The Other Woman by Hank Phillippi Ryan

The Other Woman (edition 2012)

by Hank Phillippi Ryan

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:2012

The Other Woman by Hank Phillippi Ryan

Politicians do make for strange bedfellows...and this may be the strangest yet.
Hank Phillippi Ryan, writes power-driven fiction that mimics the high-stakes political and investigative reporting theme that just may be closer to the truth than we want. She knows exactly what she is writing about from her own life experience of investigative reporting. The main character is Jane Ryland, former top reporter for television who has been blackballed for not revealing her source in a high profile murder.

Taken on a six-month trial by a newspaper editor who happens to believe in her, she finds herself whisked away to political rallies, interviews and press releases. She also interviews the Lassiter's wife for background. At the same time, her good friend Jake is investigating a series of deaths that may or may not be connected to each other and just may be vindicating Jane for not revealing her source which got her fired from her last job along with an unbelievable debt.

Non-stop action in this story, don't put it down, you might miss something! This book is fascinating in its tension, thriller action and mystery. Who is the stunning but elusive Mrs. Wilks? Is there a serial killer? Just when you think you have the answers, the story takes a 180 and starts you on a new thread. The final answers are surprising. Will Jake and Jane throw caution to the wind and begin a relationship? Well, that will have to be another story. ( )
1 vote readerbynight | May 19, 2014 |
Was listening on audio, phone crashed and realized I wasn't enjoying this book enough to bother with reloading the book and finding the spot somewhere near the middle that I'd last listened. ( )
1 vote | she_climber | Mar 11, 2014 |
For what it is, I liked this book. I will say that I wish it had a little more substance. Formulaic and a bit predictable , I guess I would categorize it as summer beach read kind of book. The main character, Jane Ryland is a bit one dimensional, but perhaps that's only because this is the first in that I assume is going to be a series of books. She also doesn't seem to be as bright as the writer would like her to be. She does not display the objectivity a reporter of her presented caliber should possess, makes several rookie mistakes and is bit romantically stunted. Being romantically stunted would be o.k. if it was a character trait, but it seemed to me it was the author's inability or unwillingness to deal with the sex life of a single woman that made the character come off that way.
The author is reporter and writes like one: short sentences and a heavy reliance on dialogue to propel the story. I guess I expected more from her, but Ill go ahead and read her second one to see if she adds a bit more dimension.
That being said, all in all its a quick and enjoyable read for a lazy summer day or cold snowy night.
1 vote shevener | Mar 5, 2014 |
Hank Phillippi Ryan is a class act. That's clear from her acknowledgments at the end of "The Other Woman", when she mentions all the people who contributed to her successful new novel. It's also indicative of the author's character development and plotting. Ms. Phillippi Ryan is very much a "people person", and her attention to the nuances of relationships adds a richness and vibrancy to her mysteries.

This book was like a really well-made paella. You want to savor every bite as you make your way through all the delicious flavors. The interplay of aroma and taste sends the senses reeling, awakening the gourmet in a reader who enjoys a well-prepared dish of crime stew.

Politics is a blood sport in Massachusetts, where dirty tricks, strong arming, and other tricks of the trade drive elections. Owen Lassiter and Eleanor Gable, locked in the final weeks of a tight Senate race, are campaigning hard when calamity strikes. Is one candidate hiding some ugly secrets from voters? Do the people have a right to know the intimate details of a potential leader's personal life?

Jane Ryland, intrepid reporter for a prominent Boston TV station, was fired for what appeared to be a professional gaffe -- did she smear the powerful businessman, Arthur Vick, when she alleged that he engaged in criminal behavior in a sex-for-hire case? Stuck with the moniker of "Wrong-Guy Ryland", Jane is forced to rebuild her career in the world of journalism where reputation is everything, and without a solid one, no reporter will be trusted -- by colleagues, by sources, or even by the public.

What I love about this book is the romantic dance between Jane and the wonderfully appealing Boston police detective, Jake Brogan. Schooled in legal ethics up to his ear lobes, Jake is a perfect partner for Jane's equally ethical reporter personna. While others never question their means of tracking down a story or a case, these two do, and it drives them to get to the truth of what happened. By the same token, Jane and Jake are not above getting sneaky when it could pay off big, and that need to dig often puts them in harm's way. Tuck, the young, still rough-around-the-edges reporter, and DeLuca, Jake's too-quick-to-mark-the-case-closed partner, are great foils, often forcing Jane and Jake to put the brakes on the wild ride.

Ms. Phillippi Ryan's writing style, which I thoroughly enjoyed in "Drive Time", manages to get to the heart of her heroines by respecting their personalities as individuals. The pacing here reflects Jane's mindset, as she pokes her way through the clues to get to the bottom of a very messy, convoluted set of circumstances that may or may not be connected. At one point, the chapters were reduced to a few pages, flying by as the action heated up. It added some wonderful tension to the story, giving readers a sense of the minute-by-minute life of a busy reporter.

The author does not disappoint with the rather large crowd of potential suspects, and she sets her main character to the task of sorting through the facts to find the killers. Motive matters, and as each of the characters reveals more of himself or herself to Jane and to Jake, they begin to show their true colors, good or bad. Throughout the story, people are people. They make mistakes. It's what they do in the aftermath that creates the heart of the story. Jane Ryland may slip and fall in a cemetery late at night, but she manages to get back up and stay alive by using her head. Smart heroines are worth their weight in gold.

I enjoyed this tale from the first chapter through the last because the author's pacing matched the action in a way that propelled the reader forward. Towards the end, I felt a twinge of regret that I would have to finish the book and move on to the next great read. Luckily, this is August. "The Wrong Girl", Ms. Phillippi Ryan's sequel, is due out in September. That means that we will have more of "Right-Guy Ryland" and her circle of crime solvers very soon. Olé! ( )
1 vote sarambarton | Aug 8, 2013 |
The book jacket says "first in a series.". I think it can be a good one. Boston locale. Print journalism and police cooperation. Plenty of excitement, twists and turns. Good characters. Waiting for the next one. ( )
1 vote librarian1204 | May 12, 2013 |

Tracking down a candidate's secret mistress days before a pivotal Senate election, reporter Jane Ryland discovers links between her story and a serial killer investigation by detective Jake Brogan, with whom she partners to stop a killer in the face of dirty politics and betrayal.… (more)

37 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,014,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible