Breed: A Novel by Chase Novak

Breed: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Chase Novak

Member:titania86
Title:Breed: A Novel
Authors:Chase Novak
Info:Mulholland Books (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read :), Reviewed, Signed books, ARC
Rating:****1/2
Tags:horror, fertility

Breed by Chase Novak (2012)

Not bad, I think it was obviously written to be made into a movie as it seems that's the way this genre of books is headed in this day and age. Decent writing, so I'm going to rate on that quality alone and some intense situations. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
This was just ok. I saw an ad for the book on the subway going to work. It was endorsed by both NPR and Stephen King so I thought it might be good. Not as good as I had hoped. Oh well, onto the next book... ( )
  Charlie-Ravioli | Jan 18, 2016 |
A decent read with a surprising ending. Can't say that I saw it coming and I was pleasantly surprised. I was actually giggling a bit because it was just 100% not a thought in my mind that that was gonna happen. As I read it I thought, "Well that escalated quickly.." so I couldn't help but giggle. Nonetheless, strong ending :]

One thing I really disliked about this book though (which has nothing to do with the story itself so it did not impact my rating) is the fact that there's NO CHAPTERS! Ehhhhh..

I was reading this as an "in-between" book as well as a book I was going to take with me when I travel. I was planning on starting it here where I live and was hoping to read it through out my trip while visiting my family, as I wanted a book I wouldn't mind getting interrupted on or one I wouldn't mind not being able to pick up the few days I'm away. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. I read through this book in 2 days. I leave for my trip tomorrow evening. Whoopsies! I also chose this one particularly to read a "Halloween/October" themed book and did it fit the part! While this was an entertaining, quick read, I don't think I'll be picking it up again but I did enjoy it enough to where I would recommend reading it once! So because of that, I might do a giveaway with my copy (which is in mint condition because I'm a book snob) to let someone else enjoy this adventure :]

*FOREWARNING: If you're sensitive to animal killings like I am, there are a few parts in the book that will make you wince. Chase Novak by no means drags out these scenes. They're quick and to the point. I would still recommend this read if it interests you, but I would have liked a warning myself :P

** To See My FULL Review Visit: The Nerdy Bookmark - A Not-So-Serious Book Review Blog ** ( )
  kay_reads | Nov 17, 2015 |
But at that moment, Adam tightens his grip on Michael’s hand, and Alice likewise squeezes his other hand, and with the childish, trusting touch of these twins, his fate is sealed. He cannot and he will not betray them.

I have to start this review by saying that I don't normally read horror books. Horror is not my favorite genre but I am always willing to read different things. Oddly enough when I finished this I didn't feel like it was horror enough. Yes there were some really creepy and freaky things but for most of this book I was a bit bored.

This book follows a family who is definitely not normal after the mother and father undergo odd fertility treatments to conceive the children, Adam and Alice. I never liked the mother and father, Alex and Leslie. The more I read this the more I hated them. I didn't really like some of the side effects of what they were going through (like the memory loss and especially the loss of their vocabulary). Quite frankly I didn't really connect with any of these characters.

There just wasn't enough creepy and freaky in this. It was a lot of running and hiding and that got old fast. My favorite creepy part was definitely the showdown between Alex and Michael. It was gory but it was fast paced and interesting. I was also left unsatisfied with the ending. It kind of felt like the author just gave up on the book. I don't really see what the sequel will be on but as I have already committed myself on Netgalley to reading it I guess I'll find out. This book wasn't bad but it also wasn't good; it was just okay. ( )
  dpappas | Dec 12, 2014 |
To Lynn
It's well know - part fact, part punch line - that people in New York think a great deal about real estate.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316198560, Hardcover)

Critically celebrated novelist Scott Spencer delivers a Rosemary's Baby-like novel of gothic horror, set against the backdrop of modern-day Upper East Side Manhattan.

Alex and Leslie Twisden lead charmed lives-fabulous jobs, a luxurious town house on Manhattan's Upper East Side, a passionate marriage. What they don't have is a child, and as they try one infertility treatment after the next, yearning turns into obsession. As a last-ditch attempt to make their dream of parenthood come true, Alex and Leslie travel deep into Slovenia, where they submit to a painful and terrifying procedure that finally gives them what they so fervently desire . . . but with awful consequences.

Ten years later, cosseted and adored but living in a house of secrets, the twins Adam and Alice find themselves locked into their rooms every night, with sounds coming from their parents' bedroom getting progressively louder, more violent, and more disturbing.

Driven to a desperate search for answers, Adam and Alice set out on a quest to learn the true nature of the man and woman who raised them. Their discovery will upend everything they thought they knew about their parents and will reveal a threat so horrible that it must be escaped, at any cost.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:01 -0400)

A couple obsessed with their infertility travels to Slovenia to have an unusual and painful procedure that results in horrible consequences they manage to hide until their twins, Adam and Alice, turn ten years old and start asking questions.

77 wanted3 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Breed by Chase Novak was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,195,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible