A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His…

A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets (original 2012; edition 2012)

by James Bowen (Author)

When London street musician James Bowen found an injured cat curled up in the hallway of his apartment building, he had no idea how much his life was about to change.
Member:NickPoff
Title:A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
Authors:James Bowen (Author)
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2012), 320 pages

A Street Cat Named Bob: And How He Saved My Life by James Bowen (2012)

Recently added byrafaelsc, StaffPicks, BookHound95, gshaupert, private library, Lin456, AudreyYo, jazvall

English (56)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Russian (1)  All languages (63)
What a delightful book! I am a crazy cat lady, and this story really captured my heart. James' life was changed because of this amazing ginger cat who at times seems almost human. This is a story of love and redemption, courage and perseverance. I loved it! ( )
  Mokihana | Nov 21, 2019 |
Review to come. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
I have a problem with the flat writing of a seemingly banal event that is supposed to represent metaphors for more significant things that are happening in our lives. Either way, I managed to finish the book and even liked the story but unfortunately, nothing more. ( )
  AvrahamDavid | Apr 24, 2019 |
James Bowen was a somewhat lost young man whose circumstances had led him to the wrong places. When he entered the rehabilitation program for young people at risk and got his little apartment in North London, all he wanted to do was get rid of drugs and support himself as a street performer at Covent Garden.
But then a red-haired red cat settled in his stairway. The cat looked sick and wounded, and James treated him and intended to release him back into the street when he recovered. But the cat, who in the meantime had the name Bob, had other plans. One day he just followed James to Covent Garden and sat down in his guitar case, and since then they've been together.

It's the kind of book that sounds like a conversation with someone who wrote it. It's not high literature or anything, but the story of James and Bob merely is captivating. The most surprising thing about what happened to James was that thanks to the cat, people suddenly began to see him in a different light.
Think about it for a moment. I don't know if it's more exciting or more embarrassing, but he describes how once Bob started to accompany him, his income from playing doubled, people began to stop by him and talk to him.
At one point James discovered that some of his YouTube videos and Bob's, taken by tourists, had turned them into stars. Things described in the book and some more can also be seen on their YouTube channel. ( )
1 vote bookloverreview | Feb 15, 2019 |
Loved this book. It was inspiring to see how a pet was able to assist James with turning his life around. It also gave me a real insight into the life of the homeless or working poor. I never realized some of the things they go through. I already read the second book, but appreciated this one so much more. James Bowen was living on the streets addicted to heroin when he decided he wanted to clean up his life. Living in assisted living and on methadone, he is busking in Covent Gardens to cover his expenses. Finding and injured cat in his apartment building, he decides to nurse him back to health, then let him go back to the streets. The cat has other ideas. Once he has someone or something else to take care of, he decides to clean up even further and get off methadone. Who saved who in this story. A beautiful read. ( )
1 vote Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |

Quintano, Kristina (Oversetter)Overs.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
RIVELINE, AnathTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Eeden, EdTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bryn Fox... and anyone who has lost a friend
There's a famous quote I read somewhere.
"Street Cat Bob" is an abridgment of "A Street Cat Named Bob." Please do not combine.

Street Cat Bob is an abridgement of A street cat named Bob commissioned for the Quick reads series.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,786,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible