The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur…

The Hound of the Baskervilles (original 1902; edition 2011)

by Arthur Conan Doyle

8,271189379 (3.89)3 / 351
Member:nick334
Title:The Hound of the Baskervilles
Authors:Arthur Conan Doyle
Info:Penguin (2011), Edition: Re-issue, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1902)

English (173)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Czech (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (188)
Some novels have such a grip on the popular imagination that it is easy to fall under the mistaken impression that you know them very well. One such novel is certainly “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, in which the great “consulting detective” Sherlock Holmes solves the mystery of a spectral hound haunting the scions of a wealthy family on the bleak Devon moors.

I vaguely recall reading Conan Doyle’s “The Hound of the Baskervilles” in my early teens. Fresh from a week’s stay in Dartmoor I returned to it, and was surprised to discover that my impressions of the novel were based less on my recollections than on misconceptions and second-hand retellings.

For one thing, at the very beginning of the book I noticed an element of what could only be “self-parody”. Consider the following extract from the opening chapter, which led me to double-check whether I was reading the original text or a spoof:

I stood upon the hearth-rug and picked up the stick which our visitor had left behind him the night before...
"Well, Watson, what do you make of it?"
Holmes was sitting with his back to me, and I had given him no sign of my occupation.
"How did you know what I was doing? I believe you have eyes in the back of your head."
"I have, at least, a well-polished, silver-plated coffee-pot in front of me," said he.

Although the setting of the story is before Holmes’s presumed death at the Reichenbach Falls in (what should have been) his “Final Problem”, the Hound of the Baskervilles was the work in which Holmes returned to print after an absence of eight years to appease the public clamour for a new adventure featuring the seemingly omniscient detective. Doyle’s playful opening scene might be poking fun not only at his own characters but also at the public’s obsession with his creation.

I was also surprised at the fact that, for the greater part of the novel, Watson is the protagonist. Certainly, the “presence” of Holmes hovers over every chapter, but putting Watson in the foreground gives the book a particular flavour. As Anthony Lejeune puts in his foreword to this Capuchin Classics edition, you can stereotype Holmes but not Watson. It also makes this more of an “adventure story” than a “puzzle-solving” crime novel.

The most striking fact about Doyle’s “little book” however is how much it owes to the Gothic genre. Whilst most Holmes stories have a gothic element, this is generally of the Dickensian “London” type, where evil is battled in foggy city streets. Here however we’re in the classic territory of solitary country mansions, nightly terrors, eerie moorland, mires which entrap unwary men and beasts, escaped convicts, femmes fatales, family curses and, to top it all, a giant ghostly hound with flaring nostrils. And although the final neat (yet complex) solution explains away the supernatural trappings (as is typical of that strand of “rationalistic” Gothic which runs from Ann Radcliffe to Scooby-Doo), the brooding sense of fear and dread is difficult to shake off and gives the novel its special aftertaste.

This is an undisputed classic. ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Aug 19, 2015 |
I'm a known graphic novel lover. I love the mix of a good story with brilliant illustrations. I also recently read Sherlock Holmes for the first time, and loved it. So I was eager to read this form of The Hound of the Baskervilles when I saw it, because hello, graphic novel! I figured the amazing drawings could make a great story even greater. Unfortunately, for me this whole thing fell short in pretty much all the ways it matters.

*The Text - The text was EXTREMELY simplified. Something was lost when they tried to edit it down to size. I realize this is a difficult thing to do. However lately I've read a lot of really great graphic novels based on classics/long stories and they seem to do it effectively and seamlessly. *shrug*
*The Graphics- Big problem here, people. Code Red, abort! Abort! Seriously though, this was very "meh" for me. Admittedly, I'm one for color in my graphic novels. This is actually why I don't often read Manga, I miss the color. So maybe part of this is due to my preference for color, but that's only part of it.
*The Graphics (again)- The graphics were also just very blah and boring. Sherlock and Watson were drawn very stylistically old fashioned and in a way they have been depictred for, like, a hundred years. *yawn* If you want kids or whoever to pick this up, you got to put a spin on this a little bit. Do SOMETHING different (anything!) with the looks of the main characters. If I wanted to see this story drawn in the way it's always been drawn I would pick up a battered copy with illustrations (they have those, you know). It would look the same.
*The Ending - The ending seriously moved this from 2 stars to 1. That's a lot, and it's because it was as serious WTF moment for me. The last page had more text than any of the other pages had. It was rushed. It was confusing. It was clearly there to quickly tie the story together to fit the allotted page number or whatever. It made the novel even more choppy.

So those are the reasons I didn't care for this graphic novel version of The Hound of the Baskervilles. Save yourself some time and read the original version while watching the BBC version played by the glorious Benedict Cumberbatch.

-Review also seen on my blog, Dee's Reads

*A copy of this graphic novel was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Having read the earlier novels I was under the impression that Sherlock Holmes only really worked in short stories. Now I have read this I see I was wrong and would like to apologise unreservedly to Mr Doyle through the medium of Librarything... or just through the medium (ha ha)! This is just as good as many of the stories but there's more of it. ( )
  Lukerik | May 18, 2015 |
Um mito assombra a família Baskerville há séculos: a história de um cão que mata todos os descendentes dos Baskervilles, à noite, numa charneca. Quando a lenda eventualmente se torna realidade, isto é, quando Sir Charles Baskerville é encontrado morto na charneca, todos presumem que seja obra do cão, e Sherlock Holmes precisa entrar em ação. O livro tem muita aventura e suspense. É a epítome dos mais paranóides entre os thrillers psicológicos. ( )
  jgcorrea | Apr 24, 2015 |
really like every single sherlock holmes story except for this one ( )
  Stuckey_Bowl | Mar 23, 2015 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

This story owes its inception to my friend, Mr Fletcher Robinson, who has helped me both in the general plot and in the local details
Mr. Sherlock Holmes, who was usually very late in the mornings, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.
A long, low moan, indescribably sad, swept over the moor. It filled the whole air, and yet it was impossible to say whence it came. From a dull murmur it swelled into a deep roar, and then sank back into a melancholy, throbbing murmur once again. Stapleton looked at me with a curious expression in his face.

"Queer place, the moor!" said he.
This is the main work for The Hound of the Baskervilles. Please do not combine it with any abridgement, adaptation, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

The evil of Sir Hugo, master of the lonely, moor-encompassed Manor of Baskerville, began the Curse of the Baskervilles in the 17th Century.

Desirous of a yeoman's daughter, Sir Hugo swore he was ready to give his soul to teh devil for her. He captured her, but she escaped. He saddled his horse and chased her over the moors until she dropped dead from exhaustion ... and then a black hell-hound appeared, with eyes like fire, and ripped out Hugo's throat.

Now, years later, the Hound has returned and caused the death of Hugo's descendant, Sir Charles Baskerville. And the new Lord of the Manor, Henry Baskerville, has been warned not to claim his inheritance ... on pain of death!
-----------------------------------------
"I gave Holmes several guesses about the owner of the stick, which was a bulbous-headed piece of wood with an inscribed band under the head, reading "To James Mortimer, MRCS, from his friends of the CCH 1884."

"I am afraid, dear WAtson, that most of yoru conclusions were erroneous," said Holmes. "The man is certainly a country practioner. And he walks a great deal. but, for a medical man, a presentation is more likely to come from a hospital than a Cross Country Hunt. Therefore, when "C.C>" is placed before "Hospital", the words "Charring Cross" very naturally suggest themselves. You will observe that he could not have been on the staff of the hospital, since only a man well-established in a London practice could be. What wsa he, then? He could only have been a  house surgeon - little more than a senior student. And he left only five years ago - in 1884. So there emerges a fellow under 30, amiable, unambitious, absent-minded and, to judge from the tooth marks on the stick, the possessor of a favorite dog, larger than a terrier and smaller than a mastiff."

Holmes stretched and looked out the window. "Yes, by Jove, it is a curly-haired spaniel!"
-----------------------------------
A mystery about how a bunch of the Baskerville men ran outside to try to catch a lady that ran away from them. Then they found a great big dog that killed them. Sherlock Holmes secretly hides to do his own detective work and sends Dr. Watson to do some detective work while watching over Sir Henry Baskerville. So read this classic thriller to see what Sherlock Holmes does next.

Huh??? What story does this pertain to?"
AR 8.3, 11 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451528018, Mass Market Paperback)

We owe 1902's The Hound of the Baskervilles to Arthur Conan Doyle's good friend Fletcher "Bobbles" Robinson, who took him to visit some scary English moors and prehistoric ruins, and told him marvelous local legends about escaped prisoners and a 17th-century aristocrat who fell afoul of the family dog. Doyle transmogrified the legend: generations ago, a hound of hell tore out the throat of devilish Hugo Baskerville on the moonlit moor. Poor, accursed Baskerville Hall now has another mysterious death: that of Sir Charles Baskerville. Could the culprit somehow be mixed up with secretive servant Barrymore, history-obsessed Dr. Frankland, butterfly-chasing Stapleton, or Selden, the Notting Hill murderer at large? Someone's been signaling with candles from the mansion's windows. Nor can supernatural forces be ruled out. Can Dr. Watson--left alone by Sherlock Holmes to sleuth in fear for much of the novel--save the next Baskerville, Sir Henry, from the hound's fangs?

Many Holmes fans prefer Doyle's complete short stories, but their clockwork logic doesn't match the author's boast about this novel: it's "a real Creeper!" What distinguishes this particular Hound is its fulfillment of Doyle's great debt to Edgar Allan Poe--it's full of ancient woe, low moans, a Grimpen Mire that sucks ponies to Dostoyevskian deaths, and locals digging up Neolithic skulls without next-of-kins' consent. "The longer one stays here the more does the spirit of the moor sink into one's soul," Watson realizes. "Rank reeds and lush, slimy water-plants sent an odour of decay ... while a false step plunged us more than once thigh-deep into the dark, quivering mire, which shook for yards in soft undulations around our feet ... it was as if some malignant hand was tugging us down into those obscene depths." Read on--but, reader, watch your step! --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:26 -0400)

The Hound of the Baskervilles is one of master mystery writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's most accomplished stories. Sherlock Holmes and his companion Dr. Watson confront one of their most difficult cases ever: is there truly a curse on the old Baskerville estate? Is there truly a ghostly beast lurking on the dark, eerie moors? A masterful concoction of plot and mood, this story is guaranteed to give you the shivers.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528018, 014043786X, 0141034327, 0141195223, 0241952875, 0141199172

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102650, 1400108977, 1400115159

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,085,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible