The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur…

The Hound of the Baskervilles (original 1902; edition 2011)

by Arthur Conan Doyle

7,853175425 (3.89)3 / 351
Member:nick334
Title:The Hound of the Baskervilles
Authors:Arthur Conan Doyle
Info:Penguin (2011), Edition: Re-issue, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1902)

English (157)  Spanish (4)  Czech (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (173)
(This is not the version that I own, which makes me a little cranky, but I'm moving on.)

After watching the BBC Sherlock rendition of The Hound of the Baskervilles, I had to re-read the original to see what was kept and what was changed. I brought it with me on a road trip to Chicago and ended up reading it all aloud to Andrew in the car.

Some books are pure pleasure to read aloud, and this is one of them. The phrasing is right for speech. The vocabulary is just a slight stretch from one's normal daily repertoire. There is enough variety between quiet moments and passionate ones to support a variety in pitch of voice. Books from this era were almost certainly meant to be sometimes shared aloud by the fireside or in the parlour. (When I was your age, television was called books!) Reading them in the car is close enough to do.

As with many of the Sherlock stories I've read in the past, I remembered the how, but not the who or necessarily the why. It was a pleasure to rediscover, especially alongside someone experiencing the novel at the same time, and reading instead of watching allowed for the sorts of pauses to speculate and exchange theories.

There are other stories I want to revisit as well, in addition to some I've yet to read, in light of my current obsession with BBC Sherlock. As always, there are too many things to read, not enough time to concentrate through the distractions of my house full of boys.

greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
This is a traditional black and white graphic novel. The story is well known and as a graphic novel it sticks to the plot of the original novel well. The drawings are basic and I have to admit to wanting a little colour. Having said that the drawings are clear and concise with good consistency with the characters faces.

This is a short graphic novel which was a quick fun read. ( )
  samarnold1975 | Sep 12, 2014 |
This was the first Sherlock book I had ever read - and I was surprised to find Mr. Holmes absent for a decent chunk of the novel, Sir A.C. Doyle contenting himself to follow the exploits of the good Dr. Watson for about half of the story.
This was also the book which made me realize that the bumbling doctor was much less bumbling and much more bad-ass than is portrayed in most of the old movies.
The moral of this story? Never underestimate the sidekick, especially when he's the narrator.
What else can I say? It's a classic Sherlock novel. Mystery, intrigue, and (if the title doesn't spoil it enough) a really big, scary dog. With phosphorous drool. I'm serious. ( )
  zhyatt | Aug 9, 2014 |
Sherlock Holmes is a fascinating character. The story is fast-paced and engaging. ( )
  krista.rutherford | Jul 30, 2014 |
Perhaps the most interesting part of this book was the absence of Holmes himself. It's been a long time since I've read a Holmes story--and so I had forgotten that, in actuality, the story is told by Watson, Holmes' trusty sidekick.

I think that I have read this book before (but so long ago in high school it is hard to remember...), so when I guessed correctly who the killer was, I wasn't too shocked.

All in all, this was a good book to read bit by bit (emailed daily to me by DailyLit.com--check it out), but I don't think it would be one that I would want to take and read on my own. Good stuff. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

This story owes its inception to my friend, Mr Fletcher Robinson, who has helped me both in the general plot and in the local details
Mr. Sherlock Holmes, who was usually very late in the mornings, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.
A long, low moan, indescribably sad, swept over the moor. It filled the whole air, and yet it was impossible to say whence it came. From a dull murmur it swelled into a deep roar, and then sank back into a melancholy, throbbing murmur once again. Stapleton looked at me with a curious expression in his face.

"Queer place, the moor!" said he.
This is the main work for The Hound of the Baskervilles. Please do not combine it with any abridgement, adaptation, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

The evil of Sir Hugo, master of the lonely, moor-encompassed Manor of Baskerville, began the Curse of the Baskervilles in the 17th Century.

Desirous of a yeoman's daughter, Sir Hugo swore he was ready to give his soul to teh devil for her. He captured her, but she escaped. He saddled his horse and chased her over the moors until she dropped dead from exhaustion ... and then a black hell-hound appeared, with eyes like fire, and ripped out Hugo's throat.

Now, years later, the Hound has returned and caused the death of Hugo's descendant, Sir Charles Baskerville. And the new Lord of the Manor, Henry Baskerville, has been warned not to claim his inheritance ... on pain of death!
-----------------------------------------
"I gave Holmes several guesses about the owner of the stick, which was a bulbous-headed piece of wood with an inscribed band under the head, reading "To James Mortimer, MRCS, from his friends of the CCH 1884."

"I am afraid, dear WAtson, that most of yoru conclusions were erroneous," said Holmes. "The man is certainly a country practioner. And he walks a great deal. but, for a medical man, a presentation is more likely to come from a hospital than a Cross Country Hunt. Therefore, when "C.C>" is placed before "Hospital", the words "Charring Cross" very naturally suggest themselves. You will observe that he could not have been on the staff of the hospital, since only a man well-established in a London practice could be. What wsa he, then? He could only have been a  house surgeon - little more than a senior student. And he left only five years ago - in 1884. So there emerges a fellow under 30, amiable, unambitious, absent-minded and, to judge from the tooth marks on the stick, the possessor of a favorite dog, larger than a terrier and smaller than a mastiff."

Holmes stretched and looked out the window. "Yes, by Jove, it is a curly-haired spaniel!"
-----------------------------------
A mystery about how a bunch of the Baskerville men ran outside to try to catch a lady that ran away from them. Then they found a great big dog that killed them. Sherlock Holmes secretly hides to do his own detective work and sends Dr. Watson to do some detective work while watching over Sir Henry Baskerville. So read this classic thriller to see what Sherlock Holmes does next.

Huh??? What story does this pertain to?"
AR 8.3, 11 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451528018, Mass Market Paperback)

We owe 1902's The Hound of the Baskervilles to Arthur Conan Doyle's good friend Fletcher "Bobbles" Robinson, who took him to visit some scary English moors and prehistoric ruins, and told him marvelous local legends about escaped prisoners and a 17th-century aristocrat who fell afoul of the family dog. Doyle transmogrified the legend: generations ago, a hound of hell tore out the throat of devilish Hugo Baskerville on the moonlit moor. Poor, accursed Baskerville Hall now has another mysterious death: that of Sir Charles Baskerville. Could the culprit somehow be mixed up with secretive servant Barrymore, history-obsessed Dr. Frankland, butterfly-chasing Stapleton, or Selden, the Notting Hill murderer at large? Someone's been signaling with candles from the mansion's windows. Nor can supernatural forces be ruled out. Can Dr. Watson--left alone by Sherlock Holmes to sleuth in fear for much of the novel--save the next Baskerville, Sir Henry, from the hound's fangs?

Many Holmes fans prefer Doyle's complete short stories, but their clockwork logic doesn't match the author's boast about this novel: it's "a real Creeper!" What distinguishes this particular Hound is its fulfillment of Doyle's great debt to Edgar Allan Poe--it's full of ancient woe, low moans, a Grimpen Mire that sucks ponies to Dostoyevskian deaths, and locals digging up Neolithic skulls without next-of-kins' consent. "The longer one stays here the more does the spirit of the moor sink into one's soul," Watson realizes. "Rank reeds and lush, slimy water-plants sent an odour of decay ... while a false step plunged us more than once thigh-deep into the dark, quivering mire, which shook for yards in soft undulations around our feet ... it was as if some malignant hand was tugging us down into those obscene depths." Read on--but, reader, watch your step! --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:46 -0400)

The Hound of the Baskervilles is one of master mystery writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's most accomplished stories. Sherlock Holmes and his companion Dr. Watson confront one of their most difficult cases ever: is there truly a curse on the old Baskerville estate? Is there truly a ghostly beast lurking on the dark, eerie moors? A masterful concoction of plot and mood, this story is guaranteed to give you the shivers.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528018, 014043786X, 0141034327, 0141195223, 0241952875, 0141199172

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,321,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible