La Malédiction des pharaons by…

La Malédiction des pharaons (edition 1998)

by Elizabeth Peters

Member:TwistedMentat
Title:La Malédiction des pharaons
Authors:Elizabeth Peters
Info:Le Livre de Poche (1998), Poche, 380 pages
Rating:*
Tags:mystery, amelia peabody, historical fiction, ancient egypt

The Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters

English (62)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (64)
So far, this series has been nothing but fun. Apparently, there are over fifteen books in the Amelia Peabody series. If you aren't familiar with them, they focus on Amelia, her husband Radcliffe Emerson (who is acquired in the first book), and their many adventures solving mysteries in Egypt in the late 1800's. The combination of Egyptian settings and the British language and fashions of the times add to the charm of these books, at least in my opinion. The books have just the right balance of mystery, humor, and romance... nothing graphic. The dialogue between Emerson and Amelia is always entertaining.

The synopsis for Curse of the Pharaohs from Barnes and Noble:
It's 1892, and Amelia and Emerson, who is now her husband, are back in England raising their young son Ramses, when they are approached by a damsel in distress. Lady Baskerville's husband, Sir Henry, has died after uncovering what may have been royal tomb in Luxor. Amid rumors of a curse haunting all those involved with the dig, Amelia and Emerson proceed to Egypt and begin to suspect that Sir Henry did not die a natural death. The accidents plaguing the dig appear to be caused by a sinister human element, not a pharaoh's curse.
One of the best-loved of mystery writers weaves another tale of intrigue featuring Amelia Peabody and Radcliffe of Crocodile on the Sandbank. This time the willful and witty duo must catch a murderer at an excavation of an ancient Egyptian tomb.
There were a plethora of characters in this book. I especially loved Madame Berengeria and her eccentric behavior. I would cringe whenever she entered the scene with her ridiculous Egyptian garb. I again had several theories about who the real criminal was but there were a couple of twists that had me rethinking my hunches. I was satisfied with how the book wrapped up. I am going to continue the series but I won't review every one of them since I'm sure they will all be very similar. If you like the Mary Russell mysteries by Laurie R. King, you will enjoy these as well.
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
The second in Elizabeth Peters' Egyptian mystery series. I read the first
one, The Crocodile on the Sandbank, in December, and while it wasn't my
favorite book ever, I liked it well enough to pick up the next one.
While I was disappointed by the first one ending in having Amelia, the
smart, independent Victorian heroine married and knocked up, I was
DELIGHTED that this one opens with her being rather overwhelmed and
unenthused by motherhood, not fitting into Ladies' Society at all, and
ready to leave the kid with someone else for an extended period and go
back to archaeology. Which, with her husband, she does.
Hired by a wealthy widow whose Egyptologist husband is rumored to have
been done in by a sinister ancient curse, Amelia's husband expects to
finish a momentuous excavation - but when more violence and disappearances
occur, it's time for more detective work than archaeology.
Peters is an Egyptologist herself, and it really shows in these books,
which is a big plus. However, the mysteries themselves, I'm finding, are
just a little bit too typical of the genre. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
???1/2

Amelia Peabody Emerson and her husband, Radcliffe, leave their precocious son, Ramses behind with his loving aunt and uncle in order to finish an excavation for the late Lord Baskerville in Egypt. After four years living a quiet, domestic life, Emerson and Peabody are in their element, although they do miss little Ramses. Naturally, things are not all they originally appear to be, and as one person after another turns up dead even Emerson has to admit that Lord Baskerville was most likely murdered. One clue leads to another and the only way to be sure they found out who the culprit was is to read or listen to this yourself.

This was better than the first, as Ramses is a delightful addition, and Amelia and Radcliffe are more fun now that they are married. I can only hope that eventually Ramses will get to be in more of the stories and that he stays as funny as ever.
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
The Curse Of The Pharaohs, by Elizabeth Peters
★★★★★ and a ♥

Synopsis: Victorian gentlewoman Amelia Peabody Emerson does not relish the joys of home and hearth. For while she and her husband, the renowned archaeologist Radcliffe Emerson, dutifully go about raising their young son, Ramses, Amelia dreams only of the dust and detritus of ancient civilizations. Providentially, a damsel in distress--coupled with a promising archeological site--demands their immediate presence in Egypt. The damsel is Lady Baskerville, and the site is a tomb in Luxor recently discovered by Sir Henry Baskerville, who promptly died under bizarre circumstances. Amelia and Radcliffe arrive to find the camp in disarray, terrified workers, an eccentric group of guests...and a persistent rumor of a ghost on the grounds. Now the indomitable Amelia must battle evil forces determined to stand between her and her beloved antiquities--and make her foray into the truth a most deadly affair...
In A Sentence: an excellent and even comical reread!
My Thoughts: Due to a lack of availability of audiobooks I intended to read, I've reverted back to some old favorites of mine. I first read this back when I was in middle school (I think), and I loved it! I still love it, in fact. This book combines mystery, adventure, history, and even a little romance in a dashing and humorous way. You can't help but fall in love with Radcliffe Emerson and his antics, as well as with Amelia with her British eccentricities. They make such an odd and hilarious couple that you want to keep reading about them over and over again.
I thought the detective/mystery aspect of the novel was more developed than it's predecessor. Plus, Emerson and Amelia working as team is more fun to read about than their antagonistic courtship. In addition, you get a introduction to their son Ramses, whose antics are so much fun to read about.
Overall, this series is a lot of fun, and it gets better with each book you read. I think the series starts to deteriorate towards the end, but the first 7 books or so are really enjoyable. I will definitely keep going with this series on audiobook, as I continue on my epic quest of apartment spring cleaning and reorganizing. ( )
  Spirolim | Jan 13, 2016 |
I enjoyed the book, but I'm not quite sure why. The dig was not remarkable. There were so many characters, it was difficult to keep the "who's who" list up-to-date. Even the corpses began to pile up! Yet, I like Peabody and Emerson--and I look forward to the next installment when the precocious Ramses will join the quest. ( )
  kaulsu | Apr 7, 2015 |
To Phyllis Whitney
The events I am about to relate began on a December afternoon, when I had invited Lady Harold Carrington and certain of her friends to tea.
This book has the SAME tittle as one written in 1975 by Philip Vandenberg.
--------------
They should not be combined.

The witty, indefatigable Amelia Peabody--now married to the woman-hating archaeologist Radcliffe Emerson--eludes the villains and solves three murders in this adventure set among the archaeological digs in the Valley of the Kings.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,901,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible