A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen

A Street Cat Named Bob (original 2012; edition 2012)

by James Bowen

Member:Carole888
Title:A Street Cat Named Bob
Authors:James Bowen
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2012), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:London, cat, street-life, memoir, drug addiction, friendship, bookcrossed

A Street Cat Named Bob: And How He Saved My Life by James Bowen (2012)

The World According to Bob: The Further Adventures of One Man and His Streetwise Cat by James Bowen (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Read the first book, A Street Cat Named Bob, first.
    Dewey, the library cat by Vicki Myron (bookel)
    Stuart: A Life Backwards by Alexander Masters (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Two tales of the modern British underclass. "Street Cat" is uplifting, while "Stuart" is not.
    The Cat Who Went to Paris by Peter Gethers (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Another extremely personable cat who travels with his owner
    Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat by David Dosa (Girlsmiley)

English (44)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Russian (1)  All (50)
The heartwarming true tale of a British street musician & recovering addict who spends all his money to help an injured stray cat, only to discover that the cat may save his life in return.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 10, 2017 |
Bob is a real sweetheart and it is clear that the author needed someone like Bob in his life. This book is heartwarming although not weighty. It is a simple story of one person's relationship with a special pet, and it brings home the message that we humans usually receive way more than we give to our furry friends. ( )
  glade1 | Feb 8, 2017 |
I found A Street Cat named Bob to be an absolutely delightful book, it’s an open, honest book that is almost conversationalist in it’s writing it was an easy read that feels like you’re sitting having a coffee with a dear friend sharing their story with you.

A street Cat Named Bob is about a man and a cat that had helped each other to grow. After finding a sickly street cat James a former homeless drug addict turns his life around in leaps and bounds finding motivation to better his life in the form of a unique cat, Bob brings companionship and responsibility to James’s life making him want to be a better person so that he can give this wonderful heart capturing cat a better life.
This book also gives insight into the hurdles that drug addiction, homelessness and the way in which street performers are often treated it’s quite an interesting perspective and at no time does James portray any of his struggles as ‘woe is me’ he is honest on how his life became what it did and he took responsibility for his actions.

Overall I would encourage everyone to give this book a go, I am not a fan of true stories as a rule but very much enjoyed this book. ( )
  Arabbitinwonderland | Feb 1, 2017 |
A cat with character.

I discovered this as an in-flight audiobook on a recent long-haul trip, and passed a few happy hours with James Bowen and his loyal cat. I'm only sorry that it must have been abridged, as the full length audiobook is 6 hours in total and it was considerably less than that. I do have it as an e book so I hope to make up the missing chapters at some point in the future.
However, on the assumption that I got the best bits, this was a great listen, not just for the story of James and Bob, but also for the insights into the struggle of life on the streets, trying to make a living as a busker and later as a Big Issue seller.

When we meet them, James has just been allocated a flat in sheltered accommodation, and he spots a sick looking cat on the doorstep of a neighbour. After checking with the neighbour that it isn't his cat, he takes it in to feed and care for it. He used the very last of his money visiting the vet and buying food and antibiotics for the cat, but karma was certainly watching out for him because he found himself earning three times as much with Bob at his side.
Even though James tried to let Bob go back into the wild, Bob had other ideas and has since travelled round London on James's shoulder.

James Bowen has at least eight books out, for both adults and children, and his author bio says that he now dedicates his time to helping numerous charities that involve homelessness, literacy and animal welfare.
There are several videos on You Tube about him, plus a film recently released. ( )
  DubaiReader | Jan 18, 2017 |
I first heard of James and Bob when a friend shared a video clip on Facebook. I thought no more about the clip until another friend shared about the upcoming movie, A Street Cat named Bob. This tweaked a memory and I went back through Facebook posts to find the clip. I spent the next hour searching through YouTube videos, completely enthralled with the story of James and Bob. The next logical step was to search the library database, and within a couple of days I had a copy of the book in my hands.

It's been many years since I read a book as lighthearted and heartwarming as this book. I read it was a silly grin on my face, totally identify with James and Bob, and of course wishing them well.

An inspiring story of addiction, recovery, hope and inspiration. I highly recommend this book! ( )
1 vote junepearl | Jan 1, 2017 |

Quintano, Kristina (Oversetter)Overs.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
RIVELINE, AnathTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Eeden, EdTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bryn Fox... and anyone who has lost a friend
There's a famous quote I read somewhere.
"Street Cat Bob" is an abridgment of "A Street Cat Named Bob." Please do not combine.

When London street musician James Bowen found an injured cat curled up in the hallway of his apartment building, he had no idea how much his life was about to change.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,225,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible