Scandalous!: 50 Shocking Events You Should…

by Hallie Fryd

172587,099 (4)None
Member:clpteensnewbooks
Title:Scandalous!: 50 Shocking Events You Should Know About (So You Can Impress Your Friends)
Authors:Hallie Fryd
Info:Zest Books (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:carnegie library of pittsburgh, ya, teen, non-fiction, media scandals, 20th century, history, united states, anecdotes

Scandalous!: 50 Shocking Events You Should Know About (So You Can Impress Your Friends) by Hallie Fryd

This book has intrigue, deception, fallen heroes, and secrets revealed. There are 50 shocking events you should know about.

Inside the book each event has A Picture, The Scoop, What Went Down, The Players, Quotable, The Aftermath, Why We Still Care, More.

I want to give you one that I found interesting, Bad Boy Rock Star Jerry Lee Lewis Marries His Underage Cousin (1958).

The Scoop!
Jerry Lee Lewis was one of the hottest rock 'n' roll stars in the 1950's, but when English tabloids found out he married his 13-year-old cousin, his rep quickly went down the tubes.

Quotable
"I can assure you that my wife is all woman, even through she looks kinda young."
Jerry Lee Lewis trying to convince the crowd of reporters at Heathrow Airport in 1958 that Myra was old enough to be his wife.

Why We Still Care
The scandal shined a spotlight on underage marriage. Age-of-consent laws for marriage vary from state to state, and in the 1950's it was perfectly legal to get married at 13 in some states. Today, both people must be at least 18 or get the permission of a parent or judge in most US states. Though Lewis and Myra's marriage didn't directly change any laws, it brought attention to the issue of underage marriage.
People still wonder if we missed out on some great music. Even through many thought it was gross that Lewis married his 13-year-old cousin, his fans-and music critics-have often stated that the world of music suffered by shutting Lewis down right when he was really starting to cook.

Whether you are a teen or an adult - it is really a great book and I highly recommend it. I was given this book from Zest Books www.zestbooks.net ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Jan 19, 2013 |
I'm always interested in the teen nonfiction that Zest Books produces. It's usually interesting, different, a little quirky. This book has the potential to be a popular browsing read for teens, but some major issues as well.

Exactly as the title says, it's 50 scandals spread over the past hundred years. Each scandal has a headline, date, and brief summary "the scoop" and a list of the principal characters involved, "the players." A page or two of more details, "what went down" gives more information. Each section also has a captioned photo, a couple quotes, what happened to the people involved afterwards, how the scandal affected history and culture, and similar scandals.

The scandals are a diverse group beginning in 1906 with a murder and ending in 2000 with the Bush/Gore election. Scandals include:

Upton Sinclair's exposure of meat-packing plants
The murder accusation of silent film star "Fatty" Arbuckle
Lindbergh kidnapping
Rosenberg's trial and execution
Jerry Lee Lewis' underage marriage scandal
Kent State shooting
Tuskegee Syphilis Study
Jonestown Massacre
Madonna's Blond Ambition tour
Rodney King and the race riots
Bill Clinton sex scandal
As a matter of personal interest, I knew 30 of them! The writing style is racy, the information is divided into bite-size bits, and there's a good mixture of history, politics, celebrities, and mysteries all mixed in together. I received this title as part of my Junior Library Guild's standing order for my teen section in the popular picks for older teens.

So, what's not to like? Well...the complete lack of any kind of sources to start with. It was also a bit jarring to see scandals that I lived through, that people still argue about, presented in a couple of pages with a "this is how it was and this is how people see it now" attitude, which is a bit one-sided. Also, the typo on page 12. And the typo on page 23. And on page 44. And page 54. And page 68. Oh, and the grammatical error on page 81. The error on page 107 is a quote, so it could be the quote that's wrong, but it's a punctuation error so...at that point I stopped counting. I kept flipping to the back of the book to see if I had accidentally been shipped a galley. I checked a couple other reviews and apparently there are some factual errors as well, which I missed.

Verdict: It was a great idea and teens are probably unlikely to notice the errors, but I can't believe they didn't at least run a grammar check, which would have caught some of the obvious typos! If they amend it, it's a great book. Otherwise, I would only purchase it if you want an example of poor proofreading. I'd send it back, but it's already cataloged.

ISBN: 9780982732205; Published February 2012 by Zest Books; Borrowed from the library; Purchased through Junior Library Guild standing orders for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Apr 22, 2012 |

Teens will get the dish on:

Milli Vanilli’s lip-syncing

the Clinton-Lewinsky affair

the Biggie and Tupac murders

the Kent State shooting

the OJ Simpson Murder trial

Patty Hearst’s kidnapping

And more!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:39 -0400)

"Do you love a good scandal? This book includes 50 juicy pop culture, political, and entertainment-related scandals complete with photos, event synopses, and a look at why it went down in history and how it continues to influence us today. Other features include famous quotes and a section on where the players are now."--from publisher's description… (more)

Zest Books

An edition of this book was published by Zest Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible