Superman Vol. 1: What Price Tomorrow? by…

Superman Vol. 1: What Price Tomorrow? (edition 2012)

by George Perez

Member:DanieXJ
Title:Superman Vol. 1: What Price Tomorrow?
Authors:George Perez
Info:DC Comics (2012), Hardcover, 144 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:superman, supergirl (kara), dc comics, trade paperback (comic), new 52, lois lane, 2013

Superman Volume 1: What Price Tomorrow? by George Pérez

I really enjoyed this story! The dialogue was corny sometimes like a couple of times someone said, "This is a job for Superman!" LOL. But the story was pretty good. Superman has to fight off these aliens who take on characteristics of his powers: a fire being, an ice being and one who is invisible to only Superman. Eventually, they take him over and we have a "bad" Superman again. Supergirl turns up in the last issue to help. Fun! ( )
  ElizaJane | Jun 12, 2016 |
I, lover of all things Superman, a Superman apologist extraordinaire, gave this TPB two stars. *sigh* Yes, it was just that bad. Where to start. Perhaps with the good stuff. The new uniform is growing on me. I really liked the character of Miko (a reporter) and Perry's pretty much still Perry.

This was an Eradicator sort of story. I've never liked those, so maybe that made me be a bit harder on it than usual. But I agreed with Clark about tearing down the Daily Planet building. It was just plain wrong (is nothing sacred?). Not to mention the characters of Superman and Lois are just totally wrong too.

I do get that Superman can't stay in the fifties forever, but one of the things that I loved about Superman pre-New 52 reboot was that in a lot of ways his stories were timeless. This story is anything but timeless. ( )
  DanieXJ | Nov 27, 2015 |
not too bad ( )
  fighterofevil | Aug 26, 2014 |
This wasn't as bad as I expected from the general trend of reviews on Goodreads. I don't think I'm really a fan of DC's stuff in general, though. I mean, I remember Superman in bright colours, as wholesome as Marvel's Captain America, but here it's all dark and broody. Maybe part of the problem is that I never read the comics before, but was a devotee of the tv series. No, not Smallville -- Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman!

Anyway, this was... okay. I liked the redesign of Superman's costume which keeps the important aspects of his iconic image and tweaks things we could do without (the underwear on the outside of his costume thing). I didn't feel strongly about the art either way, though I did feel that the criticisms of the number of panels and cluttered pages are pretty valid.

The story is okay, but like I said, there's a lot of dark and broody here, which I thought was more Batman's line. There's some stuff intended to make it relevant and modern, like the Daily Planet's way of dealing with the move to digital media, but all in all, I don't know how that works. In my head, the Daily Planet smells of paper and ink, and Metropolis never really joins the digital age.

So the only New 52 titles I've really been interested in following are Batgirl and Batwoman. Hmm. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 23, 2014 |

George Pérezprimary authorall editionscalculated
Merino, JesusIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Scott, NicolaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

While the city of Metropolis begins looking upon Superman with suspicion instead of adoration, a new alien menace arrives with a mysterious connection to Krypton and to Superman.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible