Aristeia: Revolutionary Right by Wayne Basta

Aristeia: Revolutionary Right (edition 2011)

by Wayne Basta, Oliver Wetter (Illustrator)

Series: Aristeia (1)

Title:Aristeia: Revolutionary Right
Authors:Wayne Basta
Other authors:Oliver Wetter (Illustrator)
Info:Grey Gecko Press (2011), Hardcover, 362 pages
Collections:Your library, Science Fiction/Dystopian

Aristeia: Revolutionary Right by Wayne Basta

A full-length military sci fi novel with a realistic revolution.

Somewhere between early Star Wars and Patriot, and that's the best description of the book I can think of. Main character Maarkean Ocaitchi, a former Navy starfighter pilot, only wants to rescue his little sister from an unwarranted execution. He believes in his government, he fought to protect it, and he has difficulty believing it's as corrupt as Sister tells him. When she's condemned as a traitor for a political protest gone wrong and not her fault, he has little choice but to break her from prison… and everything flows from there, until Maark is the only hope of a planet under seige.

This week I started and discarded a couple indie pubbed sci fi books without finishing them, so this one came as a pleasant surprise. Sure, there are a few typos and such in the text, but I found at least as many in the NY pubbed books I've read this year. More importantly, Revolutionary Right has a strong plot, good characters, a central theme, and workmanlike prose, more than normally found in either indie or NY books.

I enjoyed the read immensely. 4.5 stars. ( )
  GunnarGrey | Mar 4, 2015 |
I enjoyed Aristeia. At the beginning I was disappointed at the similarities to Star wars and Serenity. Maarkean is very Hans Solo-ish, reluctant hero getting a military title, getting a job from a meeting in a bar, a hairy alien called a Kowwok(Ewok/ Wookie.), old but reliable ship, the Alliance.... But eventually I forgot about them most of the time. I enjoyed the dialogue and the character development, overall a good read.
  TinaC1 | Oct 26, 2013 |
This is a good read for a first novel. It is a retelling of the American Revolution on a planetary scale. The problems between the Alliance and the outer planets are the same, with the same proximate causes and the same results. Maarkean is a good protagonist, in position to take over Washington's role. ( )
  bgknighton | May 29, 2013 |
A very good science fiction book. Lots of action and well written. Keeps your interest. ( )
  roadway2000 | Jan 26, 2013 |
I can't say that this was hugely original in a lot of its ideas. The technology was mostly things we've heard before - blasters, hyperdrive, tractor beams etc. The aliens were new, but with a possible Star Warsishness about them? The whole idea of criminals fighting a corrupt Alliance was very Firefly (not that that's necessarily a bad thing).
The writing itself, though, was very good. The characters were likeable and interesting, the storyline was eventful, and the action scenes were particularly good. A pretty well rounded story.

Reviewed as a librarything ebook giveaway ( )
  Trojanprincess | Jan 19, 2013 |

Grey Gecko Press

2 editions of this book were published by Grey Gecko Press.

Editions: 0983618569, 0983618585

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,885,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible