You Can Buy Happiness (and it's Cheap) : how…

You Can Buy Happiness (and it's Cheap) : how one woman radically… (edition 2012)

by Tammy Strobel (Author)

Member:tjsjohanna
Title:You Can Buy Happiness (and it's Cheap) : how one woman radically simplified her life and how you can too
Authors:Tammy Strobel (Author)
Info:Novato, Calif. : New World Library, c2012.
Collections:Read but unowned, Non-Fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:g:memoir, minimalism, tiny house, relationships

You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too by Tammy Strobel

This was a quick, informative read. If you follow simplicity blogs or have read books on simplifying your life, there isn't a whole lot of new information introduced in this title. However, Ms. Strobel's stories are entertaining and it was fun to read how she personally simplified her lifestyle. ( )
1 vote librarianolivia | Nov 28, 2012 |
I enjoyed the tone of this book - "here's what worked for me and here's some baby steps you can take if this sounds like a lifestyle for you". Although the book isn't long and is divided logically, I felt like there was a lot of repetition - that the same ideas were presented again and again. There were some interesting personal stories and Ms. Strobel makes a great case for downsizing stuff in order to enjoy the things that really matter. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Nov 6, 2012 |
This book details Tammy Strobel's transformation from materialistic to simplification, as well as some advice on how the reader can do it, too. I'm intrigued by the "tiny house" movement (living in a house roughly under 500 square feet, with many being less than 200 feet), and I have been ever since I read the book "Twelve by Twelve." I don't think it's for me, for one reason: I love owning books and having my own personal library. I would rather go without electricity or running water than giving up my books (seriously...I've thought about this). But, I do think that it's a good idea to "scale down," whatever that means to an individual. If that means going from a 2000 square foot home to a 1200 square foot home, I think that's just as laudable (and, apparently, so does the author). Not everyone can live in a micro-home, but we can all do something to get off of the never-ending "more more more more more" ride on which corporate America wants us to spend our lives. ( )
  schatzi | Oct 25, 2012 |

While the new field of happiness research makes headlines, and the 99% face austerity at every turn, blogs like The Art of Nonconformity, Zen Habits, and Miss Minimalist attract millions looking to find more happiness, community, and fulfillment in less stuff, less debt, and less wage-chasing. Tammy Strobel and her husband are living the voluntary downsizing - or smart-sizing - dream and here she combines research on well-being with numerous real world examples to offer practical inspiration. Her fresh take on our things, our work, and our relationships spell out micro-actions that anyone can take to step off the getting-and-spending treadmill and into a life that's more conscious and connected, sustainable and sustaining, heartfelt and happy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,635,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible