The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur…

The Hound of the Baskervilles (original 1902; edition 2011)

by Arthur Conan Doyle

8,852206340 (3.9)3 / 362
Member:nick334
Title:The Hound of the Baskervilles
Authors:Arthur Conan Doyle
Info:Penguin (2011), Edition: Re-issue, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1902)

English (189)  Spanish (4)  Czech (2)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (206)
"The shape of some monstrous villainy, half seen, half guessed, loomed through the darkness…" (pg. 127)

Whilst, insofar as I have read, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle never wrote a bad Sherlock Holmes story, it is now clear to me why The Hound of the Baskervilles is regarded as his best. If you want a more diverse taste of this literary and cultural phenomenon then go for The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, but it is Baskervilles which shows that, contrary to many thriller and mystery and crime writers, Conan Doyle could write.

In Baskervilles, Conan Doyle presents a more gripping and atmospheric mystery than in any of his other stories. There are many creepy goings-on and the author exploits the brooding landscape of the Devonshire moors to the full. The artful prosing is beautiful at times and the author's themes are as alternately concealing and revealing as the foggy moors themselves. Baskervilles is where Conan Doyle elevated his most popular literary creation to the realm of art.

Even so, he does not forget the usual spirit of a Sherlock Holmes adventure, with blackguard villainy, gentlemanly clients, distressed ladies, silly disguises and that quaintly singular Victorian dialogue all present and accounted for. The Hound of the Baskervilles is the quintessential Sherlock Holmes story because it stands astride that often jealously-guarded boundary between the populist and the literary. It is the one story that shows us why this literary creation remains so phenomenally popular and interesting, and not just for collectors of fairy-tales.
  MikeFutcher | Jun 3, 2016 |
Review: The Hound of The Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle. The Sherlock Holmes stories have always interested me. This one was another one of his stories that could not be avoided.

As I read the story I never got any hints or clues to what the story was unfolding as I read. The mystery of the story was always one step ahead of me. I could assume different ways the story was headed but Old Sherlock always held me back form being right on some level.

I assumed it was a tale of an over-size dog, a huge hound or sheep-dog hiding in the moor’s surrounding the estate of the ancient Baskervilles, which only had revenge for the Baskerville’s master’s? Was it just a tale past on through the generations of this family? Could a hound-dog hold contempt of his own for this family or could there be an intellectual human behind the whole tale or truth, and for what reason? Read this recommended book and get the answers to what is behind one of Conan Doyle’s suspenseful mystery’s.

After I read the book was an Afterword written by Anne Perry which gave options, clues and hints about the novel. I was surprised their were so many words throughout the story that told what was ahead in the mysterious story that I did not catch onto. An amazing read……It’s written to be re-read with enjoyment…
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Read
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |
My third Sherlock Holmes book read, and definitely my favorite so far. It's thrilling, it's witty, it's well-written and basically everything I have been expecting of these books. Reading this I felt like I finally got to enjoy the kind of story that made me want to read them all in the first place. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
Slow and monotonous, and the world flip toward the end was jarring at best. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 18, 2016 |

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet; The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes ; The memoirs of Sherlock Holmes ; The return of Sherlock Holmes ; The hound of the Baskervilles ; A study in scarlet ... the Bruce-Partington plans (Masters Library) by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

This story owes its inception to my friend, Mr Fletcher Robinson, who has helped me both in the general plot and in the local details
Mr. Sherlock Holmes, who was usually very late in the mornings, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.
A long, low moan, indescribably sad, swept over the moor. It filled the whole air, and yet it was impossible to say whence it came. From a dull murmur it swelled into a deep roar, and then sank back into a melancholy, throbbing murmur once again. Stapleton looked at me with a curious expression in his face.

"Queer place, the moor!" said he.
This is the main work for The Hound of the Baskervilles. Please do not combine it with any abridgement, adaptation, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451528018, Mass Market Paperback)

We owe 1902's The Hound of the Baskervilles to Arthur Conan Doyle's good friend Fletcher "Bobbles" Robinson, who took him to visit some scary English moors and prehistoric ruins, and told him marvelous local legends about escaped prisoners and a 17th-century aristocrat who fell afoul of the family dog. Doyle transmogrified the legend: generations ago, a hound of hell tore out the throat of devilish Hugo Baskerville on the moonlit moor. Poor, accursed Baskerville Hall now has another mysterious death: that of Sir Charles Baskerville. Could the culprit somehow be mixed up with secretive servant Barrymore, history-obsessed Dr. Frankland, butterfly-chasing Stapleton, or Selden, the Notting Hill murderer at large? Someone's been signaling with candles from the mansion's windows. Nor can supernatural forces be ruled out. Can Dr. Watson--left alone by Sherlock Holmes to sleuth in fear for much of the novel--save the next Baskerville, Sir Henry, from the hound's fangs?

Many Holmes fans prefer Doyle's complete short stories, but their clockwork logic doesn't match the author's boast about this novel: it's "a real Creeper!" What distinguishes this particular Hound is its fulfillment of Doyle's great debt to Edgar Allan Poe--it's full of ancient woe, low moans, a Grimpen Mire that sucks ponies to Dostoyevskian deaths, and locals digging up Neolithic skulls without next-of-kins' consent. "The longer one stays here the more does the spirit of the moor sink into one's soul," Watson realizes. "Rank reeds and lush, slimy water-plants sent an odour of decay ... while a false step plunged us more than once thigh-deep into the dark, quivering mire, which shook for yards in soft undulations around our feet ... it was as if some malignant hand was tugging us down into those obscene depths." Read on--but, reader, watch your step! --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

The Hound of the Baskervilles is one of master mystery writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's most accomplished stories. Sherlock Holmes and his companion Dr. Watson confront one of their most difficult cases ever: is there truly a curse on the old Baskerville estate? Is there truly a ghostly beast lurking on the dark, eerie moors? A masterful concoction of plot and mood, this story is guaranteed to give you the shivers.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528018, 014043786X, 0141034327, 0141195223, 0241952875, 0141199172

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102650, 1400108977, 1400115159

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,719,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible