Promised (The Birthmarked Trilogy) by Caragh…

Promised (The Birthmarked Trilogy) (edition 2012)

by Caragh M. O'Brien

Member:krau0098
Title:Promised (The Birthmarked Trilogy)
Authors:Caragh M. O'Brien
Info:Roaring Brook Press (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:dystopia, young adult

Promised by Caragh M. O'Brien

I thought, while a good ending to the series, it took me a while to get into it. I don't know if it's because I listened to this while I read all the others, but it wasn't until about half way through that I couldn't stop listening to it. Still, I like the series as a whole and recommend it. ( )
  shannanwithana | Oct 26, 2014 |
Gaia and the people of Sylum have left their poisonous land and are headed for a new life in The Enclave. Gaia hopes the Protectorate will welcome their new DNA, offer them water and sanctuary and accept Leon as his son. Read the rest on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/promised-caragh-m-obrien/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
4.5 stars. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Review on fefferbooks.com! ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
Overall, I was pleased (although not entirely satisfied) with this wrap-up to the Birthmarked Trilogy. This third book is more action-packed, with many plot twists, so it was a fun read. All of the old characters are back. Gaia is almost back to her old self, but she still questions her decisions and morals. Her confidence and strong morals is what made me love her originally. Many of the main plot points are resolved, such as Gaia's relationships with Leon and the Chardo brothers, her conflict with the Protectorate and Mabrother Iris, and the fate of Wharfton and New Sylum. However, much of the conflict is resolved without Gaia's involvement, often without satisfying details. And if you were hoping for some romance, don't get too excited. The romantic climax happens within the first couple chapters.

***Spoilers*** The demise of most of the bad guys is caught "off camera." Since Gaia doesn't see it, we the readers just get to learn about it in passing. The evil, torturous Iris is just killed off in the scuffle WITH NO DETAILS. That left me feeling horribly unsatisfied. Leon's reputation for molesting his sister is never truly resolved other than Gaia doesn't doubt his innocence anymore. I wish Leon had redemption. We don't even get to know much about his final confrontation with his father (although I do feel satisfied with Gaia's final confrontation with him, at least). And what about Gaia's friendship with Emily? Are they friends again? Is Emily even invited to the wedding? I also wish there had been more flashbacks with Gaia's parents or more memories built with her newfound brothers. This book could have been a 5/5, but it glossed over too many details. ( )
  StephanieNicole | Apr 5, 2014 |

Gaia succeeds in leading her people to Wharfton and the Enclave, but rebellion there threatens them all just when everything they have dreamed of seems to be at hand.

Caragh O'Brien is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible