The Cestus Deception by Steven Barnes

In this novel that takes place during the Clone Wars, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jedi Kit Fisto are sent by Chancellor Palpatine to the planet Cestus to stop their production of new droid technology that can be used against the Republic and is specifically designed to kill Jedi. Once they get to the planet they are enwrapped in web of deceit, political wrangling, and corporate espionageThere are dark forces at play that Kenobi can't detect and later comes to find in the form of Sith apprentice Asaj Ventriss.

There was a lot to like in this novel. There were certainly many action and fight sequences to maintain my interest. There were also numerous plot turns. One of the things I especially enjoyed was the humanization of the Clones. Often they are portrayed as collective units with no really personality. They are just vehicles for the plot. But in this case, the Clone Jangotet develops a relationship with female pilot Sheeka Tull. He experiences a great deal of change in the story, and it maintained a pleasant side story to the main action. The conclusion was fiery. In all, this was a good novel for Star Wars enthusiasts.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Nov 3, 2013 |
Not my favorite. Features the Jedi (including Obi Wan) deceiving the citizens of Ord Cestus. ( )
  psalm134_2 | Mar 13, 2012 |
This was my first full novel dealing with the Star Wars universe and since then I have read a few others but this is my favorite book so far. Fallowing the exploits of Obi-Wan Kenobi and fellow Jedi, Kit Fisto as they try to stop the production of a seemingly deadly new type of droid. The book also has a side story from the perspective of a clone trooper named Jangotat which I found quite interesting.

From the characters to the world around them everything was described with great detail. The action scenes are well written and fluid. As I said part of the story comes from the perspective of a clone trooper. I enjoyed his part in the story and found that it really gave me the feel of what it was to be a clone trooper fighting for the Grand Army of the Republic and struggling to maintain your identity amid thousands of beings that sound and look just like you, a nice addition to an already good story.

I enjoyed this book and I give it two thumbs up. ( )
  Anduril85 | Aug 4, 2008 |
Palpatine is trying to force a deal with Ord Cestus and asks the Jedi to use violence to enforce the unwilling world. Obi Wan must try to negotiate between the two factions and between his beliefs and orders.
  sara_k | Oct 6, 2007 |
I really enjoyed this book. I thought at first I would have trouble following the political stuff but it was easy to follow which made me happy. I usually don't understand or like politics. Anyways, you find out who is deceiving who easliy and it moves fast which is good. You find out everyone is lieing to everyone for their own well being. I felt bad for Regent Duris after Obi-Wan decieved her and she had no one to trust. And poor Obi-Wan felt guilty and ashamed about it. He was the only one who felt guilty (since he's the only one with a conscience) but it comes out all right in the end.
I don't know why they put Dooku on the cover. He's not in the story. Ventress should have been. This was the first time I ever read about her and got to know her character. She seemed like a character you love to hate.
Kit Fisto was cool and had some wit I liked him.
My favorite part was A-98 "Nate" (Jangotat) and Sheeka Tull's story. I didn't think a clone was capable of such enlightment. I loved the part when she took him to the place in the caves with the dashta eels. That part was so sad when he realized he was never loved and probably never will, and was never held my his mother; that he was "built" for war and if the war ended what would he do?
His goodbye speach hologram to her before he dies was so sad. She made him realize he was more than a soilder and he wished he could have had a future with her after his duty was over.
When she speaks to Obi-Wan she feels guilty for "waking him up" right before he lost his life. Then this part that makes me think maybe Obi-Wan has been inlove. He tells Sheeka that people are not really in control of their hearts and it can be lonley. Then she asks "have you ever?" and he answers "YEs" but didn't get into it. So now I am all curious about that... (This was before I looked into the Jedi Apprentice books and found out about Siri)
Also Jangotat's conversation with Obi-Wan about making your own choices was intersting esp. when Obi-Wan says that even though he was raised in the Jedi Temple and on the path to become a Jedi, it was his choice to become a Jedi because he knew it was his destiny. ( )
2 vote StephanieC | Oct 17, 2006 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345458982, Mass Market Paperback)

Ord Cestus, a planet mostly barren and inhospitable to life, was first colonized as a prison world—until a handful of hardy pioneers discovered its rich ore deposits and managed to build up a successful droid-manufacturing industry. But when the Clone Wars erupted, bringing severe rationing of imported resources and a Republic ban on the production of battle droids, Ord Cestus was threatened with imminent economic collapse.

Enter the Confederacy of Independent Systems—the Separatists—with a life-saving offer to purchase a generous quantity of the planet’s most lucrative export: bio-droids. Possessed of tactical capabilities that rival the fighting abilities of even the most advanced Jedi, these sophisticated, techno-organic hybrid units would prove a most formidable weapon if ever deployed for military use. And now the Confederacy’s intention to invest in what amounts to an army of bio-droids has sent ripples of alarm through the highest echelons of the Republic government.

Determined to halt the bio-droid sale—but fearing a show of force will result in a political backlash—Supreme Chancellor Palpatine dispatches a team of envoys, led by Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. Their mission: persuade Ord Cestus’s government to abandon its dealings with the Confederacy . . . while secretly stirring up revolution among the planet’s struggling underclass. Diplomacy is paramount. But if all else fails, the Republic will not hesitate to launch a full-scale attack—and wipe out not only the means of bio-droid production, but countless lives as well, to demonstrate the consequences of disloyalty.

For Obi-Wan, the prospect of such wholesale slaughter only serves to fuel his growing suspicions about the sinister path the Republic seems to be taking. But the brash Jedi Master Kit Fisto and the detachment of clone soldiers assigned to the mission are ready and willing to do the Supreme Chancellor’s bidding. As the leaders of Ord Cestus refuse to capitulate and Palpatine rapidly loses patience, Obi-Wan’s hopes of a peaceful resolution are dwindling. Now, facing a crisis of conscience, Obi-Wan must find the wisdom and strength to prevent a bloodbath and safeguard the Republic— while abiding by the ancient code to which he has pledged his life.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:56 -0400)

Jedi master, Obi-Wan Kenobi goes to the planet Ord in order to persuade the manufacturer not to export the powerful battle droids to the Confederacy, but discovers that he is not the only one pursuing them.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,732,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible