A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen

A Street Cat Named Bob (original 2012; edition 2012)

by James Bowen

Member:Soupdragon
Title:A Street Cat Named Bob
Authors:James Bowen
Info:Hodder Paperbacks (2012), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:memoir, cats, addiction, London, read with Joe, 2012 read

A street cat named Bob by James Bowen (2012)

Recently added byLondonistLibrary, private library, ccooney, Tri-C, DAMEMAR, Jjean7, maggie1944, tina1969, travelair

English (22)  German (2)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (26)
James lived on the streets and was a recovering drug addict. When trying to get his life on track and living in a shelted housing he meets Bob the cat and both their lives will change for the better.

I don't normally like biographies as I don't want to read a narrative that rambles on, so I gave this book a shot purely because it's the reading group.

What a surprise I got with this book. The book was very easy to read and I found I was ploughing through it quite quickly. As soon as James began his story I was hooked and wanted to find out what was going to happen to both James and Bob.

I can totally relate to what James tells us about Bob as I am a cat lover myself and over the years have had several cats. All my own have now gone but I do care for two stray kittens that live in my garden. Cats have a habit of being where they want to be and they find you rather than you find them.

The story is very heartwarming, sad at times and makes you think. I also learnt a lot from James's story about selling the Big Issue and didn't realise how complex that could be.

What I didn't want was a sad ending and it's no spolier as there are plenty of videos on You Tube of Bob and further books of his adventures.

Not sure if I would read anymore of the series of books but I did enjoy this book as its a charming tale of hope and very heartwarming. ( )
  tina1969 | Mar 21, 2015 |
The book was a lovely quick read. The relationship between Bob and James is very special, and it was good to read something that had a happy ending. ( )
  sriemann | Aug 14, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book - it is a hopeful book even though some of the situations are not so. As a lifelong cat lover and owner, I could identify with James' love and companionship with Bob and his fear when he was missing or threatened. I've yet to meet a cat that will ride on your shoulder though - that is very unusual.
Have ordered the sequel to read. ( )
  infjsarah | Jun 28, 2014 |
This is a story about one man, his cat, and their continuing friendship....

James Bowen's A Street Cat Named Bob and How He Saved My Life is a feel good, wonderful, and cute book without being cringeworthy mushy. In fact, I'm afraid if Hollywood options it for a movie, it would be just horrendously cutesy-wutesy, lacking any substance. The gist is Bowen is a recovering heroin addict earning a meager living as a busker, in the U.S. a street performer, in London.

Returning home one night, he finds an injured ginger tomcat outside his flat. Growing up with cats, he decides to take it in and nurse it back health. Bowen tries to keep himself distant from the cat, as it is a stray and could leave at any time, but he winds up getting attached to the little fella. He keeps it and names him Bob after the killer from the 90's TV show, Twin Peaks.

One day, Bob joins Bowen while he busks and draws a big crowd and the money begins to roll in. Life is good but soon he and Bob start getting threats from the locals. Bowen decides he is finally going to take the steps to improve his life for good. He's slowly going to taper off the methadone and get himself a proper job working for Big Issue Magazine, a homeless assistance program. Bowen realizes that not only he has t accept responsibility for himself but for Bob too.

I absolutely loved this book! It's the perfect read for the approaching holidays. I am so glad that I saw this book in my local bookstore and I asked for it at my local library. Bowen's writing is very straightforward. He accepts responsibilty for how his life went off the rails. It was ugly and describes his follies unflinchingly.

Bowen shows the restorative power of pets. They can sense your mood and can help you. If you show them respect, they'll show you respect. Bob is such a smart cat and I love how Bowen describes Bob as his tether to the real world as he was going through his methadone withdrawal. Bob was his saviour; the kick in the butt he needed to permanently get on the road to recovery. I loved it!! ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book. It is written in an accessible style, and is extremely uplifting. ( )
  Holly_85 | Mar 16, 2014 |
To Bryn Fox... and anyone who has lost a friend
There's a famous quote I read somewhere.

When London street musician James Bowen found an injured cat curled up in the hallway of his apartment building, he had no idea how much his life was about to change.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,245,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible