Dominic by William Steig

Dominic

by William Steig

278440,656 (4.29)1 / 12

In the book Dominic a dog named Dominic goes on an amazing adventure. He is bored of his normal life so, he decides to leave his house. But what he doesn't know is he is about to get the adventure of a life time. He meets many different people and defeats bad guys. He becomes famous from his deeds and well known as the good guy. If your tired of your usual adventure books this is the perfect book for you. It has action, comedy, drama, sadness, and a little romance. He receives many gifts and a special weapon that helps him defeat all the bad guys.

In my opinion this is one of my favorite books. I read this book when I was about seven years old. It really is one of the greatest books ever because it hold so many good things you want in a book. If i could i would reread this book again. I really do recommend this book for all ages, it is a very great book the just sticks to you. William Steig did a very good job on this book. I look forward to reading more books from him. ( )
  Dylan.miller19 | May 18, 2012 |
Are you craving an adventure? Are you sick of the same old boring life? I am! Hi! I’m Dominic and when I left my house I had no idea what was in store for me. I’m so glad I decided to go on this adventure and if you want to know what happens you’ll have to read Dominic by William Steig.
  sasgrade4 | Dec 16, 2009 |
This was my absolute favorite book for several years in elementary school. I must have gotten it out of our school library, oh, five or six times. After I left my elementary school I didn't read it again for several years, but then in my freshman year of high school I stumbled upon a copy in a used book store. I was overjoyed! I read it again and it was just as good as I remembered. Highly recommended! ( )
  yummyfishmeister | Sep 14, 2008 |
Dominic the dog goes on an odessey ( )
  bettyjo | Aug 18, 2006 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374418268, Paperback)

Dominic is a one-of-a-kind dog. One day this exuberant, restless, freedom-loving fellow decides there isn't enough going on in his neighborhood to satisfy his need for adventure. And off he goes, with an assortment of hats (rakish, dashing, solemn, and martial), his precious piccolo, and a few other things, leaving a note on his door:
Dear Friends, I am leaving rather in a hurry to see more of the world, so I have no time to say goodbye to you individually. I embrace you all and sniff you with love. I don't know when I'll be back. But back I will be. Dominic.
On the road, this curious canine is lighthearted, open to every option, all senses aquiver. It's not long before he encounters a prophetic witch-alligator, (who had "many more teeth than necessary for any ordinary dental purpose"); a catfish who gives him a long, sharp spear that will make him invincible in serious combat; and even the infamous Doomsday Gang, "who robbed, ravaged, cheated, attacked innocent creatures at large and travelers especially, and did all sorts of damaging mischief." Dominic remains undaunted throughout, for "challenges were his delight. Whatever life offered was, this way or that, a test of one's skills, one's faculties; and he enjoyed proving equal to these tests."

As he continues his journey, we find Dominic to be considerate, compassionate, generous, and philosophical. As he ponders the nature of death, the nature of wealth, the role of art in our lives, the nature of good and evil, and the yearning for true love, readers are left with a feeling that life is basically good, and even splendid:

"What a wonderful world!" thought Dominic. "How perfect!" Had it been up to him when things were first made, he wouldn't have made them a whit different. Every leaf was in its proper place. Pebbles, stones, flowers, all were just as they ought to be. Water ran where it should run. They sky was properly blue. All sounds were in tune. Everything had its appropriate smell.
Kids will adore the magical, comical, action-packed adventures of this remarkable dog, and readers of any age will come away from William Steig's Dominic somehow changed. An ALA Notable Book. (Ages 8 and older, and a wonderful read-aloud for younger children) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:16 -0400)

Dominic the dog finds many exciting adventures and great danger fighting the Doomsday Gang after he decides to see the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible