Scandal Wears Satin by Loretta Chase

Scandal Wears Satin (edition 2012)

by Loretta Chase

Member:addictofromance
Title:Scandal Wears Satin
Authors:Loretta Chase
Info:Avon (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:Historical Romance

Scandal Wears Satin by Loretta Chase

Perhaps not as good as #1 in the Dressmakers series, but this book is filled with classic Loretta Chase humor, fun characters, and a bit of adventure. Yes, Harry is a bit of a dim bulb (but he's really quite clever in his own way), and Sophie is a bit of a bossy Bess, but it's lots of fun to watch these two tangle.

And please tell me that somehow, some way, poor Lady Clara will wind up with her own HEA.

Favorite quotes:

“That’s what brings in the customers: the combination of gossip and the intricate detail about the dresses, all related as drama. It has the same effect on women, I’m told, as looking at naked women has on men.”

“Go away,” he said. “Do you know you’ve almost no clothes on?”
“Never mind. I need—”
“Never mind? Listen to me, Miss Innocence. There are many things a man can ‘never mind.’ A nearly naked woman isn’t one of them.”

“Clara will break him to bridle,” Longmore said. “And if she can’t cure his wild ways, who knows? Maybe he’ll ride into a ditch or get run over by a post chaise, and she’ll be a young widow. Do try to look on the bright side.”

“Just listen,” she said. “You can’t kill him in cold blood.”
“Whyever not?”
Ye gods grant me patience. “Because he’ll be dead,” she said as patiently as she could, “and Lady Clara’s reputation will be stained forever. Do not, I pray you, do anything, Lord Longmore. Leave this to us.”
“Us.”
“My sisters and me.”
“What do you propose? Dressing him to death? Tying him up and making him listen to fashion descriptions?”
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
For years Sophy has dedicated her life to the dressmaker business along with her two sisters. Sophy's talent lies in being able to turn herself into looking like anything and being able to convince anyone off of the street to com into their shop. Shophy has been focusing her attention lately on the recent scandal that threaten to put their shop out of business. Then Longmore's sister runs into a spot of trouble, and flees London. So she joins up with Longmore to help search for her. What Sophy doesn't expect is to find a hidden passion that surfaces between herself and Longmore. For quite a while now there has been a hidden tension that has existed between the two, but now its like a bursting flame only wanting to break free...
Scandal wears satin is the second in the most recent series by this author. I really loved the first one and so I had some high standards for this one as well. Overall it was the kind of book you can relax with but not one that will be a 'unforgettable romance'. I mean there were parts here and there that were funny and exciting in ways, but I felt like something was missing out of the relationship. I felt like there was more focus on Clara than there was on Harry and Sophy. I have enjoyed seeing Clara and I hope we get to see a happy ending for her, however, its a bit frustrating wanting to see more of the relationship between Harry and Sophy. I think the side story of Clara really railroaded the love story here and it didn't really blossom into any good romance that I am used to seeing with this author. I definitely will read more from this author because I just love the stories I read from her so far. However I think she could have focused a bit more on Harry and Sophy over Clara. I just thought it was a bit too much. But overall not a bad read, it was enjoyable at moments, but it just wasn't a complete package that I was expecting. ( )
  addictofromance | Feb 26, 2013 |
pre-ordered
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
Loretta Chase does it again! This time Sophie Noirot has hero, the Earl of Longmore tied up in knots as he tries to keep up with her while trying to find his sister Clara who has bolted from London to avoid marrying a fortune hunter. Sophie does cartwheels around him due to her amazing ability with disguises and flair for drama, whether in the shop or with a pen. In other words - he is a lost man. Her beauty and intellect had him from their first meeting. Is she a strong heroine? You bet! Despite falling in love with her, can Longmore overcome society's condemnation of an aristocrat marrying a dressmaker? How can it work? (It helps that her sister married a duke). The real crux is will his mother ever accept her? I loved this book and it was a pleasure to see Sophie in action - she's an original! I only wish Longmore was more of an intellectual match for her, rather than someone who believes beating someone to a pulp is the way to solve everything! At any rate, this was an entertaining historical! ( )
  ktleyed | Jul 22, 2012 |
Sophie Noiret's older sister recently married a duke. But the sisters are still trying to keep their dressmaking shop running. Lord Longmore finds himself strangely drawn to Sophie. When his sister Clara, the sisters' best customer, is trapped into becoming engaged to a cad, Longmore and Sophie join forces to stop the wedding.

Fun but not a keeper. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jul 7, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062100319, Mass Market Paperback)

From the Journals of Sophia Noirot: A dress is a weapon. It must dazzle his eye, raise his temperature . . . and empty his purse.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:00 -0400)

A blue-eyed innocent on the outside and a shark on the inside, dressmaker Sophy Noirot could sell sand to Bedouins. Selling Maison Noirot's beautiful designs to aristocratic ladies is a little harder, especially since a recent family scandal has made an enemy of one of society's fashion leaders. Turning scandal to the shop's advantage requires every iota of Sophy's skills, leaving her little patience for a big, reckless rake like the Earl of Longmore. The gorgeous lummox can't keep more than one idea in his head at a time, and his idea is taking off all of Sophy's clothes. But when Longmore's sister, Noirot's wealthiest, favorite customer, runs away, Sophy can't let him bumble after her on his own. In hot pursuit with the one man who tempts her beyond reason, she finds desire has never slipped on so smoothly . . .… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible