La Malédiction des pharaons by…

La Malédiction des pharaons (edition 1998)

by Elizabeth Peters

Member:TwistedMentat
Title:La Malédiction des pharaons
Authors:Elizabeth Peters
Info:Le Livre de Poche (1998), Poche, 380 pages
Rating:*
Tags:mystery, amelia peabody, historical fiction, ancient egypt

The Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters

English (60)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (62)
???1/2

Amelia Peabody Emerson and her husband, Radcliffe, leave their precocious son, Ramses behind with his loving aunt and uncle in order to finish an excavation for the late Lord Baskerville in Egypt. After four years living a quiet, domestic life, Emerson and Peabody are in their element, although they do miss little Ramses. Naturally, things are not all they originally appear to be, and as one person after another turns up dead even Emerson has to admit that Lord Baskerville was most likely murdered. One clue leads to another and the only way to be sure they found out who the culprit was is to read or listen to this yourself.

This was better than the first, as Ramses is a delightful addition, and Amelia and Radcliffe are more fun now that they are married. I can only hope that eventually Ramses will get to be in more of the stories and that he stays as funny as ever.
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
The Curse Of The Pharaohs, by Elizabeth Peters
★★★★★ and a ♥

Synopsis: Victorian gentlewoman Amelia Peabody Emerson does not relish the joys of home and hearth. For while she and her husband, the renowned archaeologist Radcliffe Emerson, dutifully go about raising their young son, Ramses, Amelia dreams only of the dust and detritus of ancient civilizations. Providentially, a damsel in distress--coupled with a promising archeological site--demands their immediate presence in Egypt. The damsel is Lady Baskerville, and the site is a tomb in Luxor recently discovered by Sir Henry Baskerville, who promptly died under bizarre circumstances. Amelia and Radcliffe arrive to find the camp in disarray, terrified workers, an eccentric group of guests...and a persistent rumor of a ghost on the grounds. Now the indomitable Amelia must battle evil forces determined to stand between her and her beloved antiquities--and make her foray into the truth a most deadly affair...
In A Sentence: an excellent and even comical reread!
My Thoughts: Due to a lack of availability of audiobooks I intended to read, I've reverted back to some old favorites of mine. I first read this back when I was in middle school (I think), and I loved it! I still love it, in fact. This book combines mystery, adventure, history, and even a little romance in a dashing and humorous way. You can't help but fall in love with Radcliffe Emerson and his antics, as well as with Amelia with her British eccentricities. They make such an odd and hilarious couple that you want to keep reading about them over and over again.
I thought the detective/mystery aspect of the novel was more developed than it's predecessor. Plus, Emerson and Amelia working as team is more fun to read about than their antagonistic courtship. In addition, you get a introduction to their son Ramses, whose antics are so much fun to read about.
Overall, this series is a lot of fun, and it gets better with each book you read. I think the series starts to deteriorate towards the end, but the first 7 books or so are really enjoyable. I will definitely keep going with this series on audiobook, as I continue on my epic quest of apartment spring cleaning and reorganizing. ( )
  Spirolim | Jan 13, 2016 |
I enjoyed the book, but I'm not quite sure why. The dig was not remarkable. There were so many characters, it was difficult to keep the "who's who" list up-to-date. Even the corpses began to pile up! Yet, I like Peabody and Emerson--and I look forward to the next installment when the precocious Ramses will join the quest. ( )
  kaulsu | Apr 7, 2015 |
This second book in the series is not my favorite. Amelia's son Ramses is far from likeable. Amelia came across as less competent and more deluded that she *is* a superwoman. The opening of the book went slowly, but the final chapters became page turners, redeeming the book. And one must remember that with Elizabeth Peters, "not my favorite" is still pretty darn good. Time to move to the next book: The Mummy Case. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Mar 7, 2015 |
unknown
  Bruno_Estigarribia | Mar 31, 2014 |
To Phyllis Whitney
The events I am about to relate began on a December afternoon, when I had invited Lady Harold Carrington and certain of her friends to tea.
This book has the SAME tittle as one written in 1975 by Philip Vandenberg.
--------------
They should not be combined.

Amelia Peabody and Radcliffe Emerson, heroic survivors of Crocodile on the Sandbank, are called back to Egypt by Lady Basekrville to complete the excavation of a recently discovered tomb. The dig had been left unfinished by her newly dead - an possibly murdered - husband, Lord Baskerville.
The locals say this particular tomb is cursed.
More and more of the native workers die in inexplicable accidents. Everyone - except Amelia and Radcliffe - holds the curese responsible. When Lord Baskerville's missing heir reveals himself to Amelia, she begins to piece together the mystery surrounding the tomb and Lord Baserkville's death.
Racing to uncover the truth, she and Radcliffe find Lady Baskerville more concerned with the contents of the tomb than with catching her husband's killer. Is there a flesh and blood murderer loose, or is it.

The witty, indefatigable Amelia Peabody--now married to the woman-hating archaeologist Radcliffe Emerson--eludes the villains and solves three murders in this adventure set among the archaeological digs in the Valley of the Kings.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,113,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible