The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur…

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1902)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

10,817229397 (3.92)3 / 449
When a second member of the Baskerville family dies, Sherlock Holmes investigates and finds murderous greed behind the supposed curse.
My TBR (14)

English (211)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Czech (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (229)
Sherlock Holmes mystery taking place in England, told by his accomplice, Dr. Watson. It has a rather slow beginning, but the end makes up for it with suspense and action. ( )
  niquetteb | Sep 4, 2019 |
An interview with Sherlock Holmes on his return from Baskerville Hall

Vexed Journalist: Mr Holmes, where is Dr Watson?
Sherlock Holmes: Almost certainly where he mostly spends his days: in his club. Is this important?

VJ: Certainly. Our readers are quite fond of him. Are you not?
SH: Indeed I am. Dear Watson!

VJ: Have you any personal objection to Dr Watson?
SH: None at all. He’s a dear. Tremendously dense, of course. But an excellent errand boy.

VJ: How did you happen to make his acquaintance?
SH: Is Doctor Watson strictly necessary to this interview?

VJ: Obviously not. Enlighten us, then, about the Hound of the Baskervilles.
SH: A most fascinating canine specimen. Big, black, demonic, spectral, with a fine record of killing Baskervilles for centuries. A remarkable beast indeed.

VJ: Would you care to enlarge on the supernatural dimensions of the case?
SH: If you leave out the prefix “super”, I might be delighted to.

VJ: Surely the macabre atmosphere in the country was not without influence?
SH: I have always found it that a concentrated atmosphere, especially under the influence of shag tobacco and strong coffee, facilitates concentration of thought.

VJ: Is it true that the Devonshire moors make Miss Bronte’s Yorkshire counterpart look positively cheerful?
SH: I don’t recall a Miss Bronte among the five hundred cases of capital importance which I have handled. But all moors are very much alike, my good man. Quite charming if you are of pastoral persuasion. I much prefer London myself.

VJ: Is it true that the gruesome Grimpen Mire swallows all living things that venture on it?
SH: You ought to ask Watson about that. It is the sort of macabre silliness he is inordinately fond of.

VJ: Tell us more about the case you encountered in Baskerville Hall.
SH: One of the hardest cases in my spectacular career, with many threads to unravel, vast amounts of surmise and conjecture to uncover the few facts, and a foeman worthy of my steel. The vulgar might call it “Gothic”.

VJ: You presume to call our readers “vulgar”?
SH: I presume nothing.

VJ: What about the escaped Notting Hill murderer and The Case of the Missing Boots at the same time?
SH: Compelling cases of inestimable scientific importance.

VJ: What about the suspects, that sinister butler and that bunch of zany neighbours, a naturalist with sister complex, a most meddlesome legal freak and a good doctor who seems just a little too good?
SH: Excellent examples of the unexpected complexity of human nature.

VJ: Has Sir Henry Baskerville succumbed to the dreadful family curse?
SH: I am not at liberty to divulge that information.

VJ: Is there anything of any consequence you are at liberty to divulge for the benefit of our readers?
SH: I’m afraid not. You ought to ask Mr Conan Doyle. He’s currently writing a detailed report on the Baskerville Case. I expect it will make a most entertaining read.

VJ: Who the dickens is Conan Doyle?
SH: My PR agent.

VJ: PR agent? Is this some English language from the future?
SH: Possibly. I cannot say I consider myself limited by the present.

VJ: One last question. Forgetting the present for a moment, what is your opinion of the sleuths of the future?
SH: Some will be more humorous, some more hard-boiled (this is modern but not futuristic), and some perhaps even slightly more perceptive than me. But none will ever surpass my modest self in the Art of Deduction (please mind the capitals).

VJ: Rather obvious, is it?
SH: My deal fellow, the world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. ( )
  Waldstein | Aug 1, 2019 |
This is a classic novelette. Interestingly, although it came out some ten years after Watson had been married off in The Sign of the Four, Holmes and Watson appear to be sharing bachelor digs in this one. The story involves the moors of Devon, with a convict on the loose, his having escaped from Dartmoor. There's a legend about a hound of hell, loose on the moors and a character is found frightened to death with a giant hound paw print near where he fell. Lots of running around in a mire full of quick sand, lots of fog, lots of ancient ruins, lots of misdirection (some in this review), some young women who weren't treated properly, and so forth. If you're a fan of Sherlock Holmes, you've doubtless already read this one. If not, you should probably begin at the beginning (A Study in Scarlet), at which point you'll have read two novelettes and two volumes of short stories before you get here. Eventually, however, you will indeed get here, after which, you'll never again feel safe going out at night. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 21, 2019 |
Classic Sherlock Holmes at his finest. A great story with thrills along the way. I've read and seen the movie versions of this story multiple times, but I still enjoy reading this over and over again. The story never gets old. ( )
  jguidry | Mar 12, 2019 |

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet; The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Celebrated Cases of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes - Edição Completa: Romances e Contos by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Valley of Fear by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Return of Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Children's Classic Compendium: Hound of the Baskervilles / White Fang / Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume 2 by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Complete Sherlock Holmes and The Complete Tales Of Terror and Mystery by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Later Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes. Tom 1 by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Hound of the Baskervilles: with "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" (Broadview Editions) by Arthur Conan Doyle

British Mystery Megapack Volume 5 - The Sherlock Holmes Collection: 4 Novels and 43 Short Stories + Extras by Arthur Conan Doyle

Classic Illustrated Sherlock Holmes: Thirty Seven Short Stories Plus a Complete Novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Estudio en escarlata ; El signo de los cuatro ; El sabueso de los Baskerville ; Memorias de Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Audio Collection by Arthur Conan Doyle

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a teacher's guide

This story owes its inception to my friend, Mr Fletcher Robinson, who has helped me both in the general plot and in the local details
Mr. Sherlock Holmes, who was usually very late in the mornings, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.
A long, low moan, indescribably sad, swept over the moor. It filled the whole air, and yet it was impossible to say whence it came. From a dull murmur it swelled into a deep roar, and then sank back into a melancholy, throbbing murmur once again. Stapleton looked at me with a curious expression in his face.

"Queer place, the moor!" said he.
This is the main work for The Hound of the Baskervilles. Please do not combine it with any abridgement, adaptation, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

In one of the greatest mystery thrillers ever written, Sherlock Homes unravels the case of the Hound of the Baskervilles. Holmes and his companion Dr. Watson travel to the wilds of Dartmoor, England, to discover the truth behind the death of Sir Charles Baskerville. Did he die of natural causes? Or could he have fallen victim to the family curse, a ghostly hound? This abridgment for younger readers captures the atmosphere of fear and unease that pervades the novel like the fog over the moor. It also conveys the fascinating character and the humorous eccentricities of Sherlock Holmes, the world's greatest detective. Fact-filled columns and pages explore the background to the story, the history of detection, the life of the author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and the lasting influence of his great creation, Sherlock Holmes.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528018, 014043786X, 0141034327, 0141195223, 0241952875, 0141199172

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102650, 1400108977, 1400115159

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175021, 190917503X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible