sneak a peek at the two of them dancing in the moonlight to a song only they can hear, Carlos understands. "They love it here because it's home. They have left home for us." With clarity, warmth, and very few words, Bunting has explained those ever-new American dreamers to yet another generation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

Although a Mexican family comes to the United States to work as farm laborers so that their children will have opportunities, the parents still consider Mexico their home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,907,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible