Member:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:
Tags:romance, logan, pepper

Run the Risk by Lori Foster (Author)

I'm shocked to say that this book is totally boring. If this were the first Lori Foster I read, it would be the last. The characters, the story...all of it...is less than luke warm. I'm reading the next hoping it gets better. ( )
  lesmel | Nov 18, 2013 |
As always, Lori Foster doesn't fail to deliver another good read with lots of steamy bits. ( )
  SLHobbs | Apr 20, 2013 |

How do you catch a killer when the only witness is on the run and can't be found? Answer: you go undercover and try to get close to the witness' sister.
Two years ago, Detective Logan Riske's best friend was murdered. With no evidence and no witnesses, the culprit is still roaming free, but Logan wants justice and revenge. When he learns that the witness Rowdy Yates has a sister safely tucked away away, posing as an apartment building manager, he decides to go undercover as a construction worker and fellow tenant to get closer to her. Where she is, her brother can't be far away. But meeting Sue Meeks aka Pepper Yates is both the best and worst thing that could have happened to him. His mission and his growing feelings for Pepper could cost him the woman as well as her life.

There is a lot going on in this book, and it delivers on many points: humor, action, suspense and hot sex. I giggled my way through the first few chapters with the introduction of Sue aka Pepper and Logan. She was so painfully shy, that when faced with all the manly naked chest manliness of Logan, her reactions were actually very comical. However, her wicked thoughts belie the buttoned up prude hiding beneath long skirts, over-sized sweaters and unkempt hair. She can't fathom why a man as good looking as Logan would try so hard to break down her resistance and her carefully erected barriers. But when he does, he certainly doesn't hold back.

The relationship between Rowdy and Pepper kept me questioning whether she was a door mat or just absolutely devoted to her brother. He literally was "Big Brother".
I felt that Pepper's anger directed at Logan dragged on a little too long (around nine chapters). I understood why she felt betrayed and angry, but her idea of payback was to initiate sex and walk out immediately afterwards. The next morning Pepper would act like nothing was wrong or be antagonistic. By the second round I got bored and skipped the sex scene to get back to the action.
There were two subplots to set up the next books in the series, and while I came to like Rowdy eventually, his detour into a restaurant where he becomes infatuated with a waitress did nothing for this story except add on extra reading material. Now I can guess who his love interest will be when his book comes out.
I really liked Alice. She was quiet, standoffish, but there was a quiet strength about her that I really enjoyed. Apparently she made her first appearance in Trace of Fever [Men Who Walk The Edge of Honor, Book 2]. Overall, I enjoyed this new series, and I'll probably read the rest when they come out. First I have to read the rest of the MWWTEoH series. I just bought all the PBs yesterday :)

Favorite quotes:

"Thank you," she said again.
He thoughtfully watched her as he ate. "You know, I just had my tongue in your mouth, so you don't have to be so formal."
Pepper gasped—and choked on her pizza.

"I'm wondering," he said, "if I mentioned how bad I want to get you naked, would you keel over?"

"The only risk I want you to have is my last name."

Thank you Harlequin (Imprint: HarlequinMIRA) and NetGalley for the ARC.

Disclaimer: A review in exchange for the ARC was not promised. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the publisher/distributor. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Apr 12, 2013 |
I hope this new series improves. This book was too much like earlier cop and fugitive books written by both Foster and other authors..A bit of a cookie cutter. Sorry, I am not hooked. I will probably try Reeses book next in hopes Foster just had a bad day. Most of her books are right on for me. ( )
  2Sunny | Apr 6, 2013 |
The first in her new Love Undercover series, Foster brings us a yummy, suspenseful tale with lovable characters, villains and just the right amount of heat.

The tale begins when we meet smexy Detective Logan Riske. He is undercover trying to find a witness regarding the unsolved murder of his friend by a corrupt club owner. He has finally tracked down Pepper Yates the witness’s sister and has moved into the apartment next door. Pepper is living under an alias and doing her best not to be noticed and the new hot neighbor is getting under her skin. Logan slowly gains her trust and a whole lot more than he bargained for but his misunderstanding of key facts might put them all in danger. The tale that unfolds was hot, dangerous and action packed.

Logan is a cop through and through and he is determined to get justice for his friend. He quickly realizes he is in over his head with Pepper and I loved how it unnerved him. He trusts his instincts and I liked that about him. Pepper is damaged when we first meet her, and I loved watching the layers of her personality peel back as the tale unfolded. The chemistry between them was hot, sweet and at times downright hilarious. Pepper’s brother Rowdy is everything you would want in a brother and while he moves in the gray area of the law his dedication to his sister made him lovable Reese is Logan’s partner at the police station and the next character to be featured in this series. The villains are creepy and the corruption far reaching making this very suspenseful.

Foster’s tale flowed deliciously and literally grabbed me in the first few pages. I easily consumed this in a single afternoon and found myself longing for the next book in this series. I love series where each book features a character and their romance and this is exactly what Love Undercover delivers. The characters were well fleshed out and believable. The plot was suspenseful and I loved watching all of the pieces fall into place. The attraction was slow to build and the romance felt genuine. We get a few hot scenes with just enough detail to turn up the heat. The ending was sweet and gave us a glimpse at the next installment. I closed this book with a smile.
Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |
Reviewed by Marissa
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Run the Risk is the first in a new series from Lori Foster featuring men and women in disguise. No, I’m not talking about wearing funny glasses with a nose and fake mustache attached. I’m talking down and dirty undercover, as in “If I told you I’d have to kill you”.

In the debut, we find out pretty quickly that Pepper is hiding something (her name included) but it takes most of the book to find out what she’s hiding and why she’s hiding it. Logan, on the other hand is more straightforward. We learn right off the bat that he’s undercover so he can track his best friend’s killer.

I love that there are little mysteries within the book that kept me turning the pages. Why does Pepper insist on staying clothed while having sex? And always with the lights out? Is Logan’s boss good or bad? What about his new partner? And then there’s the lady with the gun… Oh, but some questions don’t even get answered here and we have to wait for the second book. (Reese’s story – can’t wait!)

This is another great summer (or winter) read from prolific author Lori Foster. If you liked her Visitation, Men to the Rescue, or the SBC Fighter series, you will love this new Love Undercover series.
added by RtB | editRomancing the Book, Marissa (Sep 25, 2012)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373776950, Mass Market Paperback)

When Detective Logan Riske goes undercover to find Pepper Yates, a potential link to his best friend's unsolved murder, he vows to gain her cooperation by any means necessary. But the elusive beauty is more suspicious—and in far more danger—than he expected. And the last thing Logan needs is to start caring for her….

Pepper has spent years dodging the corrupt club owner who will stop at nothing to keep her silenced. She can trust no one, not even the handsome new "construction worker" who's moved in next door. The heat between them is undeniable. But will surrendering to passion bring her the safety she so desires—or will her feelings for Logan draw them both into a killer's crosshairs?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:29 -0400)

"When Detective Logan Riske goes undercover to find Pepper Yates, a potential link to his best friend's unsolved murder, he vows to gain her cooperation by any means necessary. But the elusive beauty is more suspicious-and in far more danger-than he expected. And the last thing Logan needs is to start caring for her. Pepper has spent years dodging the corrupt club owner who will stop at nothing to keep her silenced. She can trust no one, not even the handsome new "construction worker" who's moved in next door. The heat between them is undeniable. But will surrendering to passion bring her the safety she so desires-or will her feelings for Logan draw them both into a killer's crosshairs?" -- Cover verso.… (more)

75 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,667,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible