A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen

A Street Cat Named Bob (original 2012; edition 2012)

by James Bowen

Member:Carole888
Title:A Street Cat Named Bob
Authors:James Bowen
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2012), Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:London, cat, street-life, memoir, drug addiction, friendship, bookcrossed

A street cat named Bob by James Bowen (2012)

English (25)  German (2)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
Loved this book. It was inspiring to see how a pet was able to assist James with turning his life around. It also gave me a real insight into the life of the homeless or working poor. I never realized some of the things they go through. I already read the second book, but appreciated this one so much more. James Bowen was living on the streets addicted to heroin when he decided he wanted to clean up his life. Living in assisted living and on methadone, he is busking in Covent Gardens to cover his expenses. Finding and injured cat in his apartment building, he decides to nurse him back to health, then let him go back to the streets. The cat has other ideas. Once he has someone or something else to take care of, he decides to clean up even further and get off methadone. Who saved who in this story. A beautiful read. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Aug 18, 2015 |
You have to love Bob and admire James Bowen. This is a touching story about how a guy down on his luck meets a cat that changes his life. James was on the road to getting off drugs and because of this focus of taking care of Bob, he really makes it work. I just found out he wrote more books and I want to read those. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jun 19, 2015 |
Only a heartless, soulless, insufferable dolt would not be profoundly moved by this heartwarming story of a stray cat who transforms the life of a man down on his luck. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
James lived on the streets and was a recovering drug addict. When trying to get his life on track and living in a shelted housing he meets Bob the cat and both their lives will change for the better.

I don't normally like biographies as I don't want to read a narrative that rambles on, so I gave this book a shot purely because it's the reading group.

What a surprise I got with this book. The book was very easy to read and I found I was ploughing through it quite quickly. As soon as James began his story I was hooked and wanted to find out what was going to happen to both James and Bob.

I can totally relate to what James tells us about Bob as I am a cat lover myself and over the years have had several cats. All my own have now gone but I do care for two stray kittens that live in my garden. Cats have a habit of being where they want to be and they find you rather than you find them.

The story is very heartwarming, sad at times and makes you think. I also learnt a lot from James's story about selling the Big Issue and didn't realise how complex that could be.

What I didn't want was a sad ending and it's no spolier as there are plenty of videos on You Tube of Bob and further books of his adventures.

Not sure if I would read anymore of the series of books but I did enjoy this book as its a charming tale of hope and very heartwarming. ( )
  tina1969 | Mar 21, 2015 |
The book was a lovely quick read. The relationship between Bob and James is very special, and it was good to read something that had a happy ending. ( )
  sriemann | Aug 14, 2014 |
To Bryn Fox... and anyone who has lost a friend
There's a famous quote I read somewhere.

When London street musician James Bowen found an injured cat curled up in the hallway of his apartment building, he had no idea how much his life was about to change.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,111,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible