The Venetian Contract by Marina Fiorato

The Venetian Contract (edition 2012)

by Marina Fiorato

Title:The Venetian Contract
Authors:Marina Fiorato
Info:John Murray Publishers Ltd (2012), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:historical fiction, plague

The Venetian Contract by Marina Fiorato

When the author of this book described not one, but two, characters as being so overwhelmingly attractive that they must wear masks or disguises to avoid inflaming the passions of strangers, I feared that I had fallen into cheesy romance novel territory. Fortunately, the romance is a pretty small portion of the book and it doesn't again sink to the ridiculous level of the masks. My one other quibble about the book is that, for a woman whose skin is repeatedly described as the color of cinnamon, the cover picture doesn't come close to being accurate.

I thought the book was quite well written and researched and the plot kept me intrigued throughout. The majority of the book deals with an outbreak of the plague threatening Venice and the building of a major church. I really enjoyed the book's historical details and the descriptions of both Constantinople and, especially, Venice. The history of medical practices at this time was also very interesting to me. I am glad I read the book and would be happy to read more by this author.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher. ( )
  fhudnell | Jan 8, 2015 |
I adore historical fiction and I adore science, especially the medical sciences, so this book was supposed to be a treat for me. Mix in a strong female protagonist and interesting descriptions of historical medical science and it's supposed to be a hit, right?

Unfortunately, the book is marred by stilted, unrealistic dialogue -- not just by Feyra but by nearly all of the characters. So much so that the uncomfortably unrealistic dialogue distracted me from the book and made it a chore to finish the book.

What I did enjoy were the descriptions of how medical science was handled in 1500s Italy. Just amazing how the doctors wore those costumes and that mask! (I Googled some images; wow!) ( )
  amandacb | Jul 10, 2014 |

1576. Five years after the defeat of the Ottoman Empire, a ship steals unnoticed into Venice bearing a deadly cargo. A man more dead than alive, disembarks and staggers into Piazza San Marco. He brings a gift to Venice from Constantinople. Within days the city is infected with bubonic plague - and the Turkish Sultan has his revenge.… (more)

17 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,699,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible