The Lost World by Michael Crichton

The Lost World (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Michael Crichton (Author)

Member:mfagan
Title:The Lost World
Authors:Michael Crichton (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (1996), 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Lost World by Michael Crichton (1995)

English (67)  French (3)  Spanish (1)  All (71)
This book was absolutely a page-turner. It was scary in its own way, because some of the dinosaurs definitely acted as "monsters" for the characters. Sure, they weren't really monsters, in the sense of the bogeyman or ghosts or something like that. But, maybe along the same vein as Godzilla being viewed as a monster (although without the laser breath). Creatures of the past, never existing together with man, brought back to life and set loose on a remote island.

Levine and Dr. Ian Malcolm tend to be in some kind of odd contest to see who can frustrate the reader more, but at the same time those frustrations drive a lot of the uneasiness, the suspense, of the book and trust me...Michael Crichton knows how to put you on the edge of your seat just by the things the characters say and when he chooses to cut to another scene. I loved that.

The action and sense of danger was definitely there, and there was no guarantee about who, if anyone, would be safe and make it out alive. So there was the constant feeling that anyone, from a favorite to a despised character, might have an equal chance of living or dying. That definitely worked in the book's favor.

It's been many years since I watched Jurassic Park, and I have never read the book (which came before this one). However, I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything, like there was something I needed to understand but couldn't understand because I hadn't read the first book. They're definitely tied together, for sure, but the book is written in such a way that a first-time reader can pick up the second book without realizing it's a sequel to another book and not feel as though they're missing something important. For all intents and purposes to the reader, it really is a self-contained story despite the obvious connections and references to the first book (which get explained well enough that it's not a huge mystery or source of confusion at all).

I think the biggest surprise in the book, however, was Sarah Harding. She definitely shined and I had no idea, no expectation, that this book was going to contain such a message of girl power as it did. Not only is she basically She-Ra without the magic sword, she was also a great mentor to one of the two kids that ended up stowing away for this dangerous and scary trip (boy are they likely going to have nightmares for a while after this). I loved that Sarah was such a good role model and mentor to Kelly. Some of the things she says are very important for young girls to hear, and even not-so-young women.

Another thing that I enjoyed about the book very much was that it didn't talk down to or about the child characters. Kelly and Arby were active, important, even vital members of the group. Without them, the adults in their group would've died long before Sarah Harding joined them. Even after that, they had their moments as being savior(s) of the hour more than once. They were smart kids, and while sometimes the adults did underestimate them, it was clear that when the chips were down and the kids were absolutely needed nobody was underestimating them in those moments but rather counting on them just like they were counting on the other adult members of the group.

While that might seem unfair, to expect kids to take on adult responsibilities whether or not they are capable of doing them, it was definitely not your average situation they were stuck in and if they hadn't relied on the kids and listened to them in those moments, they would have all died. Including the kids, in a lot of those instances.

Really, the only contention I have is some of the scientific misinformation that was given, and the terminology that was misused by all of the science-oriented characters. Many times they used the word "theory" instead of "hypothesis" when talking about scientific endeavors and research, even when they were talking among themselves as adults, and that just is not something that actual scientists are likely to do. While it's true that in the colloquial usage of the terms, they're interchangeable, in science they are absolutely not. I thought it was unrealistic. I can, perhaps, pass off some of the scientific misinformation as either being accurate for the time period this was written and took place, or that's where some more of the "fiction" aspect of the "science fiction" genre came into play. But, I still heavily side-eye it.

Still, it was a fast, interesting read that didn't skimp on the entertainment or the terror and gore. Great book and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys sci-fi and/or dinosaurs. ( )
  madam_razz | Jan 20, 2017 |
Everything goes wrong and dinosaurs eat people. This was a rehash, and not a very good one.

I can see why the movie added lots of people [to get eaten!]. Jurassic Park was cool, this was tired. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Similar to the movie is some ways, different in others. An enjoyable adventure. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jun 22, 2016 |
The Lost World begins six years after the original story. Rumors of the dinosaur experiment persist, and as The Lost World begins, those rumors have piqued the interest of Richard Levine, an arrogant paleontologist from Berkeley. Convinced there was a second dinosaur hatchery, called Site B, located on nearby Costa Rican Isla Sorna, Levine sets out to find it. He does but quickly becomes trapped there, alone. Well, except for the dinosaurs.

Leading the rescue party to Isla Sorna is Ian Malcolm the only character in this book from the previous novel. Joining Malcolm are an engineer, mechanic, field biologist, and a couple of adolescent stowaways. There is also a trio of biotechnology bad guys who follow Malcolm and friends to Costa Rica intending to steal dinosaur eggs and patent their genetic code.

While Crichton handles the recap smoothly, reminding us of the genetic research that allowed dinosaurs to be reintroduced on the island, he’s clearly off his stride here, right from the start. Without any need to build scientific plausibility into the plot, which he successfully did in Jurassic Park, Crichton seems uninterested in the science of his own story. Nevertheless I still enjoyed it. For clarity, terror, and sheer grisliness, the action surpasses anything in the original book. The Lost World is filled with the things we loved about the first novel, the action, the detail, the suspense, and it still grabs the reader from the opening and keeps them interested until the end. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |
I loved it! If the movie had been like the book, it would have been fantastic. I am so glad I finally got around to reading this! ( )
  LenaR0307 | Jun 14, 2016 |

Michael Crichtonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." Albert Einstein
"Deep in the chaotic regime, slight changes in structure almost always cause vast changes in behavior. Complex controllable bahavior seems precluded." Stuart Kauffman
"Sequelae are inherently unpredictable." Ian Malcolm
To Carolyn Conger
The Santa Fe Institute was housed in a series of buildings on Canyon Road which had formerly been a convent, and the Institute's seminars were held in a room which had served as a chapel.

It is now six years since the secret disaster at Jurassic Park, six years since the extraordinary dream of science and imagination came to a crashing end - the dinosaurs destroyed, the park dismantled, the island indefinitely closed to the public.

There are rumours that something survived.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 034540288X, Mass Market Paperback)

Written in the wake of Jurassic Park's phenomenal box-office success, The Lost World seems as much a guidebook for Hollywood types hard at work on the franchise's followup as it is a legitimate sci-fi thriller. Which begs the inevitable questions: Is the plot a rehash of the first book? Sure it is, with the action unfolding on yet another secluded island, the mysterious "Site B." Is the cast of characters basically the same? Absolutely, from a freshly minted pair of cute, compu-savvy kids right down to the neatly exhumed chaos theorist Ian Malcolm (who was presumed dead at the close of JP). But is it fun to read? You betcha. Hollywood (and Michael Crichton) keeps telling us the same old stories for a very good reason: we like them. And the pulp SF formula Crichton has mastered with Jurassic Park and The Lost World is no exception. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

People It is now six years since the secret disaster at Jurassic Park, six years since the extraordinary dream of science and imagination came to a crashing end--the dinosaurs destroyed, the park dismantled, the island indefinitely closed to the public. There are rumors that something has survived.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,257,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible