Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce

Some Kind of Fairy Tale (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Graham Joyce

Member:ted74ca
Title:Some Kind of Fairy Tale
Authors:Graham Joyce
Info:Anchor (2013), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:****1/2

Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce (2012)

An amazing contemporary fairy tale. A girl disappears some time before her 16th birthday. She is gone for 20 years and just as suddenly returns. This great book is about Tara and her family and friends. The way it unfolds seems completely true, the fantastic and the mundane. Of course no one believes her, but she is so sure, and the strange thing is, she hasn't aged a bit.
When she left, her poor boyfriend was unfairly accused and has had a rough life since. He lost the friendship of her brother and now she has returned, they are reunited in the puzzle to solve that is Tara.
There are undercurrents and side stories of those related to the family and all are richly drawn from human nature and our gadget and entertainment filled lives. You can see how everything described could be possible.
I am happy to have found a new author to devour, and I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy, or just a well written story. Please be advised there is some profanity, but this just makes it more real. ( )
  cynrtst | May 13, 2016 |
Tara, at age 16, disappears and destroys the lives of those around her. Her family is devastated, her boyfriend is a suspect, the small town is rocked. Twenty years later, she shows up on her parents doorstep on Christmas Day, looking like she hasn't aged very much and constantly wearing dark glasses.

I became very entranced by this book. I didn't want to put it down. Was Tara with the mystical people or is she compensating for some horror in her past? I couldn't wait to find out. The characters were very fleshed out. The book was beautifully written. I truly found this a good and charming read. ( )
  bookwormteri | Apr 29, 2016 |
A realistic and beautifully written exploration of what might happen if the tale of Rip Van Winkle (or any of the older stories of people being taken 'Under the Hill') happened in modern-day England.

Twenty years ago, 16-yr-old Tara disappeared after a fight with her boyfriend. Although the boyfriend was a suspect, nothing was ever proven, and her family was left to mourn and to come to terms with Tara's presumed death.

Now, Tara has shown up on her parents' doorstep. At first, she gives a sketchy story about having traveled the world for the last 20 years, but soon she tells her brother, Peter, a story of having gone with a handsome man on a white horse, to a Fairyland that resembled a free-love commune, with magic.

Naturally, Peter convinces her to see a shrink.

While the book is well done, I personally felt that there was too much psychological analysis and not enough action. I wanted to feel more magic and less mundane, domestic detail. I understand why Joyce made the decisions he did here, I just didn't end up loving the result - although I did like the book.

The end was well done, with a sense of the inevitable that fits both the spirit of the folklore and the situation set up in the novel. ( )
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
A very well written modern day fairy tale.
A young girl disappears and then comes back home 20 years later, apparently no older--or is she?
The people she left behind were destroyed by her disappearance and find it very hard to accept her return, especially when she tells them where she's been. She's obviously got amnesia, or is perhaps lying. She talks to a professional who has a reasonable, psychological explanation for everything she tells him.
Slowly moving, well constructed tale of lives and relationships changed and destroyed--and something eerie just out of reach, but trying to get in. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
This was an asked for Christmas present - and I am very pleased with my choice.
As an avid listeber to folk music I am very familiar with the "gone away with the fairies" genre of song and this brings a tale right up to date; telling the story and then examining the impact of a retuned abductee on friends and family; including a detailed psychiatric investigation.
This is the first book of Graham Joyce's I have read, but certainly won't be the last. He writes equally well about about the fantasy, human and scientific aspects of the story and chooses very apposite chapter headings setting the story against the earlier tales and ideas. Recommended ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |

Graham Joyceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carella, MariaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mahon, EmilyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my daughter, Ella
In the deepest part of England, there is a place where everything is at fault.

WHAT REALLY HAPPENED TO TARA MARTIN?

WAS IT ALL JUST A FAIRY TALE?

Twenty years ago, teenaged Tara Martin disappeared in the dense — some say enchanted — forest known as the Outwoods on the edge of a small town in central England. Her parents and her brother, Peter, feared the unthinkable; her troubled boyfriend, Richie, was the last known person to be with her, but there were no signs of any wrongdoing. Police and neighbors searched the Outwoods for days, but weeks turned into months and her family slowly gave up hope. Tara's disappearance was left unsolved.

Now, twenty years after her disappearance, a knock at the door on Christmas Day brings an overwhelming sight: Tara, disheveled and exhausted but very much alive. Her explanation for her absence comes hesitantly, and does not seem logical — especially when she confides to Peter, now a forty-year-old husband and father, that if she were to tell the full story no one would ever speak to her again. What is most unsettling is that Tara looks barely older than the day she vanished.

Tara's tale — slowly revealed — is either magical or delusional, dreamlike or terrifying. For Richie, who never recovered from the disgrace of suspicion, Tara's return offers the chance to regain the love of his life, although for all the longing he's felt for twenty years, a new blackness seems to overtake him with Tara 's renewed presence. As those who love and missed Tara attempt to understand where she's been for two decades, they begin the ask the same question: Has Tara lost her sanity, or have they?

Acclaimed author Graham Joyce's mesmerizing new novel centers around the disappearance of a young girl from a small town in the heart of England. Her sudden return twenty years later, and the mind-bending tale of where she's been, will challenge our very perception of truth.

For twenty years after Tara Martin disappeared from her small English town, her parents and her brother, Peter, have lived in denial of the grim fact that she was gone for good. And then suddenly, on Christmas Day, the doorbell rings at her parents' home and there, disheveled and slightly peculiar looking, Tara stands. It's a miracle, but alarm bells are ringing for Peter. Tara's story just does not add up. And, incredibly, she barely looks a day older than when she vanished.

Award-winning author Graham Joyce is a master of exploring new realms of understanding that exist between dreams and reality, between the known and unknown. Some Kind of Fairy Tale is a unique journey every bit as magical as its title implies, and as real and unsentimental as the world around us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:47 -0400)

After missing for twenty years, Tara Martin appears on her parents doorstep barely a day older than when she vanished.

237 wanted3 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,903,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible