Promised (The Birthmarked Trilogy) by Caragh…

Promised (The Birthmarked Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Caragh M. O'Brien

2071256,585 (3.65)4
Member:krau0098
Title:Promised (The Birthmarked Trilogy)
Authors:Caragh M. O'Brien
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:dystopia, young adult

Promised by Caragh M. O'Brien

4.5 stars. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Review on fefferbooks.com! ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
Overall, I was pleased (although not entirely satisfied) with this wrap-up to the Birthmarked Trilogy. This third book is more action-packed, with many plot twists, so it was a fun read. All of the old characters are back. Gaia is almost back to her old self, but she still questions her decisions and morals. Her confidence and strong morals is what made me love her originally. Many of the main plot points are resolved, such as Gaia's relationships with Leon and the Chardo brothers, her conflict with the Protectorate and Mabrother Iris, and the fate of Wharfton and New Sylum. However, much of the conflict is resolved without Gaia's involvement, often without satisfying details. And if you were hoping for some romance, don't get too excited. The romantic climax happens within the first couple chapters.

***Spoilers*** The demise of most of the bad guys is caught "off camera." Since Gaia doesn't see it, we the readers just get to learn about it in passing. The evil, torturous Iris is just killed off in the scuffle WITH NO DETAILS. That left me feeling horribly unsatisfied. Leon's reputation for molesting his sister is never truly resolved other than Gaia doesn't doubt his innocence anymore. I wish Leon had redemption. We don't even get to know much about his final confrontation with his father (although I do feel satisfied with Gaia's final confrontation with him, at least). And what about Gaia's friendship with Emily? Are they friends again? Is Emily even invited to the wedding? I also wish there had been more flashbacks with Gaia's parents or more memories built with her newfound brothers. This book could have been a 5/5, but it glossed over too many details. ( )
  StephanieNicole | Apr 5, 2014 |
That was...an intense book.
I waited patiently for 2 months until I could get my copy and read it in less than 3 hours. And afterward, I just thought 'WOW'.
That ending was painful. And completely perfect. I hated it. I loved it.
Gah!
I can't say too much without giving away spoilers. Your heart will break and you will cry, but there's also an undertone of happiness and hope.
Just read the book. ( )
  summers1630 | Apr 19, 2013 |
This is one book I can't wait to read. I loved the other books. I can picture myself. October 2012. Snuggled on the couch, 2 cats lying next (on) to me, reading this ebook while the room smells of vanilla thanks to the candles I lit, and it is raining outside but we don't care.

Caragh! Make it good. Now I see some of you have already read the ARC,You lucky meanies, so I hope it will be as good as the other 2.5 books/

Finished. Yes i can see that some people think this story is really not very realistic because the main character is the leader even though she is A:very young, and B: a newby in town and C: just does whatever she wants. ;)

Yes I agree with that but I did not mins it so much. More annoying is that she never listens and does not use her head most of the time.

I did enjoy this last book and overall this was one of my favourite series.

3.5 ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |

Gaia succeeds in leading her people to Wharfton and the Enclave, but rebellion there threatens them all just when everything they have dreamed of seems to be at hand.

Caragh O'Brien is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible