Going Home (Trophy Picture Books) by Eve…

Going Home (Trophy Picture Books) (edition 1998)

by Eve Bunting, David Diaz (Illustrator), Elle Bunting (Author)

Member:Coeta
Title:Going Home (Trophy Picture Books)
Authors:Eve Bunting
Other authors:David Diaz (Illustrator), Elle Bunting (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (1998), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:hispanic, realistic fiction, Multicultural, Picture Books
Tags:mexico, immigrants, family, travel

Going Home by Eve Bunting

I really enjoyed reading this book for a few reasons. First, the main language in the book is English, although there are a few Spanish words used throughout the story such as papeles and mijo. Despite the fact that there are Spanish words integrated within the story, the language is quite clear with the help of the characters. For example, after Papa uses the Spanish word papeles, the English translation “papers” is used by his daughter. I also enjoyed the characters of this story because they were authentic and relatable. I was able to correlate my feelings to those of the characters in the story as they crossed the border into Mexico, as I had similar feelings as a child when I too crossed the Mexican border. The plot was also enjoyable, as it was especially suspenseful. Once hearing the magical stories told by Papa of the beautiful land, the girls are constantly asking if they have arrived in La Perla yet. This consistent questioning helps to increase the suspense of the story. Finally, my favorite reason as to why I enjoyed this book was due to the illustrations. The style fits the written text and the colors are extremely bright and festive throughout the entire story. The pictures of the clothing for example, illustrate the rich culture of the community. The big idea of the story is for the young girls to return to Mexico, the home in which they were born, and experience the new cultures in which they are not familiar with. ( )
  kbrehm1 | Feb 21, 2014 |
“Going Home” gave insight on the struggles that immigrant families have to go through and everything immigrant parents give up so their children can have a better life. Mama and Papa loved their home in La Perla but moved to the United States and have to do manual labor each day so that their children could get a better education and thus a better future. This book also shows the differences between generations of immigrant families. To Carlos and his sisters, La Perla does not feel like home to him because he has lived in the United States most of his life. He does not really remember his Grandfather or Aunt. However, his parents consider La Perla their true home and are so much happier to be there with their entire family. Carlos and his family had to leave behind everything and their true home in order to have better opportunities. It allows children who are not from immigrant families to have a better understanding of what immigrants have to go through and help them to have more respect for them. ( )
  kholec1 | Oct 10, 2013 |
This story of a family that returns home to their native Mexico for a family visit is a reminder of the sacrifice that parents make for their children to have a better life than they did. The whole theme seems to be appreciation of our family. The illustrations are unusual and nicely done. I enjoyed the story and the message. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Genre: Realistic Fiction. The setting, Mexico, and characters, Mexicans, are all believable. The book mentions concerns that are believable concerns from an immigrant family.
Setting: The story is set in a village in Mexico where the family is visiting relatives for Christmas. It is because the family visits Mexico that the children think about how the parents feel about their home.
Media: Paint ( )
  ariellamendez | Apr 16, 2013 |
"Going Home" is a beautiful portrayal of a family's sadness of having to move from Mexico to the U.S, and the realization that while you may have to do things in life that make you unhappy, if it is important to the people you love, it is worth it. ( )
  nholbrook | Feb 26, 2013 |

Bunting, Eveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diaz, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Ed, who brought me to the place of opportunities. Sincere thanks to Joe Mendoza, Regional Director of Migrant Education, Region #17. -E.B.
For Cecelia, the angel on my chest. -D.D.
"We are going home, Carlos," Mama says, hugging me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064435091, Paperback)

With its remarkable illustrations and its affectionate portrait of a migrant family, Eve Bunting's latest book is a jewel. Carlos, his parents, and his sisters visit the family village in Mexico. Mama and Papa are very excited, but the kids don't know what all the fuss is about. If they really love Mexico, what could be the point of leaving for America just for "opportunities"?

As they watch their parents with the family, and sneak a peek at the two of them dancing in the moonlight to a song only they can hear, Carlos understands. "They love it here because it's home. They have left home for us." With clarity, warmth, and very few words, Bunting has explained those ever-new American dreamers to yet another generation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:55 -0400)

Although a Mexican family comes to the United States to work as farm laborers so that their children will have opportunities, the parents still consider Mexico their home.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible