Worlds by Joe Haldeman

Worlds (original 1981; edition 1992)

by Joe Haldeman

Series: Worlds (1)

Towards the end of the twenty-first century 41 Worlds, small satellites with a total population of half a million, orbit the Earth, which has seen many changes, not least of which is a second revolution in America. Marianne O¿Hara, a brilliant political sciences student, is from New New York, a hollowed out asteroid and the largest of the Worlds, but is to spend a year on Earth as a postgraduate student. Because the political relationship between the Worlds and Earth is complex and voltatile, Marianne unwittingly finds herself caught up with a group of fanatics determined on a third revolution in America - even if such a revolution could lead to the destruction of the Earth...… (more)
Member:raak
Title:Worlds
Authors:Joe Haldeman
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (1992), Paperback

Worlds by Joe Haldeman (1981)

I was given a free galley of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Worlds is an interesting take on a possible future. With great characters and a rather dystopian slant on future Earth and humanity, it spins a good yarn. It does justice to the psychic trauma being involved in a catastrophe can create. While I do not necessarily agree with the dystopian view, I did appreciate the worlds Joe Haldeman created. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
In 2084, sexually promiscuous college student Marianne O’Hara leaves her off-world colony of New New York (one of many known as the Worlds) to attend university in New York City on Earth, where she meets a Bohemian poet and artist named Benny and an FBI agent named Jeff Hawkings.

Marianne and Benny become entangled with an anti-government group that seem at first innocuous—until one of their members is murdered and Benny finds his apartment bugged. As their suspicions about the organization grow and their safety is jeopardized, Benny decides to inform the FBI about the group then move to a remote farm in South Carolina after assuming a new identity. Meanwhile, Marianne takes several months to tour the world with some of her classmates from New York University including Jeff Hawkings.

Upon returning to New York, Marianne is attacked and nearly raped. As tensions build between the Earth and the Worlds over trade agreements, Marianne and Jeff arrange to leave Earth for New New York—but not before she visits New Orleans. While there, Marianne is persuaded to audition for a jazz band as a clarinet player. She soon becomes famous on the local scene—resulting in her abduction by a wealthy businessman who demands ransom from New New York.

How will Marianne escape from her kidnappers and what will happen as negotiations between Earth and the Worlds disintegrate into threats?

Worlds is considered a classic SF novel and while I enjoyed several chapters at the beginning and end, the story suffered from a sagging middle. Marianne’s globetrotting was told in the form of diary entries and much of it was tedious. There was little character development during these chapters aside from the budding romance between Marianne and Jeff and her fleeting concern for Benny back home. ( )
  pgiunta | Oct 13, 2018 |
Wildly inconsistent. Some of the best genre fiction as writing that I've read in years combined with some of the worst. ( )
1 vote g026r | Dec 29, 2010 |
Haldeman looks into the future & sees many splinter cultures moving into artificial satellites around the Earth. Our civilization is further splintered by colonies on the moon & other celestial bodies. Earth isn't in great shape & we're given a tour by our heroine from one of the splinter colonies.Lots of action & adventure while exploring how our civilization has changed in a century (published in 1981 & the story takes place in 2084). Maybe he bit off a bit bigger bite than he should have. It drags in places & he goes a little wild in others, so as much as I enjoyed it, it really isn't a top notch book. Not like [b:The Forever War|21611|The Forever War|Joe Haldeman|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167322714s/21611.jpg|423] or [b:All My Sins Remembered|362801|All My Sins Remembered (Gollancz SF S.)|Joe Haldeman|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1174107744s/362801.jpg|1851650]. Still, it's better than the average SF book & his civilization is a credible, scary look at the future. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |

Holzrichter, BerndTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, Peter A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabaté, HernánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallejo, BorisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
you shall above all things be glad and young
For if you’re young,whatever life you wear

it will become you;and if you are glad
whatever’s living will yourself become.
Girlboys may nothing more than boygirls need:
i can entirely her only love

whose any mystery makes every man’s
flesh put space on;and his mind take off time

that you should ever think,may god forbid
and(in his mercy)your true lover spare:
for that way knowledge lies,the foetal grave
called progress,and negation’s dead undoom.

I’d rather learn from one bird how to sing
than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance

—e. e. cummings
This is for Kirby, finally.
You can't know space unless you were born there.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,770,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible