Flutter by Gina Linko

Flutter

by Gina Linko

487242,697 (3)None

Young adult, fiction, fathers, near-death experience, seizures, future, time travel, teen
  826NYC | Jul 9, 2014 |
What a sweet story. It was a bit difficult to get into at the beginning, but by the midpoint I was fully invested in the characters. I think it had the potential to be even more amazing, but as it is, I still really enjoyed it. I will keep an eye out for more from [a:Gina Linko|684067|Gina Linko|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1329704078p2/684067.jpg] in the future. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
This is a very hard review to form. There was so much about Flutter that I loved, yet all of it is dashed by the ending. I promise no spoilers, no matter how hard they are to avoid!

Linko has a beautiful writing style. The story had at times an almost otherworldly tone to it that I felt really built up the looping and the daze that Emery's life has become. The concept was awesome. That Emery is looping to another place or time was such an interesting idea. I loved that this wasn't an easy ability. By that I mean it wasn't something she just did with no consequences or notice. Her looping caused extended seizures which were causing her organs to shut down. She was dying and people around her were attempting to place a scientific explanation on it.

The main characters are very well developed. Emery and Asher are complex people and each have their own secrets. While Emery struggles to trust Asher, he is driven by guilt to protect her and everyone else. Their romance builds slowly and it progressed naturally. That said I felt that the 'villians' in the story felt one dimensional. Oh, there were hints that maybe there was something more about them, but in the end they are simply bad guys doing bad things.

So with an amazing concept, beautiful writing, and great characters, why didn't I love it? Two words. The ending.

I stayed up until one in the morning reading Flutter, anxious to find out what happens and when I got to the last few pages I just felt let down. I wanted an explanation. I wanted a real conclusion to the story lines and closure to relationships. I got none of that.

I've been going back and forth on my rating. I rated it a 3 at first, but I'm leaning more to a 4. The longer I think about it the more I realize that if I hadn't truly enjoyed the writing and story, I wouldn't have felt so let down by the ending. ( )
  AngelaFristoe | Aug 18, 2013 |
This book was another case of me expecting one thing and getting something else entirely.

Emery Land has spent several years living in a hospital because of the “loops”. To everyone else it appears that Emery is having a seizure, but Emery actually travels to other dimensions when she loops. Sometimes she travels to the past, other times to a fantasy world, and other times to a farm where the same little boy always appears. Sick of living in a hospital where her doctor father constantly runs tests on her, Emery escapes with the help of a friend and hides out in a place called Esperanza. It’s there that she meets the mysterious boy named Ash — a boy that seems strangely familiar. A boy that may be able to help her piece together the mysterious clues she’s picked up from the loops.

As I mentioned before, this book wasn’t what I was expecting. I thought it would be more about traditional time-travel and a little more sci-fi. What I got was more reminiscent of The Time Traveler’s Wife (which just so happens to be one of my most favorite books ever.)

Ms. Linko does a great job of turning the old time-travel theme on its side and making it her own. Every time Emery “looped” I was fascinated, and found myself searching for clues that may help her during her journey. I really felt for Emery. I didn’t blame her at all when she escaped the hospital, and I thought her relationship with Ash was sweet. Emery is very sick, and Ash has no problem taking care of her. I found Ash to be likable, but there wasn’t much that really made him stand out amongst other male leads in other novels. Still, he’s not a bad character.

Ms. Linko writes well, and the story flows fairly well, though I felt like there were times the pacing could have been faster. Once the pieces begin to fall into place, the book really picked up for me, and though I guessed what was really happening with Emery about midway through the book, I still enjoyed the ride. The ending was definitely bittersweet. It didn’t floor me as was the obvious intent, but it was effective.

All in all Flutter is an enjoyable read, and more of a romance than an action packed time travel novel. Still, it’s worth checking out. ( )
  booktwirps | Oct 19, 2012 |
I think Ms. Linko wrote a winner in Flutter. I am immediately drawn to the main character Emery. I like books with medical issues and also books with supernatural elements and this managed to take those two things and fuse them into something awesome.
We get to see right away that while it looks like a seizure from the outside her "condition" goes so much further than that. She is trying to convince scientist Dad that she loops through time, knowing things she couldn't possibly from the past and seeing parallel futures.
I loved getting to know Ash, the love interest. He is so mysterious and I can't help but wonder how he connects to the loops and what he is hiding. I love the moments of tenderness between the two, as well as the build up with their relationship.
Ms. Linko worked all of the plot elements together wonderfully and I really enjoyed reading how everything pieced together. Things that seem totally unrelated actually are moving the plot ahead and have significance.
The ending is nowhere what I expected, and at first, I was even unhappy with it. But the more I think about it, I like it more and more. It really is fitting and where the story was building up to with the small clues (and some not so small) could really be the most poetic and what the characters were meant for.
  brandileigh2003 | Oct 12, 2012 |

All Emery Land wants is to be like any other 17-year-old—to go to school, hang out with her friends, and just be normal.  But for as long as she can remember, she's suffered from seizures. And in recent years they've consumed her life. To Emery they're much more than seizures, she calls them loops—moments when she travels through wormholes back and forth in time and to a mysterious town. The loops are taking their toll on her physically. So she practically lives in the hospital where her scientist father and an ever-growing team of doctors monitor her every move. They're extremely interested in the data they collect when Emery seizes. It appears that she's tapping into parts of the brain typically left untouched by normal human beings.

Escaping from the hospital, Emery travels to Esperanza, the town from her loops on the upper peninsula of Michigan, where she meets Asher Clarke. Ash's life is governed by his single-minded pursuit of performing good Samaritan acts to atone for the death of a loved one. His journey is very much entwined with Emery's loops.

Drawn together they must unravel their complicated connection before it's too late.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:55 -0400)

"Although doctors want to treat 17-year-old Emery Land for the seizures that define her life, she runs away from the hospital in the hopes of uncovering the secret behind her "loops"--the moments during her seizures when she travels to different places and moments in time" --… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,460,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible