Going Home (Trophy Picture Books) by Eve…

Going Home (Trophy Picture Books) (edition 1998)

by Eve Bunting, David Diaz (Illustrator), Elle Bunting (Author)

Member:Coeta
Title:Going Home (Trophy Picture Books)
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:David Diaz (Illustrator), Elle Bunting (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (1998), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:hispanic, realistic fiction, Multicultural, Picture Books
Tags:mexico, immigrants, family, travel

Going Home (Trophy Picture Books) by Eve Bunting

This book is about a Mexican family who comes to the United States for new opportunities. This book is a good example of contemporary realistic fiction because many families come to the U.S. for work opportunities and to provide for their family.
  Khegge15 | Apr 3, 2017 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I like the book because of the writing. I like how the author incorporated Spanish into the dialogue because it gives the story a feeling of authenticity. For example, a character said "we have our papeles" when crossing the Mexican boarder. However, I did not like the illustrations as much. The illustrations are very unique, brightly colored drawings with vivid photographs for the background. The photography includes up-close pictures of colorful beads, jewelry, and other ceramic artwork. Even though the pages are colorful and vibrant--mirroring Latino culture-- it creates chaos around the text. The different types of artwork compete against one another and take focus away from the story. They both scream LOOK AT ME. The overall message in the book is truly heart warming. It suggests that home is defined by being surrounded by family and loved ones. The book also sheds light on the sacrifices immigrants make to create a better life for their families. ( )
  rweska1 | Mar 27, 2017 |
I thought this was a great book. I liked how Eve Bunting chose to include Spanish words throughout the book. "'Si. Papeles.' Papa speaks always in Spanish." It shows how Carlos and his siblings differ from their parents because they speak English. I also like the choices made by the illustrator. The background of each page is actually a photograph of Mexican artifacts. The illustrator then puts a drawing of what is happening in the story on top. Overall this story shows the sacrifices parents make to give greater opportunities to their children. ( )
  kchari2 | Mar 12, 2017 |
Eve Bunting’s Going Home is an enjoyable story involving a family on a trip from the United States back to a town in Mexico named La Perla where their parents used to live. Going Home provides a sense of power in identity and the importance of family through believable characters and complimenting illustrations by David Diaz.
The character development in Going Home proves to be very believable and rich in empathy. The story follows Carlos, his two sisters, and his parents as they return to La Perla for the holiday after working in the United States. The curiosity of the children on the car ride and during their visit is provides the connection to the reader. Curiosity in children is understood throughout the world and makes for believable characters, especially when the children are going to a country that only their parents know as “home.” The wonder of the children plays perfectly alongside the pride and sense of stability in the parents as they return to their old town of La Perla.
David Diaz’s illustrations compliment the story perfectly. The illustrations involve rich yellows and reds and use pictures of the family, the town, and the scenery to make allow the reader to dive further into the world Eve Bunting has created. The pictures of Carlos and his children are vivid images with southern and Latin American influences that provide an image that glorifies the world their parents come from in La Perla. The main message of the story involves the sense of Going Home involves a sense of family and belonging through Carlos and his family’s trip back to their roots. ( )
  khanes1 | Feb 18, 2017 |
Growing up and becoming assimilated with a culture, culture can often become lost. The journey of a family from the United States reminds a young child that is reminded of the special culture and home he has in Mexico. From the food, to the people, and the style of living, the boy takes in everything that has helped shape him and his family. This book is a reminder that family is formed and shaped because of our cultural background and that staying in touch is something that we appreciate and cherish. ( )
  BrianRatliff | Feb 15, 2017 |

Bunting, Eveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diaz, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Ed, who brought me to the place of opportunities. Sincere thanks to Joe Mendoza, Regional Director of Migrant Education, Region #17. -E.B.
For Cecelia, the angel on my chest. -D.D.
"We are going home, Carlos," Mama says, hugging me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064435091, Paperback)

With its remarkable illustrations and its affectionate portrait of a migrant family, Eve Bunting's latest book is a jewel. Carlos, his parents, and his sisters visit the family village in Mexico. Mama and Papa are very excited, but the kids don't know what all the fuss is about. If they really love Mexico, what could be the point of leaving for America just for "opportunities"?

As they watch their parents with the family, and sneak a peek at the two of them dancing in the moonlight to a song only they can hear, Carlos understands. "They love it here because it's home. They have left home for us." With clarity, warmth, and very few words, Bunting has explained those ever-new American dreamers to yet another generation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

Although a Mexican family comes to the United States to work as farm laborers so that their children will have opportunities, the parents still consider Mexico their home.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible