Bad Little Falls: A Novel (Mike Bowditch…

Bad Little Falls: A Novel (Mike Bowditch Mysteries) (edition 2012)

by Paul Doiron

Member:caitemaire
Title:Bad Little Falls: A Novel (Mike Bowditch Mysteries)
Authors:Paul Doiron
Info:Minotaur Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, random, Maine, AtlCo.Li

Bad Little Falls by Paul Doiron

Paul Doiron is an excellent writer who takes the reader right into the Maine setting he is writing about. The story is set in Washington County in Maine where Mike is helping a beautiful woman with a dark past and her troubled young son who is growing up in a broken home which is riddled with drug and alcohol abuse.

As Mike is deep in the middle of a murder investigation which happens during a severe snowstorm, Doiron's description of the storm makes you feel like you are also a victim of this extreme weather condition.

This is the third book in the Mike Bowditch series. I love reading about Mike and his flawed personality who continually grows in each book of the series. He is constantly searching for his soul mate but can't seem to get his act together. But these characteristics make him a very lovable game warden.

Read Bad Little Falls and you will not be disappointed. The book is a real page turner packed with adventure! ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
What caught my eye is a note from Nevada Barr on the book sleeve. I figured if she liked it I couldn't go wrong. Not a bad mystery. I'm only giving it a 3 because it jumped around some and I prefer to have my characters a little more in depth. But I would read another one. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Mar 1, 2016 |
Well plotted story with lots of threads and interesting characters, largely set in real Maine locations. ( )
  edwardsgt | Mar 16, 2015 |
Kindle
  daleaz | Sep 15, 2014 |
I finished this novel sitting at home, warm and cozy with a cup of coffee -- a great way to listen to a book about a blizzard. Bad Little Falls by Paul Doiron is the story of Maine game warden Mike Bowditch. He's been sent into exile, Down East, a remote outpost on the Canadian border. He's lonely, frustrated, and not making friends. Game wardens aren't popular with the hunters in the area, making it a very tough assignment.

Having dinner with the local veterinarian (what passes for his social life, these days), Bowditch is called to the cabin of a local couple. In a raging blizzard, a half-frozen man has appeared at their door, raving about another person, lost in the swirling snow. After a long, cold search they find the body -- but it's not the storm that did him in.

All in all, this is a good mystery. There are some holes and there are more than a few loose ends at the end. I like that about the story; nothing seems more fake than a tidy confession that wraps everything up in a bow. I found plenty of local color and enough talk of snow and ice to send me to the kitchen for a hot toddy. The mystery unfolds in fits and starts, as you'd expect. There's danger, a little bad romance, and bad things happen to some dogs -- and people.

My favorite character is Lucas, an odd little 12-year-old boy with coke-bottle glasses and the sort of bent outlook on life you'd expect, growing up in a family twisted by addiction and tragedy. His notebooks provide insight into the story and Bowditch's affection for the boy puts them both in terrible danger.

The audio portion is excellent. The accents are wicked good and it's easy enough to tell the characters apart. No distracting music and sound effects, just a good story, a competent reader (Henry Leyva) with voices and accents that fit the characters.

The problem with the book, for me, is Bowditch. What an idiot! He is constantly making the wrong choice, jumping to the wrong conclusion, and driving headfirst into brick walls. To begin with, I don't have a lot of respect for guys who can't keep it in their pants, and Bowditch knows he's making a bad decision! Every step of the way, he tells himself it's a bad idea and he does it anyway. The fact that things turn out okay in the end makes no difference. If he's this thick in every book, I wouldn't keep reading. Of course, that means I'll need to check out a few more, just to be sure. The series includes The Poacher's Son and Trespasser ( )
  LisaLynne | Feb 5, 2013 |

Anthony- and Edgar-award nominated author Paul Doiron delivers another “masterpiece of high-octane narrative” (Booklist) with his newest harrowing thriller about the hunt for a murderer at the height of a major snowstorm

Maine game warden Mike Bowditch has been sent into exile,
transferred by his superiors to a remote outpost on the Canadian
border. When a blizzard descends on the coast, Bowditch is
called to the rustic cabin of a terrified couple. A raving and halffrozen
man has appeared at their door, claiming his friend is lost
in the storm. But what starts as a rescue mission in the wilderness
soon becomes a baffling murder investigation. The dead man is a
notorious drug dealer, and state police detectives suspect it was
his own friend who killed him. Bowditch isn’t so sure, but his
vow not to interfere in the case is tested when he finds himself
powerfully attracted to a beautiful woman with a dark past and
a troubled young son. The boy seems to know something about
what really happened in the blizzard, but he is keeping his secrets
locked in a cryptic notebook, and Mike fears for the safety of the
strange child. Meanwhile, an anonymous tormentor has decided
to make the new warden’s life a living hell. Alone and outgunned,
Bowditch turns for assistance to his old friend, the legendary
bush pilot Charley Stevens. But in this snowbound landscape—
where smugglers wage blood feuds by night—help seems very
far away indeed. If Bowditch is going to catch a killer, he must
survive on his own wits and discover strength he never knew he
possessed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:02 -0400)

Summoned to a rustic cabin during a blizzard, Maine game warden Mike Bowdich embarks on a dangerous investigation involving a notorious drug dealer, a beautiful woman with a dark past, and her troubled young son.

51 wanted2 pay3 pay

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,793,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible