Path of Beasts (Keepers) by Lian Tanner

Path of Beasts (Keepers)

by Lian Tanner

A strong conclusion to the series. Goldie and her friends return to Jewel for a final confrontation with the Fugelman/Harrow, but in the end it is up to Goldie, carrying the memory of Princess Freesia inside her, to walk the beast road and save her city.
  LibraryGirl11 | Jul 20, 2014 |
We return to the adventures of Goldie and Toadspit in this final installment of the series, which picks up right where we left them in City of Lies. The children return to Jewel after their harrowing escape from the kidnappers in Spoke to find that their enemy the Fugleman has taken over the city with his Blessed Guardians and an army of mercenaries.

It's showdown time now, and the Keepers will have to devise a plan to protect the Museum of Dunt and the people of Jewel. The Fugleman, however, has brought in a giant cannon, and is bent on taking over the city and destroying everything Goldie holds dear. To make things worse, Goldie had not escaped from Spoke entirely unscathed; after the effects of "The Big Lie", she holds in her head the personality and thoughts of a long-dead warrior princess. Day by day, Princess Frisia's presence grows stronger, threatening to take over Goldie's life.

And so, my journey with the Keepers Trilogy draws to a close, and with it, probably my last opportunity to enjoy Claudia Black's wonderful narrating work for a while. Looks like she's got a handful of other audiobooks under her belt, but I also hope she'll do more in the future; with her voice and talent, I think she would be perfect for urban fantasy.

As for the book itself, it hurts me a little to say this, but I wasn't as happy with it as I'd expected. It wasn't that the story was bad or that it didn't provide us with a satisfying ending to the trilogy. I just find myself viewing this book with an almost frustrating ambivalence, because I even now I'm trying to think of something--anything, good or bad, it doesn't matter--to say about this book and I'm struggling.

It almost makes no sense for me to feel this way; after all, the story was great -- the heroes overcome their trials and tribulations, honor prevails, everyone comes together in the end to save the city, and the bad guy is defeated while the good triumph, all that good stuff. It's a children's series after all, you know you'll get a happy ending and nothing's gonna come out of left field at you.

And maybe that's what it is. Not that I have an issue with books for youngsters having happy endings, but the fact I pretty much knew everything was going to work out in the end. Which is perfectly fine; like I said, it's how things should be, but I personally prefer more a little more uncertainty in my plot lines which is likely the main reason why I don't usually pick up books targeted for middle-grade.

But on the whole, these have been really great books. I probably enjoyed them even more because I listened to them all on audio, but I certainly don't regret my time with this trilogy one bit. ( )
  stefferoo | Jun 20, 2013 |
Goldie and Toadspit have returned to Jewel, but there they find a city at war -- the Fugleman, the Blessed Guardians, and a troop of mercenaries menace the city. Not only are Goldie and Toadspit merely two children facing down an army, but the Museum of Thieves is also being threatened, and if it is destroyed, plague and war will completely engulf Jewel. Their only hope may be the mysterious Beast Road, from which nobody has returned in living memory.

I found this a strong conclusion to an enjoyable series. In particular, I liked the character development of several secondary characters, such as the captain of the mercenaries, and Pounce. As with the first two books, the audiobook narration was excellent and contributed to my enjoyment of the story. Readers who have enjoyed the first two books in this series will certainly not want to miss this one. ( )
  foggidawn | May 30, 2013 |

Spunky twelve-year-old Goldie, Toadspit, and the other children face up to Fugleman, his band of Blessed Guardians, and an army of mercenaries who have captured the city of Jewel.

Lian Tanner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

7 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible