The Other Woman by Hank Phillippi Ryan

The Other Woman (edition 2012)

by Hank Phillippi Ryan

Title:The Other Woman
Authors:Hank Phillippi Ryan
Info:Forge Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 416 pages

The Other Woman by Hank Phillippi Ryan

Reporter Jane Ryland lost her job and was slapped with a million-dollar lawsuit when she refused to give up a source implicating tycoon Arthur Vick in having a relationship with a prostitute. As a result, Ryland is forced to switch from TV to newspaper reporting. Her new assignment is to interview the wife of a senatorial candidate, while her desk mate is chasing Boston's biggest story -- a serial killer dubbed the Bridge Killer who is on the loose. But as Ryland uncovers scandal, her life becomes endangered, perhaps from the Bridge Killer. Ryan, herself an investigative reporter for a NBC affiliate, weaves Ryland's personal life and relationship with Detective Jake Brogan into the story of betrayal, corruption, and murder. This novel is the first in the Jane Ryland series.
  ktoonen | Jul 26, 2016 |
Hank Phillippi Ryan’s THE OTHER WOMAN, is another winner with a mix of mystery, and a scandalous crime political thriller.

The story begins with Channel 11, News television star, Jane Elizabeth Ryland having lost her job after reporting Grocery Store Magnate Arthur Vick's affair with a high priced hooker. Determined to honor her decision and promise to not divulge her source; the source disappeared and Vick was successful in his million dollar slander judgment that led to her termination.

She currently is starting over, working as a lowly reporter for the Boston Register, a local newspaper, (thanks to connections of friend, Jake) which is not all that exciting, until she gets assigned to the investigation of a candidate in the Senate race - The former Massachusetts governor, Owen Lassiter.

It appears his wife, Moira, is convinced that he is having an affair with a campaign volunteer. Of course the big question is “the other woman" a scandal which could prove devastating to the campaign. He is also running against wealthy Eleanor "Ellie" Mead Gable.

On a six month trial basis, Jane is assigned to the Senate campaign coverage while her desk mate, Tucker "Tuck" Cameron is assigned to cover the murders. The paper is following a story of the "Bridge Killer", after bodies of women are found by various bridges and seem to involve foul play in which Jake is the lead detective. Is there a link between the cases?

Two bodies of unidentified women have been found by bridges and when the body count rises, the third victim turns out to be someone connected to the case involving Jane’s dismissal from T.V. Jane and Jake begin to realize their cases may be related. As the story develops a total of four young dead women are pulled from the river. Much to the public's dismay, the Boston Police Department is yet to be convinced it is the work of one murderer.

Jane and Jake have an obvious attraction to one another, but know that a potential relationship would be sabotaged by their professional need to keep work related information secret from one another. In addition, there is Hot Alex, her boss.

From their sizzling attraction, Jake and Jane work together to find a ruthless killer for fast- paced action with twists and turns, keeping your guessing, as the candidates' skeletons surface, as the election approaches; with a juicy and scandalous novel of dirty politics, intrigue, infidelity, secrets, revenge, betrayal, and murder.

My first book by Ryan was her latest, TRUTH BE TOLD (Jane Ryland & Jake Brogan #3), highly recommend; I enjoy her storytelling, as compelling and hooks you from beginning to end. I am currently making my way backward to her previous books. The author’s background is definitely reflective throughout the book which makes for a suspenseful and adrenaline high captivating novel.

I listened to the audiobook and the narrator, Ilyana Kadushin delivered a pleasing performance. Look forward to reading more from this Jane/Jake duo-- Ryan has made it to my favorite author list!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 26, 2014 |
Politicians do make for strange bedfellows...and this may be the strangest yet.
Hank Phillippi Ryan, writes power-driven fiction that mimics the high-stakes political and investigative reporting theme that just may be closer to the truth than we want. She knows exactly what she is writing about from her own life experience of investigative reporting. The main character is Jane Ryland, former top reporter for television who has been blackballed for not revealing her source in a high profile murder.

Taken on a six-month trial by a newspaper editor who happens to believe in her, she finds herself whisked away to political rallies, interviews and press releases. She also interviews the Lassiter's wife for background. At the same time, her good friend Jake is investigating a series of deaths that may or may not be connected to each other and just may be vindicating Jane for not revealing her source which got her fired from her last job along with an unbelievable debt.

Non-stop action in this story, don't put it down, you might miss something! This book is fascinating in its tension, thriller action and mystery. Who is the stunning but elusive Mrs. Wilks? Is there a serial killer? Just when you think you have the answers, the story takes a 180 and starts you on a new thread. The final answers are surprising. Will Jake and Jane throw caution to the wind and begin a relationship? Well, that will have to be another story. ( )
1 vote readerbynight | May 19, 2014 |
Was listening on audio, phone crashed and realized I wasn't enjoying this book enough to bother with reloading the book and finding the spot somewhere near the middle that I'd last listened. ( )
1 vote | she_climber | Mar 11, 2014 |
For what it is, I liked this book. I will say that I wish it had a little more substance. Formulaic and a bit predictable , I guess I would categorize it as summer beach read kind of book. The main character, Jane Ryland is a bit one dimensional, but perhaps that's only because this is the first in that I assume is going to be a series of books. She also doesn't seem to be as bright as the writer would like her to be. She does not display the objectivity a reporter of her presented caliber should possess, makes several rookie mistakes and is bit romantically stunted. Being romantically stunted would be o.k. if it was a character trait, but it seemed to me it was the author's inability or unwillingness to deal with the sex life of a single woman that made the character come off that way.
The author is reporter and writes like one: short sentences and a heavy reliance on dialogue to propel the story. I guess I expected more from her, but Ill go ahead and read her second one to see if she adds a bit more dimension.
That being said, all in all its a quick and enjoyable read for a lazy summer day or cold snowy night.
1 vote shevener | Mar 5, 2014 |

Tracking down a candidate's secret mistress days before a pivotal Senate election, reporter Jane Ryland discovers links between her story and a serial killer investigation by detective Jake Brogan, with whom she partners to stop a killer in the face of dirty politics and betrayal.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,814,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible