The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur…

The Hound of the Baskervilles (original 1902; edition 2011)

by Arthur Conan Doyle

7,569None449 (3.9)3 / 351
Member:thingtwo
Title:The Hound of the Baskervilles
Authors:Arthur Conan Doyle
Info:Viking (2011), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:library copy, audiobook, fiction, mystery, victorian england, Sherlock Holmes, #5

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1902)

1001 (59) 1001 books (61) 19th century (93) 20th century (42) Arthur Conan Doyle (53) British (105) British literature (81) classic (266) classics (244) crime (209) crime fiction (75) detective (246) detective fiction (59) ebook (52) England (124) English (44) English literature (78) fiction (914) Holmes (43) literature (125) London (39) murder (52) mystery (970) novel (131) own (32) read (119) Sherlock Holmes (525) to-read (77) unread (40) Victorian (71)

English (149)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Czech (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (164)
Z loved his first Sherlock . . . drew a map of the Moor RPG style. ( )
  beckydj | Apr 6, 2014 |
A demonic hound is terrorizing the Baskerville family.

I have to admit that the first thing I thought upon finishing this book was: "I would have gotten away with it first if it hadn't been for that meddling detective!" To be fair, Conan Doyle long preceded Scooby-Doo, and the writing is much better. But in terms of plot, they certainly could be kissing cousins.

I remember reading a lot of Sherlock Holmes as a kid, although I don't remember which stories I read, or if this famous novel was among them. I have the Puffin Classics edition, and I think this novel, and Sherlock Holmes in general, holds up well for young readers. Conan Doyle's writing is clean, straightforward, and evocative. I particularly enjoyed his descriptions of the moors in this book--they came across as both beautiful and menacing.

I was glad to revisit Sherlock Holmes. After seeing so many televised and film adaptations, we can lose sight of the original work and forget that it's also worth reading in its own right.

This story was inspired by the legend of ghostly black dogs in Dartmoor. Its appearance was regarded as a portent of death.

Revisiting children's classics (2014). I also read this as part of the MysteryCAT challenge for March 2014: children's mysteries. ( )
  sturlington | Mar 21, 2014 |
I'm not sure what took me so long to read this book. I've always loved Sherlock Holmes since I first saw Basil Rathbone's version on t.v. as a child. This was a lovely mystery. Although, I knew the basis of the story (from what I could remember seeing as a child and also from the Moffit/Gatiss modern version of the tale), I still found myself surprised in a few areas. I even found myself jumping at one point when my telephone rang while I was reading a particularly dark description of the moors at night.

I do love Sherlock Holmes and think everyone should read at least some of Doyle's masterpiece series at least once in their lifetime. As I've told my son (who is currently reading A Study in Scarlet), you might just be surprised with how readable and enjoyable, Doyle's work is. ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
Probably the most-referred-to case Sherlock Holmes ever solved, I only went into it knowing it had something to do with a supernatural dog. I feel like I must have read this when I was younger, if only in a simplified version, but I didn't remember anything more about it. Watson comes to the forefront in this one for quite a while, which makes it interesting. The twists and turns are enjoyable, even if I found none of the players in the case particularly endearing.

Recommended for: everyone.

Quote: "I am afraid, my dear Watson, that most of your conclusions were erroneous. When I said that you stimulated me I meant, to be frank, that in noting your fallacies I was occasionally guided towards the truth." ( )
  ursula | Mar 5, 2014 |
The stories of Sherlock Holmes are always a interesting read--even more so now because of the popularity or recent movies and TV shows. The Hounds of the Baskervilles is one of the most loved stories in the Sherlock Holmes series and I can see why! ( )
  TeamDewey | Feb 19, 2014 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

This story owes its inception to my friend, Mr Fletcher Robinson, who has helped me both in the general plot and in the local details
Mr. Sherlock Holmes, who was usually very late in the mornings, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table.
A long, low moan, indescribably sad, swept over the moor. It filled the whole air, and yet it was impossible to say whence it came. From a dull murmur it swelled into a deep roar, and then sank back into a melancholy, throbbing murmur once again. Stapleton looked at me with a curious expression in his face.

"Queer place, the moor!" said he.
This is the main work for The Hound of the Baskervilles. Please do not combine it with any abridgement, adaptation, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

The evil of Sir Hugo, master of the lonely, moor-encompassed Manor of Baskerville, began the Curse of the Baskervilles in the 17th Century.

Desirous of a yeoman's daughter, Sir Hugo swore he was ready to give his soul to teh devil for her. He captured her, but she escaped. He saddled his horse and chased her over the moors until she dropped dead from exhaustion ... and then a black hell-hound appeared, with eyes like fire, and ripped out Hugo's throat.

Now, years later, the Hound has returned and caused the death of Hugo's descendant, Sir Charles Baskerville. And the new Lord of the Manor, Henry Baskerville, has been warned not to claim his inheritance ... on pain of death!
-----------------------------------------
"I gave Holmes several guesses about the owner of the stick, which was a bulbous-headed piece of wood with an inscribed band under the head, reading "To James Mortimer, MRCS, from his friends of the CCH 1884."

"I am afraid, dear WAtson, that most of yoru conclusions were erroneous," said Holmes. "The man is certainly a country practioner. And he walks a great deal. but, for a medical man, a presentation is more likely to come from a hospital than a Cross Country Hunt. Therefore, when "C.C>" is placed before "Hospital", the words "Charring Cross" very naturally suggest themselves. You will observe that he could not have been on the staff of the hospital, since only a man well-established in a London practice could be. What wsa he, then? He could only have been a  house surgeon - little more than a senior student. And he left only five years ago - in 1884. So there emerges a fellow under 30, amiable, unambitious, absent-minded and, to judge from the tooth marks on the stick, the possessor of a favorite dog, larger than a terrier and smaller than a mastiff."

Holmes stretched and looked out the window. "Yes, by Jove, it is a curly-haired spaniel!"
-----------------------------------
A mystery about how a bunch of the Baskerville men ran outside to try to catch a lady that ran away from them. Then they found a great big dog that killed them. Sherlock Holmes secretly hides to do his own detective work and sends Dr. Watson to do some detective work while watching over Sir Henry Baskerville. So read this classic thriller to see what Sherlock Holmes does next.

Huh??? What story does this pertain to?"
AR 8.3, 11 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451528018, Mass Market Paperback)

We owe 1902's The Hound of the Baskervilles to Arthur Conan Doyle's good friend Fletcher "Bobbles" Robinson, who took him to visit some scary English moors and prehistoric ruins, and told him marvelous local legends about escaped prisoners and a 17th-century aristocrat who fell afoul of the family dog. Doyle transmogrified the legend: generations ago, a hound of hell tore out the throat of devilish Hugo Baskerville on the moonlit moor. Poor, accursed Baskerville Hall now has another mysterious death: that of Sir Charles Baskerville. Could the culprit somehow be mixed up with secretive servant Barrymore, history-obsessed Dr. Frankland, butterfly-chasing Stapleton, or Selden, the Notting Hill murderer at large? Someone's been signaling with candles from the mansion's windows. Nor can supernatural forces be ruled out. Can Dr. Watson--left alone by Sherlock Holmes to sleuth in fear for much of the novel--save the next Baskerville, Sir Henry, from the hound's fangs?

Many Holmes fans prefer Doyle's complete short stories, but their clockwork logic doesn't match the author's boast about this novel: it's "a real Creeper!" What distinguishes this particular Hound is its fulfillment of Doyle's great debt to Edgar Allan Poe--it's full of ancient woe, low moans, a Grimpen Mire that sucks ponies to Dostoyevskian deaths, and locals digging up Neolithic skulls without next-of-kins' consent. "The longer one stays here the more does the spirit of the moor sink into one's soul," Watson realizes. "Rank reeds and lush, slimy water-plants sent an odour of decay ... while a false step plunged us more than once thigh-deep into the dark, quivering mire, which shook for yards in soft undulations around our feet ... it was as if some malignant hand was tugging us down into those obscene depths." Read on--but, reader, watch your step! --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:46 -0400)

The Hound of the Baskervilles is one of master mystery writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's most accomplished stories. Sherlock Holmes and his companion Dr. Watson confront one of their most difficult cases ever: is there truly a curse on the old Baskerville estate? Is there truly a ghostly beast lurking on the dark, eerie moors? A masterful concoction of plot and mood, this story is guaranteed to give you the shivers.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

Eigthteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528018, 014043786X, 0141034327, 0241952875

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,458,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible