Run the Risk (Hqn) by Lori Foster

Run the Risk (Hqn) (edition 2012)

by Lori Foster

2012058,418 (3.92)1
Member:ReaditandBleep
Title:Run the Risk (Hqn)
Authors:Lori Foster
Info:Harlequin HQN (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:romance, logan, pepper

Run the Risk by Lori Foster (Author)

When Detective Logan Riske goes undercover to find Pepper Yates, a potential link to his best friend’s unsolved murder, he vows to gain her cooperation by any means necessary. Pepper has spent years dodging the corrupt club owner who will stop at nothing to keep her silenced. She can trust no one, not even the handsome new “construction worker” who’s moved in next door. The heat between them is undeniable. But will surrendering to passion bring her the safety she so desires.

The first book in the Love Undercover series. I don’t know if the story was a bit slow or I was just too eager for the action to start. The romance between Pepper and Logan is hot. The additional characters and the interaction is great especially between Pepper and Detective Reese Bareden. Pepper is hiding on plain sight in dowdy clothes, which i don’t quite understand how, if she is so stunning naturally. When Logan and Reese haul Rowdy in for questioning Pepper springs into action and heads off the people threatening her family. Will Pepper forgive Logan and will there romance survive.

A good start to the new series 9 out of 10 ( )
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |
Logan is a man on a mission. His friend was killed in the line of duty. Without a witness, he didn't stand a chance to find the killer. After a lot of searching, Logan finally found a clue. So he moves in next door to a Sue Meeks, the manager of the apartment building.

Sue is hiding a secret. Her real name is Pepper Yates and her brother, Rowdy, is suppose to be the witness to the crime committed. Both have been in hiding and on the run since Rowdy quit his job at at Checkers. With Rowdy missing, more than one person wants him found. One person wants him alive. The other needs Rowdy removed permanently so the crimes committed can never be told.

Pepper keeps to herself in dowdy clothes. Her outward appearance screams plain Jane. Underneath beats the heart of a woman. The more time she spends with Logan, the more Pepper wants to be herself again. In spite of self-preservation and her hands off policy, Pepper simply wants to be in Logan's company....much to her brother's dismay.

It's a riveting conclusion. Once again Foster brings turmoil and romance to a satisfying close.

Run the Risk
Lori Foster
Harlequin
September 2012
Contemporary ( )
  scribblers | Sep 23, 2015 |
Dang. This is the second romance book I’ve read by this author—had just finished reading Getting Rowdy—and was left to wonder if all of her books start out bad. Logan Riske is working undercover, getting close to his neighbor—Pepper Yates in hiding—in order to capture her brother, Rowdy. It’s believed that Rowdy had seen the death Logan’s best friend by a guy into all sorts of rackets who has a lot of cops and higher officials in his pocket.

Pepper is a dowdy looking woman who keeps to herself, but finds Logan incredibly attractive. Personally at this point I can’t claim to even like her. They have sex a number of times, but it’s always with her very specific conditions; only in the dark, clothes on and no touching. At this point I couldn’t recommend the book. That is until Rowdy is captured and things begin to happen. We also find that Pepper has disguised herself so well that everyone is shocked when she reverts to her normal look and personality.

There’s police corruption and it’s unknown who to trust. The characters are what really make this an interesting story. As a matter of fact, many of the characters met are important in future books. And it’s because of them that I even picked up this book and kept at it, even though I so disliked the beginning.

Can I claim to have enjoyed the story after finishing the book? Definitely. And I just had to laugh at how the climatic “get the bad guy” was handled. ( )
  dearheart | Sep 1, 2014 |
I'm shocked to say that this book is totally boring. If this were the first Lori Foster I read, it would be the last. The characters, the story...all of it...is less than luke warm. I'm reading the next hoping it gets better. ( )
  lesmel | Nov 18, 2013 |
As always, Lori Foster doesn't fail to deliver another good read with lots of steamy bits. ( )
  SLHobbs | Apr 20, 2013 |
Reviewed by Marissa
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Run the Risk is the first in a new series from Lori Foster featuring men and women in disguise. No, I’m not talking about wearing funny glasses with a nose and fake mustache attached. I’m talking down and dirty undercover, as in “If I told you I’d have to kill you”.

In the debut, we find out pretty quickly that Pepper is hiding something (her name included) but it takes most of the book to find out what she’s hiding and why she’s hiding it. Logan, on the other hand is more straightforward. We learn right off the bat that he’s undercover so he can track his best friend’s killer.

I love that there are little mysteries within the book that kept me turning the pages. Why does Pepper insist on staying clothed while having sex? And always with the lights out? Is Logan’s boss good or bad? What about his new partner? And then there’s the lady with the gun… Oh, but some questions don’t even get answered here and we have to wait for the second book. (Reese’s story – can’t wait!)

This is another great summer (or winter) read from prolific author Lori Foster. If you liked her Visitation, Men to the Rescue, or the SBC Fighter series, you will love this new Love Undercover series.
added by RtB | editRomancing the Book, Marissa (Sep 25, 2012)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373776950, Mass Market Paperback)

When Detective Logan Riske goes undercover to find Pepper Yates, a potential link to his best friend's unsolved murder, he vows to gain her cooperation by any means necessary. But the elusive beauty is more suspicious—and in far more danger—than he expected. And the last thing Logan needs is to start caring for her….

Pepper has spent years dodging the corrupt club owner who will stop at nothing to keep her silenced. She can trust no one, not even the handsome new "construction worker" who's moved in next door. The heat between them is undeniable. But will surrendering to passion bring her the safety she so desires—or will her feelings for Logan draw them both into a killer's crosshairs?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:30 -0400)

"When Detective Logan Riske goes undercover to find Pepper Yates, a potential link to his best friend's unsolved murder, he vows to gain her cooperation by any means necessary. But the elusive beauty is more suspicious-and in far more danger-than he expected. And the last thing Logan needs is to start caring for her. Pepper has spent years dodging the corrupt club owner who will stop at nothing to keep her silenced. She can trust no one, not even the handsome new "construction worker" who's moved in next door. The heat between them is undeniable. But will surrendering to passion bring her the safety she so desires-or will her feelings for Logan draw them both into a killer's crosshairs?" -- Cover verso.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,227,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible