La Malédiction des pharaons by…

La Malédiction des pharaons (edition 1998)

by Elizabeth Peters

Member:TwistedMentat
Title:La Malédiction des pharaons
Authors:Elizabeth Peters
Info:Le Livre de Poche (1998), Poche, 380 pages
Rating:*
Tags:mystery, amelia peabody, historical fiction, ancient egypt

The Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters

Recently added byEmpressReece, Richard54, Chris.ty, acbtanya, private library, MelindaKucsera

English (65)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (67)
I enjoyed this story also almost as much as previous book. Im not sure though if Im going to like how Peters has set the time intervals of each book to like 5 years. I would have preferred that the books started where they left off or at most a year interval in between instead of 5 . Now Amelia and Emerson have already had kids, moved, left Egypt etc. etc. I guess will see in the next books....maybe ill change my mind. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
This second Amelia Peabody mystery is about the redoubtable Amelia,a Victorian lady archaeologist who with her husband is excavating a tomb on behalf of a lady whose husband has been murdered.Lots of murders,but a rather slight tale,though good humoured and charming.We come to these books for the cute if tempestuous relationship between Amelia and Radcliffe,her husband.I find it irresistible to imagine Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz in the roles as in the film The Mummy! lol.A light,pleasant read.Looking forward to the next,where their son,Walter,aka Ramses,a child genius with all his parents cleverness and temper combined, is to join them in Egypt! ( )
  dustydigger | Jun 24, 2016 |
The Curse of the Pharaohs
4 Stars

Amelia and Emerson return to Egypt at the behest of Lady Baskerville to continue the work of her late husband, Sir Henry, who died under suspicious circumstances. As Emerson revels in the archeology of the site, Amelia becomes immersed in investigating Sir Henry’s death as she is convinced he was murdered.

This is a such an entertaining series. Amelia and Emerson are now a married couple, but their hilarious bickering is ever present and little Ramses, whose shenanigans prove without a doubt who his parents are, only adds to the fun.

The mystery isn’t exactly riveting, but the plethora of suspects and motives makes following the clues and trying to figure it out all the more engaging. It is a sign of Peters’ excellent plotting skills that she managed to keep me guessing right up until the end and even though my suspicions were ultimately proven correct, it was never 100% sure.

Susan O'Malley's narration is enjoyable, although her Texan and Irish accents could do with some work. Looking forward to continuing with Amelia and Emerson’s excursions to Egypt in the next installment. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
So far, this series has been nothing but fun. Apparently, there are over fifteen books in the Amelia Peabody series. If you aren't familiar with them, they focus on Amelia, her husband Radcliffe Emerson (who is acquired in the first book), and their many adventures solving mysteries in Egypt in the late 1800's. The combination of Egyptian settings and the British language and fashions of the times add to the charm of these books, at least in my opinion. The books have just the right balance of mystery, humor, and romance... nothing graphic. The dialogue between Emerson and Amelia is always entertaining.

The synopsis for Curse of the Pharaohs from Barnes and Noble:
It's 1892, and Amelia and Emerson, who is now her husband, are back in England raising their young son Ramses, when they are approached by a damsel in distress. Lady Baskerville's husband, Sir Henry, has died after uncovering what may have been royal tomb in Luxor. Amid rumors of a curse haunting all those involved with the dig, Amelia and Emerson proceed to Egypt and begin to suspect that Sir Henry did not die a natural death. The accidents plaguing the dig appear to be caused by a sinister human element, not a pharaoh's curse.
One of the best-loved of mystery writers weaves another tale of intrigue featuring Amelia Peabody and Radcliffe of Crocodile on the Sandbank. This time the willful and witty duo must catch a murderer at an excavation of an ancient Egyptian tomb.
There were a plethora of characters in this book. I especially loved Madame Berengeria and her eccentric behavior. I would cringe whenever she entered the scene with her ridiculous Egyptian garb. I again had several theories about who the real criminal was but there were a couple of twists that had me rethinking my hunches. I was satisfied with how the book wrapped up. I am going to continue the series but I won't review every one of them since I'm sure they will all be very similar. If you like the Mary Russell mysteries by Laurie R. King, you will enjoy these as well.
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
The second in Elizabeth Peters' Egyptian mystery series. I read the first
one, The Crocodile on the Sandbank, in December, and while it wasn't my
favorite book ever, I liked it well enough to pick up the next one.
While I was disappointed by the first one ending in having Amelia, the
smart, independent Victorian heroine married and knocked up, I was
DELIGHTED that this one opens with her being rather overwhelmed and
unenthused by motherhood, not fitting into Ladies' Society at all, and
ready to leave the kid with someone else for an extended period and go
back to archaeology. Which, with her husband, she does.
Hired by a wealthy widow whose Egyptologist husband is rumored to have
been done in by a sinister ancient curse, Amelia's husband expects to
finish a momentuous excavation - but when more violence and disappearances
occur, it's time for more detective work than archaeology.
Peters is an Egyptologist herself, and it really shows in these books,
which is a big plus. However, the mysteries themselves, I'm finding, are
just a little bit too typical of the genre. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
To Phyllis Whitney
The events I am about to relate began on a December afternoon, when I had invited Lady Harold Carrington and certain of her friends to tea.
This book has the SAME tittle as one written in 1975 by Philip Vandenberg.
--------------
They should not be combined.

The witty, indefatigable Amelia Peabody--now married to the woman-hating archaeologist Radcliffe Emerson--eludes the villains and solves three murders in this adventure set among the archaeological digs in the Valley of the Kings.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,322,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible