The Last Command by Timothy Zahn
Recently added byWings3496, KittyFiend, kilroy11235, Binderman, private library, MeijiJidai, PhxDan, Merandah

English (16)  French (1)  All languages (17)
Some people reread Tolkien every year. Me, I'm not quite that classy... :)

In Book 3 of Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy, the fledgling New Republic is on the brink of destruction after facing the brilliant and dangerous Grand Admiral Thrawn. Thrawn's discovery of the Emperor's cloning facilities has given him all the troops he needs to populate the massive fleet he obtained at the end of the previous book, and his assault on Coruscant has all but cut off the Republic's capital from the rest of the galaxy.

Perhaps more dangerous still is the mad cloned Jedi Joruus C'Baoth, whose determination to collect Luke, Leia, and Leia's infant children as his apprentices will not be denied. When Mara Jade promises to take Luke and Han to the Emperor's cloning site, they find more than they've bargained for. And with the Emperor's last command ringing in Mara's ears, the decisions she faces may be the most dangerous of all.

You can practically hear the Star Wars fanfare whenever you open up one of Zahn's books. Although today's teens have grown up with the prequel trilogy and the Clone Wars TV show, anyone with a soft spot for the original trilogy will find a lot to love about these books. ( )
  RussianLoveMachine | Feb 18, 2014 |
After the first book in the series, I was not totally on board with these books. It was fun, but I didn't really get a full sense of what was happening. With books two and three however, I was totally hooked. All the plots payoff big here. Thrawn does not let us down after promising so much to the reader early on, and C'baoth proves to be a much cooler villain than I had really expected. It was one of those really satisfying pop books that I'll likely come back to one day. ( )
  nesum | Apr 27, 2013 |
Here it is, the final installment of the Thrawn trilogy. Questions are answered, alliances are settled, battles are won. This is what I want out of a Star Wars book and a series. We finally see what Thrawn's grand plan is, and see his first successes. We also see C'baoth's ultimate scheme to win over control of Luke, Leia, AND Mara Jade and turn them into his willing servants. This is powerful storytelling that almost surpasses the original trilogy (again, ALMOST), and absolutely surpasses the prequel trilogy a hundred times over. This is the story I would have much rather seen in theaters as a follow up to the series I grew up on.

Also, it has to be said, I wish I'd read this first. Going back and reading other Expanded Universe stories after this series has left me wanting. Even authors who claim to have coordinated with Zahn as he was completing his trilogy seem to have just neglected details of his story for their own, inferior stories. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Apr 23, 2013 |
I am not a huge Star Wars reader, but I enjoyed this series quite a bit. I thought it fit well into the Star wars universe and stayed true to the feel of the movies. I like Zahn's books more than others, though I still enjoy the earliest novels the best. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 19, 2013 |

Timothy Zahnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jung,TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all those who helped make these books possible, especially
Anna Zahn
Betsy Mitchell
Lucy Autrey Wilson
and, of course, the man whose vision started it all,
George Lucas
Gliding through the blackness of deep space, the Imperial Star Destroyer Chimaera pointed its mighty arrowhead shape toward the dim star of its target system, three thousandths of a light-year away.
The embattled Republic reels from the attacks of Grand Admiral Thrawn, who has marshaled the remnants of the imperial forces and riven the Rebels back with an abominable technology recovered from the Emperor's secret fortress: clone soldiers.

As Thrawn mounts his final siege, Han and Chewbacca struggle to form a coalition of smugglers for a last-ditch attack against the Empire, while Leia holds the Alliance together and prepares for the birth of her Jedi twins. Overwhelmed by the ships and clones at Thrawn's command, the Republic has one last hope- sending a small force, ed by Luke Skywalker, into the very stronghold that houses Thrawn's terrible cloning machines.

There a final danger awaits, as the Dark Jedi C'baoth directs the battle against the Rebels and builds his strength to finish what he had already started: the destruction of Luke Skywalker.

In the conclusion to the trilogy, Luke and Leia face personal danger as they defend themselves and the newborn Jedi twins against the twisted ambitions of the Dark Jedi C'baoth. 300,000 first printing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:27 -0400)

It is five years after the events of Return of The Jedi. The fragile New Republic reels from the attacks of Grand Admiral Thrawn, who has not only rallied the remaining Imperial forces but has driven the rebels back with an abominable new technology: clone soldiers. Hopes are dim as Thrawn mounts a final siege against the Republic. While Han and Chewbacca struggle to form a wary alliance of smugglers in a last-ditch attack against the Empire, Leia keeps the Alliance together and prepares for the birth of her Jedi twins. But the Empire has too many ships and too many clones to combat. The Republic's only hope lies in sending a small force, led by Luke, into the very stronghold that houses Thrawn's terrible cloning machines. There a final danger awaits. The Dark Jedi C'baoth schemes in his secret fortress, directing the battle against the rebels, nursing his insanity and building his strength to finish what he had already started - the destruction of Luke Skywalker.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,238,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible